Start by marking “The Quiet” as Want to Read:
The Quiet

The Quiet

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  37 reviews
James Benton might be the last man on earth. Racing to get to work, he finds random abandoned cars, smoldering pile-ups, and something even stranger. Everywhere he goes there's no grass, no people, not even a bird in the sky. Alone in a barren world, James travels west in search of someone, anyone who might have survived The Quiet.
Paperback, Chapbook Edition, 60 pages
Published August 18th 2011 by Empire of Blood Books (first published July 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet

Marvin
Another end of the world novella. Fortunately there are no zombies but there is something just as bad. James Benton wakes up to find he may be the last human on earth. In fact, considering birds, trees, and even grass has disappeared, he may be the last living thing on earth.

End of the world tales are a dime a dozen any more. This one starts out differently and holds the promise of adding something new to the genre. Unfortunately that is not to be the case. The plot becomes fairly predictable qu
Jade Warwick
The Quiet is a short novella (about sixty pages) about a man named James who wakes up one morning to find that he's the only living thing left on the planet. The story follows him as he searches for his brother, or for anyone that might still be alive, while being stalked by something black in the sky, twisted dreams, and the inexplicable knowledge that something bad has happened and that he might just be next.

Overall, this seemed like such an interesting concept. I heard good things about it,
Michael Thompson
I'm not exactly 100% sure how I feel about this book, so for the time being I'm going to give it a 3/5.

The story, itself, was interesting; a man struggling to perceive what happened to his world and trying to discover if he is or is not alone among living things. I think the problem for me is simply a problem I have with a lot of short fiction--something about it feels superficial or incomplete. I have a hard time truly enjoying short works because I'm used to reading large novels by authors who
Glenn Rolfe
This is the second piece of fiction I have read from Robert S. Wilson. Overall I gave it 3 stars. I absolutely loved the set up and was wondering where it was going...then he brought the main character's ride to a halt. That's where a lot of the reviewers at Amazon started crying. I believe this is one of Wilson's earlier works and so he is entitled to a few skid marks. The big complaint I see from others is that he leaves you with too many questions. For me, that's not a problem. I like my fict ...more
D. Ward
Great novella! Wilson's beginning does draw the reader in and, as others have observed, is evocative of the old Twilight Zone pilot episode. So it was, for me, sweetly nostalgic in a way. Other reviewers have also offered up the opinion that THE QUIET stalled about 3/4 of the way in but I disagree. I would counter that it does not stall but leaves the reader wanting more. When the conflict was resolved, the end came about quickly and was very open to further possibilities. I found myself wonderi ...more
Jessica
Although this is categorized as a Novella, it felt more like a short story with no actual plot. As for being titled THE QUIET, I don't feel that the quiet actually lasted all that long in the story. It wasn't a terrible story to read and if you're looking for something dark and strange but quick reading, this would be a good pick. It's not plagued with spelling or grammatical errors but in all honesty, it's certainly not one of the best I've ever read either.
Trish
An interesting little novella, felt just like a Twilight Zone episode. It does a good job of ramping up quickly and giving you what you need to get into the story. It left me wondering how the hell everyone died; I mean not even a drop of blood or speck of dust?? I don't think I liked the ending; the end of humanity was certain, it was just a matter how long it would take. It doesn't leave you with a warm and fuzzy, just like the Twilight Zone.
Richard Flores IV
There are lots of ways you can spend a dollar. However, one of the best ways you can do it is by purchasing this Novella. The Quiet is a great story that could easily sell for far more. Wilson tells the tale of an ordinary man who wakes up in a world where seemingly all life as vanished literally over night.

This is a well written story with great voice, gritty detail, and raw emotions. Purchase this story for a great read for a great price.
Meaghan
This was a decent novella. The idea was interesting but I never felt completely absorbed in the story. I feel like there needed to be something else that really helps the reader connect with the main character (but I'm not sure what that something else is necessarily).
Robert Wilson
Dec 24, 2011 Robert Wilson added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Kindle version of The Quiet: A Novella is free from today on through December 28th on Amazon.com! Be sure and snag a copy before it goes back to the regular price! http://www.amazon.com/The-Quiet-A-Nov...
Jennifer Wilson
This is an interesting story that poses the question of, "What would happen if you woke up one morning and virtually everyone else on the face of the planet was gone?" definitely worth the read!!
Laurie Gienapp
perhaps a 1 is unfair.. I liked the concept, liked the story, but found the writing to be terribly inadequate... to the point that it spoiled my enjoyment of the story.
Mary
A fun little tale, although it seems to be just starting when it ends.
Naomi
A quick read that gives you the "Twilight Zone" feeling....
James
Creepy short that was really enjoyable
Jeff Smith
Interesting story.
Todd Russell
I enjoyed the beginning of The Quiet and was fondly reminded of Rod Serling's pilot for The Twilight Zone called "Where is Everybody?" I was hopeful that this might go somewhere as unique and interesting. Once I learned what happened, however, my interest in the story waned.

