Start by marking “Who Stole the Wizard of Oz?” as Want to Read:
Who Stole the Wizard of Oz?

Who Stole the Wizard of Oz?

One of Newbery Honor author Avi's most popular middle-grade mysteries is available in paper once again.  The mystery revolves around a rare edition of The Wizard of Oz missing from the local library. When Becky is accused of stealing it, she and her twin brother Toby set out to catch the real thief and prove her innocence. Clues cleverly hidden in four other books lead to ...more
Published January 20th 1990 by Yearling (first published January 4th 1981)

Morgan
Aug 26, 2011 Morgan rated it it was ok
This was a fun, fanciful book. This book could pick up a lot of student interest in other, more classical "children's literature" including The Wizard of Oz, Whinnie The Pooh, Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, Treasure Island, and The Wind in the Willows. This book talks about looking deeper into what we read, and making connections, indeed an important theme of this book is that books can lead you to treasure... However, just as Becky and Toby find-- the treasure that books lead yo ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
May 08, 2014 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
Now here is a book with great ending! Fast moving plot, exciting clues and twists, and a meaningful message. I recommend to everyone, especially those who love children's literature or enjoy libraries.
Portia
Feb 23, 2017 Portia rated it really liked it
I do a small reading group with my 3rd graders and we recently just finished the book. They enjoyed it. It kept you guessing who was the thief. All in all it was a good read.
Sandra
Sep 06, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it
Some books were stolen from Checkertown Library: The Wizard of Oz, Wihhie-the-Pooh, The Wind in the Willows, Treasure Island, and Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. After being questioned by the police, Becky decides to discover who the thief was. She is eager to make clear she has nothing to do with the robbery. Her twin brother Toby is eager to help her. They will soon figure out these books have the leading clues to what they suspect is a treasure.

This short book is not onl
Books Kids Like
Oct 10, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Shelves: avi
When a robbery occurs at the Checkertown Library, Becky is the prime suspect. The afternoon before the library’s book sale, Becky had offered to buy the copy of The Wizard of Oz. Now it and four other books from the sale are missing. Becky and Toby discover that most of the other children's books being sold had been owned by Gertrude Tobias. More specifically, they learn that the five stolen books were Miss Cynthia McPhearson's inheritance from her aunt, Miss Tobias. Cynthia was deeply disappoin ...more
Kaye
Feb 06, 2011 Kaye rated it really liked it
Who stole the Wizard of Oz? Avi Who stole the Wizard of Oz? Avi Derek James. 1981 Becky and her brother Toby spend a lot of time at the public library and are accused of thinking the famous book "The Wizard of Oz". They go back to the library that night and in their search they discover other famous books are missing. The clues were found in famous books. A fast paced book that keeps you guessing all the way to the end.."Through the Looking Glass". Novel / Chapter Book Becky and her brother use ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jan 21, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: released
Who Stole the Wizard of Oz? by Avi is a good introduction to the literary mystery. Think of it as akin to The Bookman's Promise but for younger readers.

Here detectives are fraternal twins Becky and Toby. Becky has the bad luck of being accused of stealing a set rare books that had been set aside for the library sale: The Wizard of Oz, The Wind in the Willows, Peter Pan, and Through the Looking Glass.

