Start by marking “Jack and the Flumflum Tree” as Want to Read:
Jack and the Flumflum Tree

Jack and the Flumflum Tree

Jack's Granny is sick with a bad case of the moozles! And the only cure is the fruit of the fantastic flumflum tree which grows on the faraway Isle of Blowyernose. It's a perilous journey, but Jack bravely sets sail, with a motley crew of only three.
Published July 1st 2011 by MacMillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Jack and the Flumflum Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and the Flumflum Tree

The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinThe Lorax by Dr. SeussA Tree Is Nice by Janice May UdryThe Tale of Three Trees by Angela Elwell HuntThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry
Picture Books About Trees
99th out of 112 books — 24 voters
The Gruffalo by Julia DonaldsonRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonThe Smartest Giant in Town by Julia DonaldsonThe Snail and the Whale by Julia DonaldsonThe Gruffalo's Child by Julia Donaldson
Best of Julia Donaldson
57th out of 100 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Edel Mc
Nov 26, 2012 Edel Mc rated it liked it
Book review
Jack and the Flumflum Tree By the author Julia Donaldson

Jack decides to go on a voyage to find the fruit that grows on flumflum tree in order to help his granny get rid of her spots. He leaves on his journey with his multicultural crew; they come across many dangers but are saved by the contents of the patchwork sack Jacks granny gave them. This book is told in rhyme. The story keeps you interested and gives lots of room for imagination. There are some many items mention in the short
Lynley
Oct 04, 2016 Lynley rated it it was ok
The title suggests this may be a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk but it's not really -- it's an original tale based on mythic structure with elements of Little Red Riding Hood (the sick grandma) and pirate adventures (the big seas, the small boat). Like any good fairytale, this story makes use of the rule of threes.

This is also a carnivalesque story, in which the opponents are friendly, easily distracted, and very happy to join the children in their hi-jinks.

The book annoys me for the same r
Anna
Oct 03, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Fantastic ! Love the rhyming.
Katie Antrobus
Nov 03, 2013 Katie Antrobus rated it really liked it
This very animated adventure of young Jack unfolds when he sets sail on a voyage to the Isle of Blowyernose to cure his Granny’s ‘Moozles.’ Once his boat is built and he has found his crew, red-cheeked Rose and stubble-checked Stu, the voyage begins and off they sail. They discover that the ocean is a very dangerous place however, prior to departure Granny gave Jack a patchwork sack. Perhaps the contents of the sack will help them to overcome the problems they encounter, sharks attacks, a leak ...more
Today We Did
May 05, 2015 Today We Did rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Today We Did

Jack’s Granny has developed the Moozles, and there is only one known cure, the fruit of the Flumflum tree. The Flumflum tree grows on the distant island of Blowyernose, but Jack is determined to reach it and return with the fruit to cure his Granny. He builds a boat, secures a crew, and gets ready to sail. Granny gives him a patchwork sack full of interesting objects that she thinks the adventurers may need, and they set off, but what awaits them along their journey?

Jack and the Flum
Library Quine
Wow! This is a great book - it has it all!
Jack's granny is ill with the moosles and the only cure is to eat the fruit from the flumflum tree. Jack and his multicultural crew set sail to the Isle of Blowyernose to bring back a cure for granny. The engaging story is told in rhyme, with just the right amount of naughtiness and repetition with the phrase "Don't get your knickers in a twist said Jack, let's have a look in the patchwork sack". The illustrations are fun too, very colourful with lots of
Pauline
Oct 28, 2012 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My classes author this half term was Julia Donaldson. All her books were thoroughly enjoyed. I particularly loved this story. Rhyme, repetition, a fantastic story and beautifully illustrated and of course the "don't get your knickers in a twist" line for the children. I had never heard of this story before and now wonder why it is not as famous as The Gruffalo? My class and I highly recommend it.
Lena
Apr 29, 2015 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love David Roberts' illustrations! I recognised his style from the Fairy Detective Agency books so I just had to pick it up. It's a lovely little story about a journey to a Flumflum tree and appropriate for my age (27) I cracked up every time Jack said "Don't get your knickers in a twist.". Oh, also, this one has rhymes if you like that! I think it worked wonderfully.
Deanna Quirke
When his Grandma is poorly, Jack and his friends sale off the the Isle of Blowyernose in order to track down the mythical Flum Flum fruit that will make her better. It's a lovely vibrant book with beautiful illustrations, and the nonsense words used will both entertain KS1, and help them improve their phonetical knowledge for the Year 1 phonics screening.
Dom Conlon
Jan 09, 2014 Dom Conlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love picture books which don't rhyme; they offer a tone and approach all their own. But when you start out on one which does, wow, it's liberating and an adventure in speaking. The Flum Flum tree is Donaldson at her best. It's a flight of fancy which flows without a hitch. Beautiful.
Judy
I love David Roberts' work. I think I prefer his black and white work as he does 'gothic' so well, but still excellent. Particularly loved some of the details like the sharks swimming under the wave pattern. Expert.

Not my favourite Julia Donaldson book.
Roshanne
Dec 01, 2012 Roshanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
I think I have read this book to my 3yo on average once a day since he got it. It has lovely rhyme and the pictures are beautifully drawn. It's not too taxing on a 3 year old's attention span. Much better than a lot of kids books out there - holds the parents attention as well as the childs.
Melissa Fisher
Nov 08, 2015 Melissa Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son thoroughly enjoyed reading this. The humour injected into this book is memorable with my son laughing at 'blowyernose' long after the book was finished.
Jon Bradley
Aug 18, 2013 Jon Bradley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's no Tolstoy. Maybe I'm not the target audience. It might take me a while to get used to being a parent.
Kulawat Wongsaroj
Aug 23, 2013 Kulawat Wongsaroj rated it it was amazing
One of my Julia Donaldson's most favorite books. Story is fun and interesting. The rhyme is excellent. Music CD is superb!
Christina
Feb 22, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit, oliver
Very silly adventures of young jack as he sails to the isle of blowyernose to cure his grandmother's "moozles." gets lots of giggles every time it's read at our house
R
Sep 10, 2015 R rated it it was amazing
My favourite Julia Donaldson book so far. Love the rhyme, the wacky imagination and of course Jacks repeated verse to his friends.
A must read for young children - they LOVE IT!!!
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Vlada
Vlada rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Anja
Anja rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Martha
Martha rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
James Brown
James Brown rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
Orq Brown
Orq Brown rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Lisa Cogan
Lisa Cogan rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Britney Gunter
Britney Gunter rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
  • Some Dogs Do
  • Dragon Stew
  • King Pig
  • How the Sphinx Got to the Museum
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • That's Not My Tractor
  • Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn
  • Hungry Hen
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho
More about Julia Donaldson...