Formatting? There was an extra space between paragraphs on the Kindle that threw me out of the story a few times. I kept thinking this was a scene break. I got used to the format as time went on, but this is different than ma
Robert Wilson
Dec 15, 2012 Robert Wilson added it  ·  (Review from the author)
All of my titles are on sale for the holidays:

In Dark Reaches: Kindle $.99 Smashwords: $.99 1-year subscription: $5.99 on my website

Shining in Crimson: Kindle: $2.99 Trade Paperback: $9.99

The Quiet: A Novella: Kindle: $.99 Trade Paperback: $5.99

Forcipules: FREE on Smashwords!

Born to Kill: FREE on Smashwords!
Paul Dail
I would've probably actually gone with a 3.5 out of 5 if given the opportunity.

I did enjoy the story. It started out with a little bit of the feel of King's Langoliers, but as it progressed, the author certainly made it his own. I like how he jumped right into the action with the main character waking up in a changed world (and I like that it took him a little bit to figure out that things had changed, something the reader suspects from page one), and while many might complain at the lack of an
TW Brown
The Quiet by Robert S. Wilson has one of those opening scenes that draws you in and has you reading so fast that your eyes get whiplash. It had me on the edge of my seat and anxious. The mood was set and well maintained. I cared about the central character and felt his anxiety and trepidation. You are just as confused as the narrator (in a good way) as he tries to understand.

Unfortunately, I felt that the intensity waned and it just seemed to fade into a so-so offering. Perhaps the author was ma
Frank
I want more of this story. Make this novella a novel and then make it a trilogy. Thank you.
Jim C
A quick story about waking up one day and the world is totally different. I enjoyed this book. I gave it three stars. I cannot give a novella a higher rating because of length of the story. Not enough time to be totally invested so this one received my highest rating for a novella. I thought the author did a good job with the character not knowing what was happening. I could feel the tension of the character. If you want a quick read that will keep your interest, I would give this one a try.
Ryan
The premise of this novella was really great! The first 2/3rds of the story were interesting and had me wanting to read more. But the end was fairly lackluster and had me thinking to myself, "the author decided to do that...?" The setting, premise, and action were all well done, but the execution at the end left me wondering. It's short, so I'd say try it!
Bethica
This started off as a great book. I fell in love with his apocolyptic premise right away. He got sloppy about half way through and lost me from there. A small community of people that figured everything out in a few short hours and knew instantly how to tell real from false. The beginning was great. The end needed lots of work.
Tom Loock
Simply disappointing. Among the end of the world-stories, which these day are a dime for ten dozen, this one has nothing new to offer, is not exactly well-written and when it comes to logic/credibility (albeit in a fictional environment) the holes in the story are very big.
Naomi
I could not warm up to this story no matter how hard I tried. I frequently found my mind wandering. It just couldn't keep my interest.I agree with the reviewer who stated that this book was most like the Twilight Zone.
M.B.
The story simply didn't capture my attention. I hate not finishing a book, but I just wasn't drawn into the story and didn't particularly care about what happened to the main character
Heather
A very short novella. Interesting premise, but the science behind it was flawed, which irritated me. Too short for me to feel anything about the main character.
Michael
Just a quick review: the booked started with such excitement and wanting for my attention, but the ending unfortunately wasn't for me. A sighful moment.
  • World's Collider: A Shared-World Anthology
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 3
  • Freeze
  • Butterfly Potion
  • Chasing Spirits - The Memoirs of Reginald Weldon
  • Cursed! (With Bonus Material!)
  • All Hallow's Eve
  • Preta's Realm: The Haunting (The Hidden Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • The Final Winter
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • Cure (Strandville Zombie Series, #1)
Robert S. Wilson is the author of SHINING IN CRIMSON and FADING IN DARKNESS, books one and two of his dystopian vampire series: EMPIRE OF BLOOD. He is a Bram Stoker Award-nominated editor of HORROR FOR GOOD: A CHARITABLE ANTHOLOGY and lives in Middle Tennessee with his wife and two kids. His short stories have appeared in/will appear in [NAMELESS] MAGAZINE from Cycatrix Press, HORROR D'OEUVRES fro ...more
More about Robert S. Wilson...
Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1) What Happens in Vegas... Born to Kill: A Short Supernatural Thriller Fading in Darkness (Empire of Blood, #2) Exit Reality: A Ray Garret/Lifeline Techno Thriller