Antiques Knock-Off

Antiques Knock-Off (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery #5)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Brandy Borne is pretty sure her "charmingly eccentric" (a.k.a. "off her meds") mother, Vivian, didn't kill that viperous mousy-haired busybody Connie Grimes. But there's the small matter of her guilty plea...While Mother blithely adapts to life behind bars by organizing a jailhouse theatre troupe, seven-months-pregnant Brandy and her intrepid shih tzu, Sushi, trundle into...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Kensington (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Antiques Knock-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antiques Knock-Off

Doris
As bad as Antiques Bizarre was, I am adding this as a book that I have no intention of ever reading.

*update 2014*
I was bored, at the library and this sounded interesting. I am glad that it caught my attention, as it redeemed the storyline. It still isn't one I will seek out, but I can actually handle it now.

First let me start by saying that I enjoy this series, especially as the author team matures in their collaborative effort. The characters seem more real and less whiny, and although some of...more
Kris
I really love this series. The writing is fun, and even though I don't antique in any way, I find the tips interesting. Of course, this one probably should be read in order though. I didn't, and was surprised to find Brandy pregnant. That's all I'm going to say about that! And yes, I know I'm notorious for reading these cozies out of order, I'm sorry I did it this time. But, when you're checking books out from the library that sometimes happens.

For the first time I'm really hoping that there is...more
Amy Lignor
This is the fifth book in the Trash 'n' Treasure Mysteries, and with the final word all readers will want is the ability to pick up the sixth and get right at it! That's how amazingly entertaining this series is to read. Not to mention that the tips on antiques and "antiquing" that are at the end of each chapter will make those fans (like me) of Cash in the Attic, and Pawn Stars absolutely giddy.

Barbara Allan takes us to the small Midwestern town of Serenity located on the banks of the Mississip...more
Richard Ward
The fifth in the series, like the second, is a murder mystery a little light on both murder (but one corpse is plenty) and on mystery, with several subplots of other kinds taking up a fair amount of space. However, those subplots are so well told that this ends up hardly as a flaw for the book after all. Once again, the writing is geared more toward female readers, but I'm a man and nothing in the book kept me from enjoying it.

These are comic mysteries, and one chapter in this book stands out as

Randy
Another cozy featuring Brandy and Mother. Mother is a bit eccentric and the pair solve murder mysteries. This is the first in the series I've read and will have to look up the first four after enjoying this one. Not read a lot of cozies in a long time, but this one is by the writing team of Barbara Collins and her husband Max Allan Collins as Barbara Allan.

Busybody and blackmailer Connie Grimes has been murdered. Brandy discovers the body when she goes by to make a peace offering after Mother sh...more
Grey853
Cathy
Another fun mystery in the "Antiques" series by Barbara Allen (this is Trash 'n' Treasures mystery #5). Brandy Borne is now seven months pregnant (being the surrogate mother for her best friends who need some help having a child), but that doesn't slow her down in the least. She and her sister Peggy Sue are shocked when mother Vivian confesses to killing Peggy Sue's former friend now the whole family's nemesis. Granted Connie is evil and Vivian has been off her medication for some time now, but...more
Crystal Chm
I really enjoy this series and I'm already looking forward to the next one. I love the family dynamics in the books especially the main character's bipolar mother and her relationship with her daughters. Being bipolar myself, I find her antics especially funny and a good reminder to take my meds :) I appreciate that her vibrant personality and illness are considered a plus and not always a negative, while at the same time there is some gravity given to her illness by the other characters. Rather...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Brandy Borne is gleefully pregnant as a surrogate for her best friend. However, those mysterious letters keep arriving.

Vivian Borne, is gleefully anxious to direct a stage play for her fellow inmates in jail, as she awaits sentencing for a murder she did not commit.

Peggy Sue has been exposed and is in shock.

Sushi is still the beloved pet of the family.

