Start by marking “The Plagiarist” as Want to Read:
The Plagiarist

The Plagiarist

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  2,103 ratings  ·  252 reviews
Adam Griffey is living two lives. By day, he teaches literature. At night, he steals it. Adam is a plagiarist, an expert reader with an eye for great works. He prowls simulated worlds perusing virtual texts, looking for the next big thing. And when he finds it, he memorizes it page by page, line by line, word for word. And then he brings it back to his world.

But what happ
Nook, 58 pages
Published March 15th 2011 by Broad Reach Publishing (first published February 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Plagiarist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plagiarist

Nataliya
"Adam wondered if it counted as a lie if the untruth was as boring as reality."

It's easy to see the appeal of virtual reality. The chance to break from the monotony of real life, to be someone different, someone better, to experience something new and exciting and safe (since you can always log off when things are not to your liking). It can bring excitement and fulfillment, fill in the gaps and the void in your own life. And it can be done easily, without hard work, without sacrifice - new poss
Steve
Good story. While it's not projected, I picked up the twist early on. Almost like (view spoiler)
Susan
I started this short because it sounded interesting and the only reason I finished it is because I thought, "this has got to get better". Well it did not. The only reason it got two stars is because the premise was good.
Tania
All his life, Adam had wanted to be a writer. The problem was: he was too good at reading.

2.5 stars. This dystopian novella was a quick piece of escapism, my favorite part being Adam's job. I think I could do that for a living - go to simulated worlds and read the whole day until you find the next big thing, then memorize it and bring it back to our world.
The ending was a bit predictable, and I could not understand why they could not just copy the books?
Lita
I bought this story because I loved his Wool Omnibus Edition. I can tell you, honestly, that I would have happily read 1000 more pages of this story, but Hugh Howey is one of the new masters of the Short. You can read this during your lunch, or a train commute, or a short layover... and I do mean short. I was captured instantly, the setting is so absolutely feasible that there was no willing suspension of disbelief time needed to settle in... and the ending?? I'll just say: Well played, Mr. Howe ...more
Timothy Ward
I'm really impressed with this story both for its depth of ideas and philosophy, but also because of how much I cared for the main character. The emotional attachment to him finding happiness kept me reading. I love reading stories that give me joy to share in their world, even if it is bleak. This was that kind of story.

******** Spoiler Alert ***********

My only problem with this story was that I guessed the ending too far prior to the end. I thought what if he was also in a simulated world whe
Daniel J. Weber
I had a hard time deciding whether to peg it at 4 or 5 stars. I usually reserve 5 stars for books that completely blew me away and 4 stars for excellent books that I really enjoyed, but they don't make my top of the list as favourite books of all time. To receive 5 stars from me you have to do something extraordinarily exceptional that I have not seen before / did not expect. With that point aside, let's get to the review!

I enjoyed this novella. Because of the length of the work description of t
Tiara
Once you've gotten the full scope of where this story is going, it's pretty predictable. Not a bad story, still filled with that same emotional slant that I've come to expect of his stories. Worth reading, especially since it's a very quick read.
Sonja Arlow
This short sci-fi novella reminded me a bit of Ready Player One, but with much more sinister overtones.

The storyline examines a possible future where simulations in cyberspace have run off on their own, turning into almost self-sustaining environments.

Taking advantage, people from the "real world" began to take literary works, art, and scientific advancements back to the real world. It’s not stealing if the people who created it do not really exist right? Right.

As always it amazes me how much
Suncerae
This virtual reality scifi novella is yet another example of Hugh Howey’s mastery of art of the slow reveal. Adam Griffey’s world of the near future contains an almost limitless number of artificial worlds, supported by fields of server farms, in which software citizens are self-aware. Scientists set up teams of software scientists to find cures for cancer, or create new worlds to study planet formation. Entire software civilizations rise and fall, so that Adam’s world reaps the benefits.

Adam is
Kalen
This was a fun read, despite figuring out the plot twist fairly early on.

(Also: a bonus! Only discovered one typo, which is amazing these days. The poet was Percy Bysshe Shelley, not Shelly.)
Cass
I am starting this short story out at 3.5 stars, but it will probably be one of those books that plays on my mind enough that it will end up warranting 4 stars.

I am not really sure what I think about Hugh Howey. I loved his WOOL series, but I am confused by the length of his books, they range from a short-story to a novella in length. I am not used to paying money for a single short-story, though I am sure I will eventually. I should applaud him as I also always dislike short-stories. I find the
Jami
Ok, so this novella is one of those stories where you don't realize how good it is until near the end. There was a twist in this one that blew me away and totally surprised and shocked me. I'm not even going to hint at it, as I don't want to ruin it accidentally for anyone. What an interesting and though provoking concept! This was also a good choice for audio, as I felt immersed in the different worlds.
Shilpi Goel
I really enjoyed reading The Plagiarist. Hugh Howey has a wonderful way with words (and haiku!). I'm glad I found a modern SF author whose books I really look forward to reading.

