Start by marking “Chasing Down the Dawn: Stories From The Road” as Want to Read:
Chasing Down the Dawn: Stories From The Road

Chasing Down the Dawn: Stories From The Road

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  27 reviews
AIready a legendary performer in the music industry, Jewel has been writing poetry, short stories, and prose since she was young. She's also a bestselling author, poet, and actress. Now this uniquely talented artist opens the pages of her most intimate journals to give readers, fans, and friends a glimpse of her magical, turbulent life.

Drawn from life on the road during he
Published March 29th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Down the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Down the Dawn

Libby
I have a real soft spot for Jewel cause I love real soulful honest raw stuff and this girl shoots straight from the heart. This book has only increased my admiration for this girl. I love her poetic writing style and the way she makes the ordinary seem extraordinary. I remember when her first album came out and I was taken by its honesty, its raw power and loved it. I also remember the backlash...people saying her music was hokey, sentimental, trite blah blah blah...all I could hear was truth an ...more
Sabah
From 12 - 4 am on a cold fall night in Alaska, I drove with sleeping my friend Jenny along a non-lit winding highway to Denali Natl Park. Jewel's voice, reading this book, kept me company. To read this poetic and loving tribute to Jewel's childhood is to understand the isolated and occasionally stark, but beautiful, proud and independent people and land that is uniquely Alaska.
Lindsay
An enjoyable, rambling story of Jewel's life. It jumps around a lot, but it adds to the storytelling feel of it.
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
I loved this book! I've been a fan of Jewel's for such a long time, though I haven't been so dedicated to her music since she went country (I know ... bad fan!). I picked up 'Chasing Down The Dawn' because I spent so much of this year NOT reading. I had picked up my guitar and was looking to Jewel for inspiration - and it worked!

It's not just about Jewel having lived in her van, but rather the determination and focus she had when it came to following her dream. She went through a lot growing up
J
Autobiographies are not generally a preference for me, however having read Jewels' A Night Without Armor I felt it would do her justice to know her story. It was a life of some difficulty, and the book is quite a raw offering, skating over latencies and true emotion without truly delving into the issues that would give any psychologist a field day. There were moments of boredom for me, but that could stem from my deference to novels with action and intrigue.
All in all, this is a woman's life, a
Gabriella
I am just rereading this right now. I haven't read it in a long time.

I just finished reading this and I loved it more than I did the first time. Jewel contradicts herself sometimes so there were a few parts that were a little bit hard to understand. I relished reading about her childhood the wisdom she learned, and the many different experiences she went through on her journey. Some of them were sad, funny, peculier and challenging. They all helped bulid Jewel up to the person she is today. She
Guy Allen
As a long term fan of Jewel's music, I have been impressed by the poetry in the songs she has written. I welcomed the chance to learn more about this talented lady through her story. I wasn't disappointed. Her tale is a well-woven narration of her early years growing up in Alaska to a look at her life on the road as a successful performer. The insights into her soul reveal her sensitivity and explain her ability to produce such poignant lyrics. The is a must-read for any young performers aspirin ...more
Winter Rose
Beautiful Writings & Storytelling! Excellent Book!
Tammy
Chasing Down the Dawn is a collection of diary-like musings/experiences presented in a non-chronological stream of consciousness flow, interleaved with photographs and drawings. It was a relaxing, interesting read. I was surprised how much I liked the book. I enjoyed reading about her unique perspective/experiences from a childhood in rural Alaska to the independent/supportive/nomadic/unstructured upbringing to developing her talent and her career and finally, to fame and fortune.
Stephanie A.
I was stunned from page 1 by the breathtaking imagery, wrapped in a silken cocoon of exquisite wording. I loved how it wasn't a chronological autobiography but a timeless and enchanting collection of observations and memories, like all her early songs knit together to form a tangible work of art. Book was a physical work of art too, with its oversized pages full of color photos and her doodles. I am enchanted!
Cassy
I love, love, love Jewel, but this book was not what I expected. It's basically random stories and journal entries which give the feeling of, "Look how cool I was, but I'm too cool to say it out-right so I'll just hint around at it because I was raised on a ranch and lived out of my van." Not my cup of tea, but there are some cool poems and sketches that she does.
Anna
"I want love to be simple. I want to trust without thinking. I want to be generous with my affection and patience and love unconditionally. It is easier to love a person with their flaws than to weed through them. I want to love the whole person, not parts; and this is how I want to be loved."
Megan
I absolutely delved into this autobio of Jewel. She writes much like Faulkner, with so many thoughts strung together. I liked her poetry and journaling because she is an interesting writer, not because she is a star.
Alicia
Apr 30, 2008 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jewel fans
Recommended to Alicia by: Elizabeth Albrecht, a Christmas present my Junior year of High S
Shelves: read-underlined
Inspirational. Jewel made writing in a journal necessary to every girl's personal growth and self discovery. The passages seem genuine, as if the contents were not originally intended for public view.
Td
Fantastic book. I'm quite amused about this book because it's not just a simple life story of her. This book gives inspiration to those who feels the world/luck is against them. A must read.
Aaron
A thoughtful, heartfelt short biography from a sensitive artist who was at the beginning of her career. Interesting to read this 13 years later, after she's had ups and downs.
Susan
This is a great read, not an account of Jewel as a celebrity, but an account of Jewel as a person and an artist. It really gave me so much appreciation for her.
Feb 29, 2008 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jewel fans
Shelves: nonfiction
Jewel wrote little snippets from her life. This was nothing earth-shattering, but it was enjoyable, and it gave a good insight into her very out-of-the-ordinary life.
Chole Allyson
I have been a fan of Jewel's for a very long time. I enjoyed reading the poems and looking at her younger pictures. She is a very inspirational person.
Becky
This book reads like a journal of rambling, beautiful, poetic thoughts and feelings.
Libby
This is a great book about the singer Jewel and about her growing up in Alaska.
Ary D. Cahyono
You have to earn the easy way through the hard way.
D'Arcy
Jewel never ceases to inspire me.
Stephanie
The best "autobiography" I've read
Adrian
Boring, the poetry was much better.
Kristen
  • North by Northwestern: A Seafaring Family on Deadly Alaskan Waters
  • Elvis
  • Starting Over
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
Jewel Kilcher is an American singer, songwriter, actress, poet and philanthropist, generally known just by her first name, Jewel. She has received three Grammy Award nominations. Her debut album Pieces of You became one of the best selling debut albums of all time going platinum twelve times.
More about Jewel...
A Night Without Armor That's What I'd Do Pieces of You Sweet Dreams: with audio recording Chasing Down the Dawn: Stories From The Road

“I want love to be simple. I want to trust without thinking. I want to be generous with my affection and patience and love unconditionally. It is easier to love a person with their flaws than to weed through them. I want to love the whole person, not parts; and this is how I want to be loved.” 35 likes
“everything is temporary if you give it enough time...” 12 likes