Start by marking “The Black Magician Trilogy (Black Magician, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Black Magician Trilogy (Black Magician, #1-3)

The Black Magician Trilogy (The Black Magician Trilogy #1-3)

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,412 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Paperback
Published July 22nd 2011 by Zatpix (first published January 26th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Magician Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Magician Trilogy

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne CollinsPercy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick RiordanThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra ClareThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Series (not individual books)
25th out of 70 books — 103 voters
The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne CollinsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best of Completed Series
25th out of 93 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom Whalley
Dec 03, 2014 Tom Whalley rated it really liked it
I'm choosing a trilogy to record as my 60th book, deal.

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, on first glance, is pleasant, uncomplex, and nostalgic. It's a nice counter to the kind of fantasy that I've been seeing published lately; this isn't dark, it's not grim and gritty, it's just a story of a young girl going to wizard school and becoming super badass. It's not a challenge. I'll never call it a challenge. What it is though, is deceptive.

The Black Magician trilogy follows the story of Sone
Nici
Mar 28, 2016 Nici rated it did not like it
The story itself was good, however there's too much rambling on about nothing and most parts are totally unimportant to the story. Sometimes I only read two or three sentences per page and I still got the overall meaning (as I said, the idea of the story is quite OK). Wouldn't bother to read it again though.
Megan
Oct 23, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading these books. In my opinion the storylines are brilliant and the writing technique is very good. I would recomend these books to anyone who likes magic and adventure.
Veronika
Jun 07, 2016 Veronika rated it did not like it
Barely good enough for 1 star.

I have picked up this trilogy and "Age of the Five" trilogy by the same author as a bit of light summer reading, since I love good fantasy, and this was recommended as such. I have since regretted the wasted money and time.

tl;dr - do not bother with these books, and probably not with the author overall - not unless you like reading about brainless, willpower-less, useless females who tend to lust after their older teacher/instructor figures. Based on the fact that t
Idris
Jun 30, 2014 Idris rated it really liked it
Although I’m a huge fan of fantasy and magic, I haven’t had the opportunity to read many books of this topic, and the trilogy of The Black Magician by Trudi Cavanan was one of them. I picked up the first book, The Magicians' Guild, only to try it out. I didn’t know the synopsis, but the cover was pretty interesting. Yes I know, its white, and only have a person with a hood, but it got my attention, so I bought it, and I read it.

The first book, The Magicians' Guild, takes place in a fantasy worl
Katarina
Jul 08, 2015 Katarina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
So I've seen this book countless times and it hasn't made me want to read...but after I read another series which I loved ...I looked for similar books...and it popped up... While I started reading the first book I knew right out it would become one of my fave series. It just draws you in and doesn't let you out... After I finished the first book I looked up how many books there are ( I didn't know that it was a trilogy) and you can't imagine my disappointment when I found out it's a trilogy...I ...more
Simran
May 15, 2014 Simran rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!! it was the first ever trilogy of Trudi that i've read. The story flows smoothly, truly unpredictable. You'll find yourself loving every character and falling inlove with most of the characters personalities. I've read the first and second book twice and the third Three times!!! My personal fave is Akkarin. WHY?

SPOILER!!

