প্রথম প্রতিশ্রুতি
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

প্রথম প্রতিশ্রুতি (সত্যবতী, সুবর্ণলতা, বকুল ট্রিলজি #1)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Story of an uncommon woman who dared to break the the so-called ruled made to control the lives of the-then bengali women.
509 pages
Published by Ananda Publishers (first published January 1st 1964)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about প্রথম প্রতিশ্রুতি, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about প্রথম প্রতিশ্রুতি

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 449)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Sucharita
The story of a young girl from rural bengal who is very conscious of her right to live and be respected. A rebel, she can face her venerable father, whom she adores, and point out his mistake. A fighter for truth and her search for the meaning of a Woman's life. Her struggle to educate her daughter and the protest when she is thwarted in this by her husband and mother in law. A strong and courageous character who we all admire but would rather not have in our own families.
Sutapa
Every woman need to read it.
Indian
What a book!! What a great author!!
My salutations to 'Ashapurna Devi', Boss you are incomparable, for me she is the BEST Bengali author ever for fiction.
The writing style, the granularity, the characterizations, the clarity, the consistency-- all of it come alive with such a great force, that the seasoned reader is overwhelemed!
After this I continued reading her other books (Subarnalatha & Bakul Katha- both Hindi translations) & I was ever-amazed to see that her grip as a story-teller ne...more
Antara Ghosh
Read it years ago, as a teenager.
Got hold of the book last week, and started reading, just realized, I remember every plot, every scene, almost every dialogue, even after 15 years! And btw, my memory usually suck.
This is such a beautiful portrait.
One of the best books I ever read.
Hari M
Having read the Malayalam translation of 'Pratham Prathishruthi' i dearly miss not having known Bengali..!

The translation is awesome..but to think there always are things lost in translation makes this one even more inspiring a book to reach out for..and the depth of Bengali literature should definitely at par or even more than Malayalam!

Moving on to the rest of the trilogy " Suvarnalatha" n "Bakul Katha" offers a brighter vision of the transformation of bengali culture, society and the life of...more
Subarno Bhattacharya
Reading the bengali edition of this book "Pratham Pratisruti".
Denim Datta
সত্যবতী - সুবর্ণলতা - বকুল : তিন প্রজন্ম
প্রথম প্রতিশ্রুতি - সুবর্ণলতা - বকুলকথা : তিন উপন্যাস

তিন প্রজন্মের কাহিনীর সুত্রপাত 'প্রথম প্রতিশ্রুতি' থেকে, যা প্রথম প্রজন্ম সত্যবতী কে কেন্দ্র করে| সেকালের একচেটিয়া পুরুষতান্ত্রিক সমাজের বিদ্রোহিনী অগ্নিশিখা, নারীর স্বাধিকার অর্জনের চেষ্টায় প্রায় জীবন উৎসর্গ করা সত্যবতীর জন্ম, শৈশব ও পরবর্তী জীবন এই উপন্যাস এর বিষয়|

যদিও আশাপূর্ণা দেবীর মতো লেখিকার উপন্যাস সম্বন্ধে এ কথা বলা সম্পূর্ণ অপ্রয়োজনীয় (হয়তো বাচালতা), তবুও, এক শতক আগের বাংলার দৈনন্দিন জীবনযাত্...more
Emtiaj Hasan
বড় বাঁচা বেঁচে গেছি ওইসময়ে না জন্মে, কি জঘন্য অবস্থাই না ছিলো ওই সময়টায় সমাজে। সত্যবতী, ইউ আর জাস্ট অ্যা বস।
সত্য ছাড়া অন্য চরিত্রগুলো যে কি! সবগুলোকে পিঠাতে ইচ্ছে করে, আর এলোকেশীকে তো মেরেই ফেলতে ইচ্ছে করছে।
Nilanjana Rai
Some stories nvr grow old. You can always relate them with the contemporary society in their essence. Pratham Pratishruti will always remain as one of the inspirational works. Beautifully narrated, it surely cuts a mark.
Soorma Das
One of the best novels by Ashapurna Devi..the plot,characters are so well sketched out that one,atleast I, wished to be in the protagonist's shoes..One can read it as many times you want..The author even brings into light,wonderfully,the Calcutta and the villages of that time..
Sushant Jha
First book by any woman author to get Gyanpeeth. It captures the struggle of three generation of Bengali women starting from later half of 19th century. The book is part first of the trilogy.It is published in English titled "First Promise". A must read.
Aylena
a wonderful book. While reading it I found myself thinking that I found myself with a little treasure in my hands. Beautiful language. Nice and interesting story. Sometimes a little bit confusing with all the names and who is whose relative.
Somnath Saha
Somnath Saha marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Tanuja
Tanuja marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nahida Luna
Nahida Luna marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Rumia Mukherjee
Rumia Mukherjee marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Gopal Mondal
Gopal Mondal marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Arpita Purba
Arpita Purba marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Nayema Lipi
Nayema Lipi marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Subrata Biswas
Subrata Biswas marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Puja Roy
Puja Roy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Pallavi Deb
Pallavi Deb marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Hiralal Shaw
Hiralal Shaw marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
3971478
Ashapurna Devi (Bengali: আশাপূর্ণা দেবী), also Ashapoorna Debi or Asha Purna Devi, is a prominent Bengali novelist and poet. She has been widely honoured with a number of prizes and awards. She was awarded 1976 Jnanpith Award and the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1976; D.Litt by the Universities of Jabalpur, Rabindra Bharati, Burdwan and Jadavpur. Vishwa Bharati University honoured her...more
More about Ashapurna Devi...
সুবর্ণলতা বকুল কথা দশটি কিশোর উপন্যাস নিমিত্তমাত্র Ashapurna Devir Chhotogalpo Sankolan

Share This Book

“যাকে সামনে সমীহ করতে বাধ্য হতে হয়, তাকে আড়ালে নিন্দে করতে না পেলে বাঁচবে কেমন করে মানুষ?” 4 likes
“এতো আলো পৃথিবীতে, তবু পৃথিবীর মানুষগুলো এতো অন্ধকারে কেন?” 3 likes
More quotes…