Start by marking “C: Because Cowards Get Cancer Too” as Want to Read:
C: Because Cowards Get Cancer Too

C: Because Cowards Get Cancer Too

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  296 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Paperback
Published April 8th 1999 by Vermilion (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C

Gretchen
Dec 04, 2013 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I’ve read several memoirs of cancer survivors, and several more advice-type books about how to deal with cancer, and (as a fellow cancer survivor) this is the one I’d recommend. I read Lance Armstrong’s book, and I loved it, but I'd recommend this first. He captures so eloquently what it means to be uncertain about how long you’re going to live and how it feels to deal with people who just don’t know what to do with you, and he’s such a beautiful and funny writer about everything that happens th ...more
Ericthehamster
"This is a funny and moving account of a man's fight with cancer (which he subsequently lost). John Diamond was a (London) Times journalist who wrote weekly columns covering his battle. I found the book sad but uplifting (as a lot of these books do, they end up portraying endurance and - despite the title - courage, in a way which manages to avoid mawkishness)."
Gwen
Dec 04, 2013 Gwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Diamond tells us in no uncertain times what it is like to live with, and to be dying from cancer. It is a horrible irony that someone so articulate should be struck with cancer of the tongue therefore leaving writing as his primary outlet. The disease does not dampen his dry wit so prepare to be entertained as well as educated about the 'C' word.
Alison
Dec 04, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
Interesting, well-written and frightening. Stirred up my emotions knowing the author died but he writes with humour dealing with a difficult subject.
Susan
Dec 04, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013books
Shortly before his 44th birthday, John Diamond received a call from the doctor who had removed a lump from his neck. Having been assured for the previous 2 years that this was a benign cyst, Diamond was told that it was, in fact, cancerous. Suddenly, this man who'd until this point been one of the world's greatest hypochondriacs, was genuinely faced with mortality. And what he saw scared the wits out of him. Out of necessity, he wrote about his feelings in his TIMES column and the response was s ...more
brook
Dec 04, 2013 brook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i didn't even have time to move this from my "to-read" shelf to the "currently-reading" shelf. i got this book for christmas - i tried to avoid reading it during the holidays because i knew it would depress me. one night i couldn't resist any longer and i read it in 2 hours. i should probably preface this by saying that i harbor a strange fascination with the story of nigella lawson/john diamond. i've loved nigella and her shows for years, and recently learned about the death of her mother, sist ...more
BookAmbler
Apr 27, 2011 BookAmbler rated it liked it
I took full advantage of a train trip to Bedford, and then a very hot evening, to read this excellent book in a day. But despite that, I can’t give it more stars because a couple of years ago I read an even better one! I found "The Luxury of Time" by Jane and Mike Tomlinson to be a far more emotive and rollercoaster read.

The comparison, for me, is; male, self-confessed hypochondriac and largely self-centred versus female, incredibly unselfish, incredibly determined (and hence very motivating). T
Joanna
Dec 04, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it
This memoir is extremely well written; funny, but not in a way that made me laugh out loud. Diamond's humor is dry, black stuff since it covers his brush with one cancer treatment after the next, each one leaving him less intact. As a columnist and journalist, Diamond does a great job of documenting his experience, taking a step back from the panic of what he is going through to convey what cancer is like with both humanity and a morbid curiosity. This book gave me even more sympathy and insight ...more
Adrian
Jan 05, 2016 Adrian rated it really liked it
I remember seeing John Diamond on a late-night talkshow presented by Ruby Wax where she and showbiz mates would sit round a table eating and drinking. In one series, JD appeared sometime after surgery for his tongue cancer and was able to make himself understood by speaking if the others were quiet and paid attention to him. In the following series, he communicated only by writing notes to his fellow guests. It was a vivid depiction of what cancer treatment can entail.

