Start by marking “The Black Magician Trilogy (Black Magician, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Black Magician Trilogy (Black Magician, #1-3)

The Black Magician Trilogy (The Black Magician Trilogy #1-3)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,078 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Paperback
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Magician Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Magician Trilogy

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne CollinsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best of Completed Series
25th out of 93 books — 61 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne CollinsPercy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick RiordanThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra ClareThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Series (not individual books)
46th out of 69 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom Whalley
I'm choosing a trilogy to record as my 60th book, deal.

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, on first glance, is pleasant, uncomplex, and nostalgic. It's a nice counter to the kind of fantasy that I've been seeing published lately; this isn't dark, it's not grim and gritty, it's just a story of a young girl going to wizard school and becoming super badass. It's not a challenge. I'll never call it a challenge. What it is though, is deceptive.

The Black Magician trilogy follows the story of Sone
Megan
I really enjoyed reading these books. In my opinion the storylines are brilliant and the writing technique is very good. I would recomend these books to anyone who likes magic and adventure.
Idris
Although I’m a huge fan of fantasy and magic, I haven’t had the opportunity to read many books of this topic, and the trilogy of The Black Magician by Trudi Cavanan was one of them. I picked up the first book, The Magicians' Guild, only to try it out. I didn’t know the synopsis, but the cover was pretty interesting. Yes I know, its white, and only have a person with a hood, but it got my attention, so I bought it, and I read it.

The first book, The Magicians' Guild, takes place in a fantasy worl
Simran
I LOVED IT!! it was the first ever trilogy of Trudi that i've read. The story flows smoothly, truly unpredictable. You'll find yourself loving every character and falling inlove with most of the characters personalities. I've read the first and second book twice and the third Three times!!! My personal fave is Akkarin. WHY?

SPOILER!!

he is a very good friend ( to Lorren - I envy their friendship) and the best leader. He took responsiblity for his doings..aww AKKARIN, Is there no way you can come b
Jessica Collins
This trilogy is so good. I started reading whilst at a holiday cottage and had to smuggle the books back with me :) I would and have recommended this set to all ages. I loved Sonea and Akkarin, I was devastated by the ending. It is one of those stories that you think about long after you've read the last sentence.
Nici
The story itself was good, however there's too much rambling on about nothing and most parts are totally unimportant to the story. Sometimes I only read two or three sentences per page and I still got the overall meaning (as I said, the idea of the story is quite OK). Wouldn't bother to read it again though.
Sarah Matts
This is a perfectly average enjoyable fantasy trilogy. The writing is good, the characters aren't ground breaking, but the story is solid enough. One of the nice things about this trilogy was that it has obviously been planned as a full story arc, so you don't get that effect of the first book having the story finished, and the second two having the "we wrote these because the first one did well" problem that some trilogys have.
I'm re-reading it at the moment having read it before, and in a seco
Miiiaa
this is one of the best fantasy books that i have read so far
Ана Хелс
Може би съм една от малкото фентъзийни читателки на света въобще, които никога, ама хич, ама съвсем не са и помирисвали Хари Потър в книжна форма, а във филмова бързо ги е отегчил, но въпреки това са затънали яко в дълбоката прегръдка на фентъзито като основен жанр в предпочитаното ежедневие, изсмукващ финанси и време на ежеминутна база. Защото не е една Роулинг на света, и каквото е създала, не е откровение свише, а просто сравнително читава история, порастваща със своите първоначални читатели. ...more
Iman Eyitayo
Cette trilogie est fort sympathique, mais a un rythme très particulier: un 1er tome axé sur la traque, un 2e sur l'insertion de Sonea puis un 3e sur le dénouement. J'ai beaucoup aimé le 3e T (beaucoup d'action), mais moins les 2 premiers qui étaient à mon sens, extrêmement lents mais dans le même temps assez immersifs. Du coup, à la fin, on a vraiment la prétention de connaitre les personnages. Vous allez donc commencer dans le vif, puis être baladé d'histoires de commérage en débats politiques, ...more
Ava
One of the first fantasy series I read, and it remains one of my favourites. In my opinion, it has everything you could want: magic, adventure, an exciting and well-paced plot, romance that doesn't consume the overall story, and a strong female protagonist. I've lost count of how many times I've read it, but it has yet to lose any of its impact on me.
Mathijs
Liked the idea, yet found it to be another idea of describing a world in which magic exists. The pace of the book is too slow to my taste and although the world of thought is worked out into detail, the use of magic is a bit disappointing. Still it is a page turner and took me little more than one week to read through the entire trilogy.
Kamron Brooks
This series was, in my opinion, lazy. The so-called "twists" were easy to anticipate, the writing style was boring, the descriptive text minimally descriptive. Easy reading for younger readers if you think they can handle a thin smear of violence.
Nisia
I don't like my fantasy book to have too much romance in it. I mean, I am looking for fantasy novel here not a romance novel with a supernatural background. I'm not saying any fantasy book souldn't have a romance in it but it should have not been the main focus on the story. But this books change my mind completely. I mean you can see the romance take a big part of the story especially on the last half of the story. But Even so It's not a cliche kind of love story and do have it's own intrude th ...more
Rocio

