Start by marking “The Abide Guide: Living Like Lebowski” as Want to Read:

The Abide Guide: Living Like Lebowski

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  242 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

THE DUDE ABIDES...
AND YOU CAN TOO!
When you seek salvation from this stressed out, uptight world, there's only one man to go to for guidance--the Dude. At once helpful, funny and profound (like The Big Lebowski itself), this survival guide from the founders of the Church of the Latter-Day Dude and their top disciples shows how to be as Dude-like as the Dude (well, almost):
Published October 8th 2014 by Ulysses Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Abide Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abide Guide

Brian
Jun 21, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
so, really i only read about half of this book. the first half was interesting enough, i liked the breakdown of the movie through the eyes of the people that wrote the book.

but when it broke down into the whole philosophy of living like lebowski and interviews with women about whether or not women can be "dudes", well it became a waste of time around there. but, thats like, just my my opinion, man.

fortunately, what i read didnt take anything away from the movie.
Ed C
Aug 15, 2011 Ed C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dudeism
As an active member of the Dudeist community I've been waiting a while for this book to be finished and released. I was a little apprehensive before reading it, not knowing what the balance between The Big Lebowski (TBL) and non-Lebowskiian Dudeist concepts would lie within.

I was pleasantly surprised that there was a good mix, and the concepts as presented within about TBL are actually quite insightful and aren't bandied about too much for no good reason.

The first part of the book is a wonderful
Susan Klinke
Does the Dude remind anyone else of Pooh Bear??? Silly old bear forever in pursuit of honey... Wouldn't you say the Pooh Abides? Ever read the Tao of Pooh?? Try to get a visual of Pooh relaxing in the tub, surrounded by candles, enjoying a few smackerals of honey, when suddenly and rudely some nihilists break down the door to his tree. Imagine his reaction. Oh bother...

What is it that's so great about the Dude? Is it his deeply casual fashion sense and attitude? His lack of regard to one's class
Jeff Scott
Essential reading for all raving fans of The Big Lebowski, the Abide Guide takes those threads of theory about the movie and puts it into a cohesive narrative and philosophy. Anyone who’s watched the movie so many times that they take away an existential experience or mentioned that The Dude’s desire for the rug is the cause of his suffering should be reading this book. Likewise anyone who believes in The Dude’s philosophy in the film can broaden their horizon with these Dudeist Priest authors. ...more
Brad Barker
Mar 25, 2013 Brad Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dudeist Priest's and those interested.
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed the book. It's hard to describe the book itself... Let me put it this way, if your a fan of The Big Lebowski, interested in Dudeism (The Church of Latter-Day Dude) and a bit of Eastern philosophy, then man, you'll dig this book. Heck, you may even find some things in it that will help you to sit back and take it a bit more easy in this crazy, hooked up, sound byte, faster faster, consumer oriented, work yourself to death culture. If not, well, fuck it Dude, you might as well jus ...more
Paul Kratochwill
May 11, 2013 Paul Kratochwill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on the cheap for my Kindle and I was not disappointed. If you have seen the movie "The Big Lebowski" and you liked that movie, this book is for you. If you have never seen the movie or did not like the movie, pass on this book.

It was an easy book to read and I was able to read it in sections and still keep my train of thought. There were sections in the book that made me laugh out loud in its description living like Lebowski.
David Kenny
Sep 16, 2014 David Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took way too long to get round to reading this. Well worth it. Highly enlighten-upening.
eeegooo
in realtà non ho nessuna voglia di recensire questo libro come voi di leggerla. se poi il destino vi porterà a sfogliare queste pagine, beh allora ve le consiglio e le troverete leggere e con ciò che serve a un libro del genere. tenete botta gente!
Rich Nairn
Oct 19, 2012 Rich Nairn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is the most beaten up book in my collection, that being as I have read it over and over.
Not only did the guys at Dudeism give us the slowest growing religion in the world, but possibly the greatest self help book ever written.
Watch the Big Lebowski, read this book and simply Abide!
Kris
Apr 06, 2013 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can't be an ordained dudeist priest and not read up on things (although mixing common sense with 'the art of being and remaining idle' and 'abiding', topping it off with a dash of zen philosophy will get you there too). This books holds no surprises.
Randy Ray
Cute book, but it tries a little too hard to be funny, sometimes. I could have used fewer quotes and homages to the movie's screenplay--they come so fast and so furious that they're distracting. That being said, it's still a really cool book.
Courtney (pirogoeth)
Mar 28, 2013 Courtney (pirogoeth) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Courtney (pirogoeth) by: Hubby
This is a book that everyone should read. Of course not everyone will get the same thing from it. But the smallest amount that can be taken away from this book will help make one's life more Dude-like.

Just abide.
Jeff Loquist
Jun 24, 2014 Jeff Loquist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

As an ordained Dudeist priest I approve of this message...fuck it, let's go bowling.
Ben Halsted
Jul 26, 2013 Ben Halsted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously takes an easy stroll towards becoming more relaxed and less stressed outlook on things.
Mauro Minenna
Jan 21, 2014 Mauro Minenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Divertente. E per certi versi anche utile per prenderla così come viene.
Malaina
Aug 15, 2013 Malaina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A White Russian...with a side of theology.
Ahmed Xahabi
The dude abides
Ali Al-Yassen
Ali Al-Yassen marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Josh G
Josh G rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
RbDeraj
RbDeraj marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Muhammed Hesham
Muhammed Hesham marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Atom
Atom rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Dmitri
Dmitri marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Stacy Metals
Stacy Metals marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Bedouinjester
Bedouinjester rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Rob Steinbock
Rob Steinbock rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Anthony Granito
Anthony Granito rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Jeff Daugherty
Jeff Daugherty rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
JDE
JDE rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2016
  • The Dude De Ching
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • The Big Lebowski: The Making of a Coen Brothers Film
  • The Big Lebowski and Philosophy: Keeping Your Mind Limber with Abiding Wisdom
  • I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: Life, The Big Lebowski, and What Have You
  • My Day by Jones: the Cat's-Eye View of Alien
  • The Dude and the Zen Master
  • LOLcat Bible: In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs n stuffs
  • The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Bookshelf
  • Deleuze: The Clamor of Being
  • Two Gentlemen of Lebowski: A Most Excellent Comedie and Tragical Romance
  • Management of the Absurd
  • Japanamerica: How Japanese Pop Culture Has Invaded the U.S.
  • The Wes Anderson Collection: The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • On Prayer and The Contemplative Life
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Screenplay
  • Ludwig Revolution, Vol. 1

“The words of proto-Dude Oscar Wilde seem especially apt in a bowling alley decorated extensively with “googie” motifs: We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” 0 likes