Start by marking “Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)

Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels #5.5)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  17,450 ratings  ·  1,302 reviews
After eviction from the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea is a wreck. She starts work for best pal PI Kate Daniels. Shapeshifters under Raphael Medrano — Clan Bouda male alpha, Andrea’s ex-lover — die suddenly at a dig site. With Raphael, she seeks killer in deep dark Atlanta. Her feelings for him may take a back seat to saving the world…
Bonus: Kate Daniels novella "Magic Gi
ebook, 1st Edition, 326 pages
Published July 31st 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Gunmetal Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gunmetal Magic

Can't Wait Books of 2012
55th out of 2,493 books — 15,919 voters
Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
9th out of 621 books — 1,785 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
JULY UPDATE: REVIEW, also on Under the Covers

So...we have to go a year without a Kate Daniel's book. I admit, I cried, I fell to my knees and howled to the moon "whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyy" in most most despairing tone...but once they let me out the padded room (major over reaction by the way, just because you howl at the moon, it DOES NOT make you crazy!) and ate some chocolate my rational brain smoothered my crazy brain and I started to think. I like Andrea, she is a kick arse female, I wanted to
Evgeny
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

We might not notice it in everyday life or just forgot it, but the modern word processing tools are very powerful. One of the things you can do with practically any one of them is search and replace of all occurrences of a word. Let us test this feature. Take this book, replace all "Andrea" by "Kate", "Raphael" by "Curran", and "gun" by "Slayer". Lo and behold, we now have completely different book called Magic Bleeds. A couple of people i
Anzu The Great Destroyer
“You’ll never take me alive”

WTF is Gunmetal Magic about? Good question my friend. Gunmetal Magic takes place in the same world as the Kate Daniels series does: post-magic-induced-apocalyptic Atlanta. Now, I presume you have read the previous books. If not, then you probably should, it helps build up the story.

Andrea has a new case. A few members of the pack got killed so you know the old story. She has to investigate and get to the bottom of it. Add lots of actions, fights, bullets, cool weapo
Dija
2.8/5 stars

I've never liked Andrea and Raphael, not like I do Kate and Curran or Jim and Dali. I was hoping their book would change that, but I think I like them even less now.

I had a lot of trouble connecting to the characters and story. Andrea was cold and hard to relate to. Raphael was okay, didn't really have the most noteworthy of personalities. Basically, I like Raphael and Andrea as a couple, but not so much as individuals.

The action part bored me to tears and I really didn't care for it.
Carol.
Oct 26, 2012 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Andrews fans, urban fantasy fans
Don't be ridiculous. Of course I enjoyed this book. It's set in the world of Kate Daniels, my favorite urban fantasy series ever.

Magic has returned to the world, coming and going in 'waves:' when magic is up, technology fails, and vice-versa (except telephones--they're unpredictible at any time). Magic hates concrete and tall buildings, and it's been a struggle for citizens to reclaim their city from pre-Shift buildings--now rubble--and magic-powered areas of wildness. Reclamation companies spe
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Regardless of whether Ilona Andrews writes a Kate Daniels or an Edge book, know that each time you will be getting a quality, action-packed novel. There's just something about their writing style that captures you - hook, line and sinker. The Ilona Andrews name on a book is like a guaranteed seal of fantastic entertainment. A must-read for sure!

GUNMETAL MAGIC is a guaranteed good read. Ilona Andrews skillfully mixes action, suspense, and humor with heady romance in their alternate reality Atlant
MISS VAIN
I had conspired to break the law with my ex-boyfriend, who I professed to hate, broken said law, destroyed the victim's attack dog/magic creature in a fit of murderous frenzy, and then ran away across the city, wandered around some woods, and fell asleep in a tree in my beastkin shape. When I went off the rails, I didn't do it halfway. No, I flipped a few times, caught a lot of air, and then exploded in a fiery crash.

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to review this book early and let me
Anne
Since I decided to hop on the Kate Daniels train a few months ago, I've gobbled up every book in the series.
Now what do I do?
Sit patiently, and wait till some unknown time in 2015 for the next book to come out?
I don't think so!
There are a plethora of novellas to keep me occupied in the meantime.
I will read them ALL!

Gunmetal Magic is listed as Kate Daniels #5.5, so when I requested this one from my library, I was fully expecting to get handed a shorty. You know, something I could read in an h
Maria Snyder
The was recommended to me since I loved Andrews Edge series, my friend thought I might like this one as well. She was right! I'm not a big urban fantasy fan as I get annoyed with the heroines who are extremely stubborn and refuse all help - yes they kick-ass and are independent, but they rub me the wrong way. I love strong female protagonists, but I also like a little romance :) This book had both and I'm now curious about Andrews books about Kate Daniels.