Decía q esta trilogía había que verla como un solo libro,así q así es como lo voy a comentar.
Me encanto, creo q Trudi creo un maravilloso mundo,siempre me sorprende la habilidad que tienen algunos autores para hacer eso. El concepto es muy bueno y creo que lo desarrollo de forma espectacular.
Respecto a los personajes me encanta la forma en q van creciendo y van evolucionando a medida que avanzan los libros,todos y cada uno tienen una gran transformación. Amo a Sonea,amo a Rothen,amo a Akkarin,a
Sharon J.
Good brain candy. Not the most solid of worlds. She dropped characters that I really liked. I like the story and would like to see her do more in this world.
Lily Joyce
Fabulous.
At points it felt as if the other stories running alongside Sonea's were boring however altogether a great trilogy
Lydia Graham
Read 3 or 4 times over the space of 6 years, I couldn't put them down
Blaž Lulik
Slow windup, fast ending. Overall a nice read.
Kevin Chilvers
This is one of the best books I've read for a while. It was so good I read all three back to back. Compelling characters and a well plotted story.
Natalie
Fantastic series
Pavi
***Spoiler alert***
I can't really think of anything to say. I am almost gieving for Akkarin, and Lorlen. And what a harsh fate for Sonea to stay behind.
Such a great loss.
why did he have to die????
Thank you Ms. Canavan. Great job at making great characters and then kill them so that we can cry nuts for people that don't even exist!!!

Do not read the book without a supply of tissues. This is like the Titanic but with wizards.
Heartbreaking.
Nicola Bolderston
I hate giving a bad review of a book or series and really it wasn't bad. It was my first series back to main fantasy after reading a lot of modern urban fantasy, so I may not have been in the right mood for it.
I stuck with it. It was a bit like an adventureless Harry Potter to me. I will go back to it and reread it, see if it was my issue as opposed to the story itself.
Heatrid Masecere
Characters are so poorly written, they do suicidally stupid things. Action scenes are well written, but the flow is bad, introduction is bad, and characters are really fucking bad. Could not read to the end, 2/10, not worth reading.
First book is kinda okay in the middle, I guess.
Sarah Mosley
These books transported me to a world if magic and intrigue. I have read these books numerous times. They never fail to create new images in my mind each time I read them. Trudi Canavan is a truly fantastic writer. I recommend these books to anyone who loves fantasy and magic.
Anna
Åsa
One of my favourite fantasy trilogies I've read to date. It's an amazing world the author has created, and the characters are well-rounded and likeable. The plot is complex in a way that is pleasing, but still easy to follow. I recommend it!
Alex George
I personally love fantasy set in an entire new world, it shows the creativity of some authors and can really stretch them in my opinion, the way Canavan has portrayed the world is brilliant, a must read for any fantasy lovers.
Lili Tee
I've read this trilogy many, many times and its still just so good. While some of the characters/plot developments are kinda predictable, The Black Magician's trilogy still shows readers how a real fantasy novel be.
Alix Burroughs
I found the scenery heavy going, but the actual storyline was good.
  • The Larion Senators
  • Wiedźmin (Saga o Wiedźminie, #1-7)
  • The Last Battle (DragonMaster, #3)
  • Hinterland (Godslayer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Cross (Vampire Federation, #2)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Fever: Many are Born, Few are Reborn (Wolf Sirens, #2)
  • Omnitopia: Dawn (Omnitopia, #1)
  • Das Buch von Eden
  • The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children, #1)
  • Collector
  • Gevatter Tod / Wachen! Wachen!
  • Dragon Fate (War of the Blades, #1)
  • The Island: Part Three
  • The Rise of the Blood Royal (The Destinies of Blood and Stone, #3)
  • Orcs (Orcs: First Blood, #1-3)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T
More about Trudi Canavan...

The Black Magician Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician, #1)
  • The Novice (Black Magician, #2)
  • The High Lord (Black Magician, #3)
The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician, #1) The High Lord (Black Magician, #3) The Novice (Black Magician, #2) The Magician's Apprentice (Black Magician, #0.5) The Ambassador's Mission (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #1)