While The Wizard of Oz is the impetus for the mystery, the heart and soul of the mystery is hidde
Art
Feb 10, 2017 Art rated it really liked it
Shelves: twins, libraries
Avi knows how to write them.
Another good one of his works.
Worth the read.
Carmine
Sep 30, 2009 Carmine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 3-5th graders
Recommended to Carmine by: 4th grade patron
Soon to be 6th grader Becky is accused by the town librarian of stealing five old, possibly vaulable classic children's books from the library booksale. She is innocent and sets out with the help of her twin brother to find out who really took the books? The local rare book dealer? The ice-queen kids book hating 6th grade teacher? The cleaning lady of the rich woman who left the books to her teacher niece? red herrings, clues in books, hidden maps and a stakeout in the library make this a fun in ...more
Jim
May 07, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it
good book for third forth fifth graders. well written - it is by Avi. but the book assumes a couple well read kids haven't read Treasure Island, Alice, Wizard of Oz, Winnie the Pooh and the Wind in the Willows. Shouldn't a kid in Ohio have read at least Winnie the Pooh?
the pb copy i have has nice illos by Derek James. and , this dates me, the one of the bitter sixth grade teacher Miss McPhearson looks just like Kristy McNichol from Family. and every other white girl (and guy) from 1978. remembe
Erin Hansen
Oct 09, 2016 Erin Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed reading this chapter book. I would place this fiction mystery at an intermediate reading level. This story leads the reader through a series of clues and kids investigating who stole a book from the library to find out who did it and an even deeper secret! I think a lot of kids will enjoy it because of the mystery clues and the book's ability to keep my interest and wanting to find out who the culprit was! I can picture this book being used for read aloud and working on making p ...more
Lorena Salazar
Dec 05, 2013 Lorena Salazar rated it liked it
Shelves: 9th-grade
The book was filled with mystery.Becky as acused of robbing a childrens's book.Becky started finding clues to prove her not guilty.Becky and her sister Toby went to the libary and maps that led them to the treasure, miss Tobias left miss Nepherson or anyone else.Tob and Becky found the treasure that miss Tobias left and it was a Alice in wonderland book. the book was a treasure at the end becase miss Tobias said'a good children book is a book of prmises'.And promise are to be keep,and shared.
Denise Kettering
Nov 17, 2011 Denise Kettering rated it really liked it
This book is a great mystery for kids and the tale provides enough clues that kids can solve the mystery as they go along. Becky and Toby are accused of having stolen a rare book from the library. They set out to solve the mystery of who really stole the book and along the way discover that there is actually a treasure map involved. They find themselves racing against time to beat the thief to find the treasure.
Katie Jackson
Oct 15, 2011 Katie Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Becky loves to read but she is acccused of stealing a famous book, The Wizzard of Oz. Becky is furious that someone would accuse her so she gets her brother Toby to help her solve the mystery. The siblings realize that other famous books are missing from the library. The twins also realize the famous books have clues to direct them to secret treasure. This book would be a good start to teaching about classic famous books.
Marika Gillis
Who Stole The Wizard of Oz is a cute story about twins who solve a mystery about some books that are missing from their local library. I read this book today so I can use it with a reading group in 4th grade. It will be a good story to use for making inferences, problem/solution, and sequencing events, although I am a little worried about the kids being able to keep all the characters straight- many of them are referred to as Miss or Mrs in the book. I'm definitely a fan of Avi.
Nancy
Mar 09, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Part of the 4th grade language arts curriculum. My 4th/5th graders are doing literature groups this week and next, so I am trying to read all of the books they are reading. This story is a quick little mystery about twins trying to discover who stole 5 possibly valuable books from the library book sale.
Alissa
Oct 17, 2009 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book was perfect for a kid, but I really wish they would go back and rewrite the book. I thought it was such a clever, clever idea for a story and wished that more detail had been given. I would rewrite the book myself, but then I would know the ins and outs of the mystery and that would spoil the surprise!
Sharon
Oct 25, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My recent beef with Avi has been documented elsewhere, but this book had me rethinking my criticisms. It was a fun, light mystery romp aimed at very young readers, and I enjoyed it. So I guess the verdict's still out after all.
A. Somers
Jun 27, 2013 A. Somers rated it it was ok
Shelves: student-books
Some books are mising from the town library. Becky is a usspect in the robbert. She and her twin brother act as detectives to clear her name. Where these books actulally clues to a lost treasure? This is a short plot driven story with a very heavy handed message about the joy of reading and "treasures" found in books. This is not one of my favorite Avi books.
Ellen Ramsey
Jun 17, 2012 Ellen Ramsey rated it really liked it
In this mystery, the clues are cleverly "hidden" in books--Through the Looking Glass, Treasure Island, Winnie-the-Pooh, The Wizard of Oz, Wind in the Willows. I loved following Becky and Toby as they follow the clues through the Checkertown Library.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This was a cute mystery, which I thought would be right up my alley, as far as kids' books go, but it wasn't as great as I'd hoped. It did make me want to read (or re-read) the classics that it keeps alluding to though! Quick fun read, but not a must-read.
Brianna
Jan 10, 2009 Brianna rated it liked it
Who stole the Wizard of Oz is was a prefect book for me.I love mystery books, and this was toatly one.I had to keep on reading it till I finshed it. But the cool part about the book is that you had to read it to the end to find out the big questoin, Who stole the Wizard of Oz.
Kendra
May 01, 2009 Kendra rated it really liked it
I read this years ago (probably when I was in 5th grade) but I still remember really enjoying it. I had to look it up and find the title again so that I could remember it for the future. As I recall it was fun, creative, and interesting.
Charley Peralta
Jul 23, 2013 Charley Peralta rated it it was ok
Excitement was gone and totally will made you sleep until part 12. Sometimes clue are catchy but not to the point that will give something to think. and What is the Word leave it to the kids. better to bring some DICTIONARY..... "WORDY" could i say.
Mrs Brunson
Aug 30, 2012 Mrs Brunson rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed trying to solve this mystery! I also liked the way Avi weaved other books into this story. It makes me want to go back and read or re-read The Wizard of Oz, Alice Through the Looking Glass and other books he mentioned!
Michelle
Jan 20, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
A great beginning chapter book for those who love a mystery. When Becky and Toby set out on a mission they let nothing get in their way! Two determined kids set out to discover who really stole The Wizard of Oz book from the library after Becky is accused of this "crime".
JoAnn
May 23, 2009 JoAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: primary-school
i solved the problem before the characters! how sweet is that!
i read this during my avi unit at school; liked this one a little more than the others, but NOTHING BEATS don't you know there's a war on.
Brandie
May 20, 2008 Brandie rated it it was amazing
Great mystery,always something new, for young children.
Alexis Munk
Oct 18, 2016 Alexis Munk rated it did not like it
I hated this book. It was not interesting at all. My students were very confused throughout the book. After my first group read it I put it back onto the shelf and decided not to use it again.
Sep 15, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
I thought it was a good read. I read it with my sister and it was really fun!
  • Voices after Midnight
  • Click Here to Start
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • A Barnstormer in Oz
  • Girls to the Rescue: Just a Girl, #2
  • Skinnybones
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Henry & the Crazed Chicken Pirates
  • The Fear Place
  • The Dark Lady (Sherlock, Lupin, and Me #1)
  • Rust: The Boy Soldier
  • Morning Girl
  • Great Piratical Rumbustification: & the Librarian and the Robbers
  • The Flying Chinese Wonders (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #7)
  • Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten
  • The Case of the Disappearing Princess (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #9)
  • In The Stone Circle
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...