So has anyone read the Kate Daniels book
Meljean Brook
So, so good. Andrea is the type of character who could definitely carry a series by herself, and I won't spoil anything, but just to say: I don't think any fan of Kate Daniels and Ilona Andrews is going to be disappointed. Another really freaking fantastic book.
Glass
I was looking forward to reading more about Andrea, but, unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Gunmetal Magic in numbers:
Number of pages: 326
Number of hilarious sentences per page: Anywhere between 3 and 17
Number of characters I want to be best friends with: 5
Number of raw emotional moments: too many to count

It would appear that, at this point, the husband-and-wife writing team Ilona Andrews can do no wrong. There’s a reason why many people who don’t normally read urban fantasy adore their Kate Daniels series, and people who do read lots of urban fantasy usually single it out as
Laura the Highland Hussy
Review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

This book amazed me. That’s different than “this book is amazing” (although it is, that). What I mean is that I didn’t expect to be so wowed by it. The world, the characters, the storyline, all of it was so vividly built that I had no trouble at all picturing the Kate Daniels World.

I can’t get over how seamlessly the writing flows, at how darkly beautiful the world is, and how well-written this book is. I almost can’t even write my review because I
Armina
Buddy read with Eilonwy , Evgeny , Asya , Monty Cupcake

3.5 STARS

It seems that from all the buddies I read this book with, I enjoyed it the most. It does have some annoying stuff in there but it didn't bother me so much and I still had fun while reading it like going through the last 36%(which is more than one third of the book) in one sitting for the last 2 hours or so. And I'm rounding my rating up because .... (you already know why, it's one name only but I still have to write it down):
The Flooze
*4.5*

Fanfuckingtastic.

I'll admit I was worried about this one. As Roman tells Andrea, "You were all clenched up before... Very serious. Robot Andrea." And she was. In Kate's books, I'd found her absolute devotion to rules and order difficult to relate to. I admired her skill and determination, but I didn't look forward to a whole book from her POV.

I was incredibly, blissfully surprised then to find myself adoring the new Andrea. She's changed, and it's all for the better. Though she still has th
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
Kate Daniels' best friend Andrea, a were-hyena/bouda/beastkin, gets her own book. She's dealing with a rough breakup, a problematic investigation that involves several murders, and her own painful past involving physical abuse as a child. There's lots of relationship drama in this book. (view spoiler)

I like Andrea, whose combat and kickass abilities seem to be about on a par with Kate's, but she's certainly carrying aro
Nicole
In the fairness of full disclosure, I read this story in a previous draft as well. While I liked it back then, I love and adore it now.

Andrea is incredible in this book. She kicks ass, takes names, and is a total bad ass. I love her, best side-kick. Ever.
Raphael has some total d-bag moments, but I love him. He more than makes up for it with some groveling and hilarious shifter pranks.
Asciano gets some great page time, and I love that little kid!!
A few moments with Kate and Curran, and they ar
Robin (Bridge Four)
The Re-read before Magic Breaks Continues

Another great re-read down and I continue on. Just a few more stories so go. I really loved the hoemance between Kate and Andrea in this. There Dialogue together is such a good time.

“Kate leaned back against her chair. "Where is the bane of my existence?"
"In the shower, freshening up."
"Oh, God, who did Asciano screw now?"
"No, no, he's covered in blood."
"Oh good." She sighed and stopped. "The kid is covered in blood and we're relieved. There is something w
♥Rachel♥
4.5 stars.

Ilona Andrews completely monopolized my attention until I flew through the Kate Daniels series the winter of 2012. When I looked up the dates I couldn’t believe it had been so long because the series still burns pretty bright in my memory. It’s taken me a year to get back to this series, and I might have been a little hesitant to pick this up because Gunmetal Magic stars Andrea and Rafael instead of Kate and Curran. To be honest, I was a little worried I wouldn’t love it as much as the
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

When Ilona Andrews first announced that they would be writing a whole full length novel for Andrea, I thought: “That should be interesting. After all, Andrea is a great character.” Okay, that didn’t come across quite as I hoped… What I mean is that I didn’t particularly feel strongly either way…but now I am SO glad Gunmetal Magic was written because the book was amazing and I do believe that Andrea has the potential to rival Kate on the kick ass meter.

A
Mike (the Paladin)
Let me open this review with an apology to many of my friends here. I know many of you love this book...and I think that's great. I'm just not Ilona Andrews' target audience.