Life is somewhat normal for our Borne family of sleuths. To tell you anything more than the above would be to spoil the storyline. I will tell you...more
Kim Freitas
Very good book. First one I read in this series, now I will go back and read the rest. Vivian is a hoot.
Marianne Stehr
Having not read those before this in the series, I thought that I may be behind, but I was brought up to speed quickly in this fast paced, comical mystery. It reminded me a great deal of the Spillman Files series by Lisa Lutz, a series that I love. The parenthesis act like footnotes of the character writing the story and mostly are added for a little humorous tidbit. I enjoyed the characters and felt like I knew them and imgaine if I would have read the books in order I would have known them eve...more
Diane Heath
This book brings me up to date on the series since I read books 6 & 7 on kindle and then read 1-5. Brandy discovers the body of Peggy Sue's "friend". Vivien confesses to the murder and Brandy is 7 months pregnant with the baby she is carrying for her BFF. Tina
Susan
Brandy, seven months pregnant as surrogate for her best friend, doesn't plan to find a dead body. But when she tries to apologize for a fight with Connie (who must be the one sending her family anonymous letters), she finds a dead body. Brandy's eccentric, theatrical mother Vivian is the main suspect. After all, her fingerprints were found all over the murder weapon. The police chief, Brandy's boyfriend, doesn't want to arrest Vivian, but then Vivian confesses. What's a man to do?
Heidi
I do love what at least I call chick-lit murder mysteries, but this one really wasn't all that good. The ending was fairly obviously from not long after that start, and even though the characters were generally likable enough it wasn't as easy to get into it. This is probably because it never really left you wondering what happens next, wheras a lot of books in the genre at least leave you wondering how the main character will solve the crime, even if you figure out who dunit early on.
Cindy
May 25, 2013 Cindy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans and fans of antiques
Shelves: cozy-fiction
This was a fast paced cozy mystery. I didn't read the books that came before this one in the series and I thought I might be at a disadvantage. I was brought up to speed quickly and able to follow the story just fine. I found it a little difficult to get into this mystery and when I was done, I didn't really want to read anymore of them. I did like the antiquing tips at the end of every chapter.
Sherie Davis
I think this is my favorite one so far as well as the funniest. (Spoilers) The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was Tony leaving. I really liked Brandy with Tony. So I hope he comes back. I'm not into that condescending kind of thing where one person makes a decision for both parties, you know "to protect them" or whatever. Considering what happened with his first wife though I will cut him some slack.
Caran-marie
Very cute cozy featuring a woman who returned home to lick her wounds after her marriage fell through and now lives with her manic depressive mother and helps her run a antique and collectibles booth while they're not solving murders. Hijinks ensue. This was # 5 in the series and I enjoyed it enough that I'm going back to the beginning to read the other.
Sylvia
I do really enjoy this series, but I didn't like the ending of this particular one. The mother was fabulous as always, and Brandy showed new depths. There were some really funny parts, if not for the ending this would have four stars. However, the end did set things up for some interesting changes in the next book, I'm looking forward to that.
VaLinda Miller
Found this while volunteering at the library. I think I have found a new "crazy" mystery just like the Agatha Raisin and Hammis McBeath series by M.C. Beaton. Don't remember everything, but will come back and write. I do remember that the mother was crazy and that I like her.
Norma Huss
If you like your cozies laugh-out-loud crazy, this is the book for you. The plot keeps surprising the reader with unusual characters, their goings-on, and more twists than a pretzel. Couldn't guess who-dun-it, not at all.
Celia Ulmer
I just picked this book randomly. It was so funny and enjoyable to read. I am gonna read more from the series. It is witty and light hearted.
Barb Foerst
Another installment in the off-beat series with Brandy and her mother/grandmother Vivian. More in the story of Brandy's real father. And a murder to boot.
Teresa Hurst
An okay mystery, but not my style of writing. Plus, I hadn't read the previous books in the series, which might have made this better.
Kelly
I can't decide if I really like this series, or if the "aren't I cute" factor is just too high. Nice little mystery though.
Ruth Ellen
really enjoying these books. I know i haven't posted much on the last couple but they are good. the Mother is a hoot.
Heather
It was okay...a bit too rambly for me. If it hadn't been such a quick read I probably wouldn't have finished it.
Jeanette
This was a good book. I like the characters and the plot was interesting. I hope there will be more in this series.
Melanie
This is one of the better books in the series, although, still kind-of silly and fluffy.
Jenna
This series entertains me. I've enjoyed them and hope we see more of the Borne girls soon.
Kristine
This book had a lot of fun descriptions in it. It was entertaining and a light read.
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Murder Grins and Bears It (Gertie Johnson #2)
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Christietown (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #4)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
Barbara Allan is a pseudonym used by Barbara Collins and Max Allan Collins

Max Allan Collins is a writer of mystery novels, screenplays, comics and historical fiction. Collins has collaborated on numerous short stories with his wife writer Barbara Collins. Together they also write the successful “Trash ‘n’ Treasures” mysteries – their Antiques Flee Market (2008) won the Romantic Times Best Humorous...more
More about Barbara Allan...
Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1) Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2) Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3) Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4) Antiques Disposal (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #6)