Start by marking “ Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time” as Want to Read:
 Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time

Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Build Your Word Know-How--and Stand OutThe right words help you make a good impression--smart, professional, and trustworthy. Poor word choices can make coworkers, teachers, friends, or editors think you're unprofessional, uneducated, or lazy. It s critical that you learn the best methods for preventing wrong-word problems and catching errors in your writing.

"Word Savvy" t...more
Published November 7th 2011 by Writer's Digest Books (first published October 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Word Savvy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Word Savvy

Jane Rowan
If you’re the kind of writer who isn’t sure of your it’s and its, your effect/affect, then/than, loose/lose, then this is a terrific book for you. The main section of the text is organized alphabetically by these often-confused words, explaining the difference, giving examples, and in many cases giving a short series of fill-in-the-blanks exercises to nail the concepts down (answers in the back). The layout is clear and emphatic, making it easy to use.

If you have no trouble with these word pairs...more
Kaitlin
Okay, I received "Word Savvy" today in high anticipation. I thought the book was going to be a fun grammatical book that would teach me "new" words. It kind of did, but not in the way I at first thought it would.

This is what the book IS: The book is basically a review of commonly confused words and showing you how to use them properly. It's a great English fresh-up, though not what I would consider an engrossing Saturday read. If you want to check up on your grammar this a fantastic book. It is...more
Kitty
I won this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. It might sound kind of nerdy, but I really liked it! It was well written and informative and even though english is already my best subject, I learned a lot. I use it mostly for reference, and it's great for that, but it's good to read straight through too. Not boring like other English reference guides or textbooks

Ken
Good source to go to in case you're caught in a pickle on which word to use, and feel like I'm a little better prepared in writing a paper having read this book along with tips to follow and mistakes in trying to avoid.

Thank you for having this in the goodreads first-reads program and getting it to me so quickly as well. Very enjoyable read :) Thank you Nancy :)
Jordan
As an English teacher, I am always looking for relatable resources for my students. This is one that is going on the shelf Monday. Thanks so much!
Douglas Larson
More of a reference than a book to read cover to cover. However, the explanations for the misuse of words along with their correct use was clear and helpful.

For each word the incorrect or misuse is presented first, followed by the correct meaning and its use. In addition the author provides what she calls memory tricks to help in remembering the correct meaning and/or usage. She even includes a quiz for nearly every word for the reader to test his or her understanding.

The book is relatively ne...more
Diana (Bever) Barber
Thank you to the author, Nancy Ragno, for choosing me as part of a recent Goodreads contest to read and review this book. I'm impressed with this timely tool. I like to think that I don't really need the help it offers and that I'll only take a look at this to "help someone else." I laugh at myself now; because, I have found a few things I could improve on in my own writing. After reading this book, some of you may even find some of them in this review!

The premise of Ms. Ragno's book (backed up...more
For full disclosure purposes, I won this book through the first reads program. This book is a great resource for anyone who puts words on paper. I like books like this, and this is the best I've encountered so far. This book is not just a list of problem pair words like others are, it also gives useful examples to show the difference and different tricks to remember the difference between them. It also has quizzes for the reader to test themselves, which is really fun. This book is very useful,...more
Jackie Kristensen
This was a very informative book. I enjoyed the quizzes at the end of each "lesson" to help you understand what was just read. I thought I was "word savvy" until I read this. I didn't realize all of the mistakes I've been making over the years, even though most of them were small. I also enjoyed the resume suggestions and actually used them today to rewrite my resume. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who needs a little extra help with their grammar and anyone who thinks they might ha...more
Barbara
I received this book through the First Reads Program. I was expecting it to be more like "Word Power" in Reader's Digest but it isn't. That being said, it is a good resource for those who use the wrong word in situations for example, formerly instead of formally. You may not even know you've been using the wrong word all this time unti you read Word Savvy!
Chesky_division
Mar 21, 2012 Chesky_division rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chesky_division by: Nancy Ragno
Shelves: first-reads, winners
Was surprised to find WORD SAVVY in my mail box today. I really happy I've been flipping through it and so has my son. I'm sure I will be using it a lot. I would have like small note to come with the book or a notification that I had won.. That is all right I'm just happy to have received it.

Vanessa Arcangel
Mar 15, 2012 Vanessa Arcangel marked it as to-read
Shelves: potential
Ah! This is awesome!! ^ - ^ I am a word lover. This is definitely going to go in my library; this is definitely going to be shared with my boyfriend (who wishes to be word savvy, actually).
Silly
Mar 18, 2012 Silly marked it as to-read
I won this book from First Reads. Looks like a good book. Thank you.
Kirei
I won this book through Goodreads! ^_^
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Darlene Reilley
Darlene Reilley marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Adam Santo
Adam Santo is currently reading it
May 03, 2014
Manpreet
Manpreet marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Meagan Burgess
Meagan Burgess marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Evangelista Grace
Evangelista Grace is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Mar 02, 2014
Christian Paulino
Christian Paulino marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Kyle
Kyle added it
Feb 05, 2014
Samantha
Samantha is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Daniel G.
Daniel G. marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
The President Did What?: Presidential Trivia Quiz Writers' Quotations on Writing and the Writing Life The Money Savvy Spending Journal: The Fast and Easy Way to Track Your Spending and Gain Control Over Your Money World Of Language Audio Library 1 Grade 2 (Read Alouds And Sing Alongs) (Audio C World of Language (Grade 8)