This book is an uncompromis
Jill
Feb 01, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, cancer
Much of what is written in the cancer memoir genre is all about how having hope will save your life. Diamond does not believe this, and tells it how it is. Writing this ten years after reading, I don't remember details about the book, but I do remember it changed everything that I thought I knew about the cancer experience, and made me that much more compassionate for those who do not "Pollyanna" their way through cancer.
Denise
Dec 04, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A brutally honest account of the author's battle with throat cancer. He doesn't look for sympathy, but details his feelings as he struggles with the medical profession to get on top of the disease. Educational, funny, reflective, this is not what I would call an enjoyable book (especially when you know the outcome, although he was still alive when I read it) but one that I would recommend for an upfront story about the big C.
Anna
Dec 04, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How does someone write such a funny book about dying of cancer? But John does. He really attacks the concept of "bravely fighting" the disease - the concept of a hypochondriac's worst fears coming true - and his desire to moan, complain and give in. Excellent book. Also amusing the competition he feels between himself and Ruth Picardie (who's book I have also read and reviewed)
Alison
Dec 04, 2013 Alison added it
wonderful writing, witty and truthful. Times journalist writes about progress of his throat cancer for the year 1998. it killed him.in Feb 01 and he continued with more unputdownable columns and other writing. the cancer brought out some extraordinary and wonderful writing.
Joy Whyte
Dec 04, 2013 Joy Whyte rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in 1998, when it was published. Rereading it now, particularly with the knowledge that John Diamond died in 2001, I found it - again - an extraordinarily moving account of the author's experience of cancer.
Ian Fiddes
8/10. Despite the awful subject matter this is an easy read and very funny in places (yes, really!).
Louise Holman
Dec 04, 2013 Louise Holman rated it really liked it
Even though you know the ending this book still manages to offer hope. Much missed author.
Nat De-Freitas
Dec 04, 2013 Nat De-Freitas rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking, honest, sensitive - a great book by a great writer. He is sorely missed.
Sue Fray
Dec 04, 2013 Sue Fray rated it it was amazing
Funny, heartbreaking,un-put-downable and so re-readable.
Alison Horton
Dec 04, 2013 Alison Horton rated it it was amazing
Read it all in one go-harrowing!
Deena Simmons
Dec 04, 2013 Deena Simmons rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it.
Ginni Brinkley
Dec 04, 2013 Ginni Brinkley rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable.

Ayah Ristin
Feb 24, 2016 Ayah Ristin rated it it was amazing
Kinda depressing. Had to stop from reading every once in a while to soothe my aching heart. It was really harder to handle when you knew it was real. Cancer sucks and all that it brings and does.
Alisonismail
Feb 17, 2014 Alisonismail rated it liked it
Very sad, very well written. Made me relieved not to have known anyone getting cancer as little as ten or fifteen years ago.
Alan
Jun 18, 2014 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
from my 2002 notebook: both funny and terrifying about the humiliation and exposure that his terminal cancer causes.
Eliza
Jan 08, 2014 Eliza rated it really liked it
Finally got round to reading: dry, sad in the way Diamond himself defines the word and full of pathos as the ending is now too well known. Strangely (and selfishly) it also made me nostalgic for the late nineties through the tone, language and contemporary cultural references....and therefore, necessarily, dated.
Mike Ward
Dec 11, 2013 Mike Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blogged
A challenging but enjoyable (if enjoyable is the right word) take on one man's diagnosis and treatment for cancer - full review here:

Lisa Frame
Jun 19, 2014 Lisa Frame rated it really liked it
Read from the perspective of a nurse working with patients on a daily basis with Diamonds diagnosis and health crisis-I found this record of his intensely personal journey enlightening and very touching.
Mandy Downie
Aug 04, 2011 Mandy Downie rated it it was amazing
I understand a lot better now,before i read this book i was really struggling to understand my mum's death through cancer,this book has helped where no doctors have been able to . Really well written.
Sun
Jun 07, 2008 Sun rated it liked it
Shelves: bookaweek2006
UK columnist writes about the progression of his throat cancer and the treatments he endures. An interesting if not entirely enlightening account.
Marc
Wifey read this and wants to share with me. Also I like Nigella.
  • Before I Say Goodbye: Recollections and Observations from One Woman's Final Year
  • When I Die: Lessons from the Death Zone
  • Terry Fox: His Story (Revised)
  • Serpent in Paradise
  • Cartas Desde El Infierno/letters from Hell
  • Den of Lions: A Startling Memoir of Survival and Triumph
  • Evelyn: A True Story
  • Het zwijgen van Maria Zachea: een ware familiegeschiedenis
  • Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion
  • Dark Shadows Falling
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • To Hell and Back
  • Eva Peron: A Biography
  • The Human, the Orchid and the Octopus: Exploring and Conserving Our Natural World
  • Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure
  • Invisible Tears: The Abuse, The Rebellion, The Survival, Despite All Odds
  • I.M. Ischa Meijer - In Margine. In Memoriam
  • Gig: The Life and Times of a Rock-Star Fantasist
John Diamond was a British broadcaster and journalist.
In 1997, Diamond was diagnosed with throat cancer. He wrote about his experiences with cancer in his newspaper column, for which he won the prestigious What The Papers Say award. In 1999 he was shortlisted for the Samuel Johnson Prize for his book C: Because Cowards Get Cancer Too.... A BBC documentary was filmed for Inside Story which followed
More about John Diamond...