Only got around 50 pages through this and tossed it into the "return to the library" bag. Around page 30 we start to bemoan how Raphael broke our heart and it was still going on on page 50. we were in a meeting with said Raphael, we were sniping at each other and "my heart" (this referring to the protagonist) was broken into
Layla
Aug 15, 2012 Layla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone (who read the series first)
Recommended to Layla by: My genius mind
My rating: 5/5 stars
First line:"Thud! My head hit the sidewalk. Candy jerked me up by my hair and slammed my face into the asphalt."
Favourite quote:"For the first time in my twenty-eight years I was truly living. I wanted to love and to be loved in return. I wanted happiness, and family, and children. I wanted a long life and I wanted Raphael to live it with me."
Song of choice: Titanium by Sia

Wow. Just wow. I'm still reeling from the shock of reading this amazing, gorgeous book. It was that good
Mags~CVAddikt~Your shock-wave whisper has sealed your fate

Yes, I changed my mind, 4.5 instead of 5

I love this book, it was addictive (as all Ilona Andrew's books), full of action and humor. I read it in one day ... and now I'm sad it ended.

if I liked Raphael ... now I love him (When he put Aunt B's picture on Andrea's living room was hilarious).

And Roman ... he stole my heart with this scene:

Yes, there are better scenes but this one is my fav from Roman ... my geek side was like "Yei!!! LOTR reference!!!!" so I had to draw it ... hehe cou
Leah
I should start by saying that I have really enjoyed most of the stories written by Andrews and her husband. I have always liked Andrea as a character and wanted to read her story. This didn't quite live up to my expectations though and I've vacillated between ratings.

The crazy mythological smorgasbord couldn't really hold my attention this time. I could overlook that if the characterizations were amazing but this fell short. In the course of their story, some of the decisions Andrea and Raphael
Regina
I feel like such a traitor. I didn't love this book. I have loved every single thing Ilona Andrews has written. I am one of the fans that loved the first book in the Kate Daniels series. I loved that the focus of Kate Daniels is not on the resolution of a romance, but on the struggle and adventure in the story. Romance is just sort of the icing on top and maybe some delicious filling in the middle. Gunmetal Magic read to me like it was entirely about Raphael and Andrea. And that is not a bad thi ...more
Cathryn
June 2015 Reread
I LOVE Andrea's book. I love the legitimate relationship drama. Everything feels perfectly mapped out and I can't imagine her (view spoiler) happening any other way.

Original Read - Sept 2014
Beanbag Love
I enjoy Andrea and Rafael's relationship, particularly when they're working together as fighters. They're in perfect tune. My one beef about this aspect is that Andrea reads exactly like Kate. At one point, when I had had to put the book down to do something else for a while, I got confused and thought I'd opened up a Kate Daniels book.

I'm not sure how to fix that, though. One of the reasons Andrea and Kate are best friends is that they're cut from the same cloth. They spend a lot of time togeth
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review

I thought there were a few things that fell short by the end Gunmetal Magic (GM) met my expectation of an engaging and exciting read. Not to mention there were some other things that caught me by surprise in great way.

The Love Triangle

There wasn't really a love triangle and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I hate love triangles. I find them to be the laziest way to introduce conflict into a romance. Not to mention how unrealistic (in the probability sense) love tr
Maggie
Do you remember that episode of Arrested Development where GOB goes to work for Stan Sitwell (Season 2, Episode 7: Switch Hitter)? While trying to impress Sitwell, GOB runs through the entire backlog of Michael's ideas in one meeting and then goes back to Michael and asks for more.
Michael: There were 34 proposals in there.
GOB: You'd be amazed how fast they come out when you read them all in a row.
Michael: That was 6 months worth of work. You can't just blurt them all out at once.
Well, Ilona Andr
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Oh Andrea. I knew you had a horrible history, but not truly knowing your story, my heart breaks for you.

This Kate Daniels spinoff is told from the first person POV of her best friend Andrea. She is a beastkin bouda, which means that her father was truly part animal. She was raised among a pack of sadistic were-hyenas who tortured her for the first 11 years of her life. Though she has grown strong in many ways, she was also irreparably damaged by the abuse.

For almost all of her adult life, she hi
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #9)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

“Kate smirked.
"What?"
"Your horse looks pink."
"So?"
"If you paste some stars on her butt you'll be riding My Little Pony."
"Bugger off." I patted the mare's neck. "Don't listen to her, Sugar. You are the cutest horsey ever. The correct name for her color is strawberry roan, by the way."
"Strawberry Shortcake, more like it. Does Strawberry Shortcake know you stole her horse? She will be berry, berry angry with you."
I looked at her from under half-lowered eyelids. "I can shoot you right here, on this road, and nobody will ever find your body.”
152 likes
“Did those nice church ladies come by again?"
He nodded. "I asked them if a man died and then the woman remarried, and then the three of them met in heaven, would it be a sin for them to have a threesome, since they were all married in God's eye. And they decided they were late to be somewhere else.”
146 likes