he is a very good friend ( to Lorren - I envy their friendship) and the best leader. He took responsiblity for his doings..aww AKKARIN, Is there no way you can come b
LOL_BOOKS
Jessica Collins
Oct 23, 2014 Jessica Collins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This trilogy is so good. I started reading whilst at a holiday cottage and had to smuggle the books back with me :) I would and have recommended this set to all ages. I loved Sonea and Akkarin, I was devastated by the ending. It is one of those stories that you think about long after you've read the last sentence.
Heatrid Masecere
May 26, 2015 Heatrid Masecere rated it did not like it
Characters are so poorly written, they do suicidally stupid things. Action scenes are well written, but the flow is bad, introduction is bad, and characters are really fucking bad. Could not read to the end, 2/10, not worth reading.
First book is kinda okay in the middle, I guess.
Kamron Brooks
Mar 30, 2014 Kamron Brooks rated it it was ok
This series was, in my opinion, lazy. The so-called "twists" were easy to anticipate, the writing style was boring, the descriptive text minimally descriptive. Easy reading for younger readers if you think they can handle a thin smear of violence.
Sarah Matts
Jan 07, 2014 Sarah Matts rated it liked it
This is a perfectly average enjoyable fantasy trilogy. The writing is good, the characters aren't ground breaking, but the story is solid enough. One of the nice things about this trilogy was that it has obviously been planned as a full story arc, so you don't get that effect of the first book having the story finished, and the second two having the "we wrote these because the first one did well" problem that some trilogys have.
I'm re-reading it at the moment having read it before, and in a seco
Miiiaa
Sep 01, 2011 Miiiaa rated it it was amazing
this is one of the best fantasy books that i have read so far
Ана Хелс
Mar 16, 2013 Ана Хелс rated it really liked it
Може би съм една от малкото фентъзийни читателки на света въобще, които никога, ама хич, ама съвсем не са и помирисвали Хари Потър в книжна форма, а във филмова бързо ги е отегчил, но въпреки това са затънали яко в дълбоката прегръдка на фентъзито като основен жанр в предпочитаното ежедневие, изсмукващ финанси и време на ежеминутна база. Защото не е една Роулинг на света, и каквото е създала, не е откровение свише, а просто сравнително читава история, порастваща със своите първоначални читатели. ...more
Iman Eyitayo
Cette trilogie est fort sympathique, mais a un rythme très particulier: un 1er tome axé sur la traque, un 2e sur l'insertion de Sonea puis un 3e sur le dénouement. J'ai beaucoup aimé le 3e T (beaucoup d'action), mais moins les 2 premiers qui étaient à mon sens, extrêmement lents mais dans le même temps assez immersifs. Du coup, à la fin, on a vraiment la prétention de connaitre les personnages. Vous allez donc commencer dans le vif, puis être baladé d'histoires de commérage en débats politiques, ...more
Taruna
May 24, 2016 Taruna rated it it was amazing
Ava
Mar 10, 2014 Ava rated it it was amazing
One of the first fantasy series I read, and it remains one of my favourites. In my opinion, it has everything you could want: magic, adventure, an exciting and well-paced plot, romance that doesn't consume the overall story, and a strong female protagonist. I've lost count of how many times I've read it, but it has yet to lose any of its impact on me.
Mathijs
Apr 17, 2014 Mathijs rated it liked it
Liked the idea, yet found it to be another idea of describing a world in which magic exists. The pace of the book is too slow to my taste and although the world of thought is worked out into detail, the use of magic is a bit disappointing. Still it is a page turner and took me little more than one week to read through the entire trilogy.
Nisia
Apr 04, 2013 Nisia rated it really liked it
I don't like my fantasy book to have too much romance in it. I mean, I am looking for fantasy novel here not a romance novel with a supernatural background. I'm not saying any fantasy book souldn't have a romance in it but it should have not been the main focus on the story. But this books change my mind completely. I mean you can see the romance take a big part of the story especially on the last half of the story. But Even so It's not a cliche kind of love story and do have it's own intrude th ...more
Rocio
Aug 25, 2012 Rocio rated it really liked it

Decía q esta trilogía había que verla como un solo libro,así q así es como lo voy a comentar.
Me encanto, creo q Trudi creo un maravilloso mundo,siempre me sorprende la habilidad que tienen algunos autores para hacer eso. El concepto es muy bueno y creo que lo desarrollo de forma espectacular.
Respecto a los personajes me encanta la forma en q van creciendo y van evolucionando a medida que avanzan los libros,todos y cada uno tienen una gran transformación. Amo a Sonea,amo a Rothen,amo a Akkarin,a
Sharon J.
Mar 27, 2014 Sharon J. rated it really liked it
Good brain candy. Not the most solid of worlds. She dropped characters that I really liked. I like the story and would like to see her do more in this world.
Lily Joyce
Apr 25, 2015 Lily Joyce rated it really liked it
Fabulous.
At points it felt as if the other stories running alongside Sonea's were boring however altogether a great trilogy
Namtip Rattanakorn
Jan 04, 2016 Namtip Rattanakorn rated it it was amazing
very good series, recommend to everyone who love magic/fantasy/adveture and romantic story
Gill
Sep 30, 2015 Gill rated it really liked it
Action packed fantasy with well developed plot and characters.
Aditya Prasad
Aug 18, 2015 Aditya Prasad rated it liked it
last book was so so, altogether a slightly better than average book.
Lydia Graham
Really loved this series
Kevin Chilvers
Oct 21, 2014 Kevin Chilvers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-read
This is one of the best books I've read for a while. It was so good I read all three back to back. Compelling characters and a well plotted story.
Natalie
Apr 12, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Fantastic series
Jharod
Great !
  • Exiled to Iowa. Send Help. And Couture
  • Profeet van de Duivel (Duivel, #1)
  • The Larion Senators
  • Crimson Heart (Highland Hearts, #3)
  • Return of the Dragons (Omnibus #1-2)
  • The Last Battle (DragonMaster, #3)
  • Superhelden.nl (Superhelden.nl, #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • Hinterland (Godslayer Chronicles, #2)
  • Wiedźmin (Saga o Wiedźminie, #1-7)
  • The Cross (Vampire Federation, #2)
  • Why I Love Geeks (Why I Love... #1)
  • First Impressions (First Impressions, #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Fever: Many are Born, Few are Reborn (Wolf Sirens, #2)
  • On the Right Track (Vocal Growth, #1)
  • #First Impressions #Second Chances
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T
More about Trudi Canavan...

The Black Magician Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician, #1)
  • The Novice (Black Magician, #2)
  • The High Lord (Black Magician, #3)