The biggest appeal of Hugh Howey's books, for me, is that the story is so plausible. SF is generally incredible (I guess the point is that it is meant to be), but Hugh's way makes it so that one realizes after reading half-way through his books that a feeling of "meh-I-gotta-accept-the-crazy-stuff-'coz-that's-what-I've-c
Jeff
I give this short story five stars for a few reasons. First and most importantly, the concept. The idea here is fantastic and new to me. As a participant in a virtual world, I can love to find books that take on that culture, and Hugh took it to a whole mother level in just 57 pages. The next reason is because by page 35 or so, I started to question why he was being so descriptive, especially toward the end. Then, I realized why and that it was not only necessary, but a masterful storytelling ta ...more
Bojana
A short novella that packs a great punch. The premise was very interesting and the writing, quite powerful.
Kathy
Though I'm often drawn to books of 700 or 800 pages, I read this one, a mere 57 pages, because Hugh Howey is one of my favorite authors and I just can't resist. I was not disappointed! Not only does the Plagiarist address the nature of existence and reality, but it hits another note that I didn't even realize I was hearing. In this age of information overload, in reams of data and 700 page novels, is more better?

Like haiku, there is beauty in brevity. I loved it.
I liked the philosophical questions raised and also regained an appreciation for haiku as a counter agent to literary clutter.
Susana
Una propuesta interesante y corta.
September
This wasn't entirely what I was expecting. I got less of one thing and got a bit more of another. Not that that's a bad thing!! It was quite a mind bender of a story.

What surprised me most is that Adam is not entirely a likeable character, when you get down to it, but I found myself strongly empathizing with him. I felt really badly for him.

The ending was quite twisted. Nice!! Mr. Howey has done it again! The final image was... perfectly tragic.
Brian Berge
My main problem is that it's too short! This premise holds so much potential, so many possibilities. It is great for what it is though - a philosophical exercise in a sci-fi setting. At first I was upset that the main character couldn't see what was coming as well as I could, but then I realized that it only added another layer to the exercise. I found this novella much more thought provoking than other noted philosophical works. Well done!
Niels Pedersen
I'm seriously considering stalking Hugh Howey. When I find him it will be old school judo chop time.
Last night I read "The Plagiarist", by Hugh Howey, free on Kindle.
In my opinion this is at the very least as good as, if not more compelling, than Wool.
I thought I was a woolite, now I'm not wondering if I shouldn't be a server farm surfer.
Seriously Hugh, your killing me man.
Sincerely
Niels Pedersen
That guy outside your window
Ainsley
Mar 19, 2013 Ainsley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: e-readers looking for a short, satisfying read (maybe on a short plane ride like me)
Recommended to Ainsley by: Eric Wallace
Shelves: read-in-2013
"Is this real life? Or is this just fantasy?"

Last December I learned I love Hugh Howey. I loved his Wool series. I love good, fun, provocative writing. So, no surprise: I really liked The Plagiarist.

It is the slimmest of reads--less than 100 pages. And yet it's rich in character development and deep thoughts and has plenty of payoffs and "wait, WHAT?!?" moments.

Jim
21st Century Story for our Virtual World

THE PLAGIARIST is a short story (64 short pages) by WOOL-SHIFT-DUST author, Hugh Howey. It is a cute little tidbit that could easily have formed the basis for an outstanding one hour TWILIGHT ZONE or OUTER LIMITS episode. Adam is a teacher, but he really makes his living by "ghost-writing" stories that were written by the virtual inhabitants of a virtual world that exists in his university's mainframe. He is also in love with one of that world's virtual in
beentsy
I loved this. Every single word of it. It felt like such a huge layered subject and it made my brain sweat just a little with the ramifications of it all but I would have gladly read a 1000 page novel of this story.
Jeanette (jema)
A little gem of a story, layers upon layers, words as silence.
Natalia Rox
I love Hugh Howey. His stories remind me of reading the Time Machine. I love the exciting worlds his stories take place in, but at the end you can relate to the characters.

Legacy is something a lot of us worry about. Some people find their legacy in their children, some find it in their work.

This story is about a man who is a plagarist. He "discovers" other people's work and takes it and publishes it on his world.

The way Howey writes makes you think about what you would do in the protagonist '
Gregg Matthews
I downloaded this e-book from Amazon to my Kindle Fire. I am a big fan of the writer and have read most of what he has published. I understand where the idea of this book came from and how committed the Author had to be to get this story out. The story did work. The story took me there and I did get caught up in it. The technology in the story was enough to keep me hook in. Not sure if this is for a wide no technical audience. This story has a gunslinger (SK) feel to it, it is all imagination. T ...more
Lianna
Amazing, but found
sim addiction far-fetched.
'Scuse me, Halo calls.
Chip
Well written, but sadly predictable.
  • The Runner (The Runner, #1)
  • The Epoch Index
  • Cleaning Up: a Silo story
  • The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads (The Human Division, #12)
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • The End of Marking Time
  • Post-Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors: A Duck & Cover Adventure
  • Transfection
  • Blue Skies (Atopia Chronicles, #1)
  • Earthman Jack vs. the Ghost Planet (The Earthman Jack Space Saga, #1)
  • Walker
  • The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries (The Great Courses)
  • Perigee
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified
More about Hugh Howey...
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) Wool (Wool, #1) Shift (Silo, #2) Dust (Silo, #3) First Shift: Legacy (Shift, #1)

“....faking his real life so he can live his fake one.” 3 likes
“He said roughly thirty percent of everything we see is hallucination. It’s our brain smoothing things over so the world’s not so pixelated.” 0 likes