Savoring Spices and Herbs: Recipe Secrets of Flavor, Aroma, and Color

Savoring Spices and Herbs: Recipe Secrets of Flavor, Aroma, and Color

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Sahni's surprisingly simple yet extraordinarily delicious recipes will transform readers into kitchen alchemists. Employing eye-opening explanations of the chemical properties and sensory qualities of more than 100 herbs and spices, Sahni teaches readers how to unleash and enhance food flavor. 200+ recips. of color illustrations.
Published December 31st 1996 by William Morrow & Company (first published June 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Savoring Spices and Herbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savoring Spices and Herbs

E.M. Lynley
This is one of my favorite cookbooks, and a go-to book for dinner parties and potlucks. I have over 100 cookbooks, so if I choose to make a dish again, it's a strong endorsement.

Full of wonderful, flavorful and easy dishes that I have made many times and always get compliments from dinner party guests.

If you like trying new combinations and a variety of spices, you'll enjoy this one. Some of my favorites are:

Escabeche of Chicken in Allspice sauce
Mint Pilaf
Orange-Cinnamon Pilaf
Chicken Braised in...more
Happyreader
I don't know why this cookbook isn't more popular, especially consider how popular her Indian cookbooks are. This cookbook is more accessible to most cooks. Great spice information and the recipes are simple and tasty. Contains my favorite brussels sprouts and cauliflower recipes.
Andres Kitos
Andres Kitos marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Arpita
Arpita marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Nada
Nada added it
Aug 15, 2014
Rod
Rod added it
Dec 15, 2013
David Mchenry
David Mchenry marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Monique Potel
Monique Potel marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Rachel
Rachel added it
Feb 03, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Nov 28, 2012
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2012
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Foxthyme
Foxthyme marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2011
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 04, 2011
Kamran
Kamran added it
Sep 21, 2010
Classic Indian Cooking Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking Savoring India: Recipes and Reflections on Indian Cooking (Williams-Sonoma: The Savoring Series) Classic Indian Vegetarian Cookery Julie Sahni's Introduction to Indian Cooking