Start by marking “Between the Lines” as Want to Read:
Between the Lines

Between the Lines (Between the Lines #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,264 Ratings  ·  4,169 Reviews
Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.
And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook princ
Published June 26th 2012 by Simon Pulse Simon Schuster (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Between the Lines, please sign up.

SparklingRuby20 Between The Lines is the first book and then Off The Page is the companion to it.
Faith Roche This is the first book, and then Off the Page is the second book.
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
79th out of 1,007 books — 6,314 voters
YA Novels of 2012
233rd out of 1,324 books — 10,561 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine Riccio
Jun 19, 2015 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
This was super fluffy, cute, and easy to read. It felt like I was reading a fairy tale as a child! It doesn't feel like young adult, but it's a charming, refreshing read! Here's my booktalk: https://youtu.be/D59k9BvRTVg
Eden
Jun 27, 2014 Eden rated it it was ok
a) Just because a woman/mermaid dislikes men doesn't make her a feminist. Oh my Lord, do I really have to bring this up after the Tempest fiasco? That makes her a misandrist: a man-hater. A feminist is a person who believes in equality for both men and women. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS. (This is not snark. This is pure naked truth.)

b) Just because you make a lack of courage your hero's tragic flaw doesn't mean you can make him perfect in every other way. I'm a little sick and tired of all the b
Giselle
Jul 07, 2012 Giselle rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own, fantasy
I'm not sure if the fact that I've read a few books by Jodi Picoult in the past affected my enjoyment of this novel, and even though I knew not to expect her usual story-type since it's written with her daughter, this was a lot different than what I had envisioned. It's a good book. It is. But I think it's aimed at a younger YA audience and this is where I was left a little underwhelmed.

It's a fairy tale in all it's classic glory. This is a story about princes, love, friends, overcoming the imp
Nafiza
Jun 27, 2012 Nafiza rated it it was ok
There is a very famous play by Tom Stoppard called Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. The play deals with metaphysical elements of two-dimensional characters who question their existence and its cyclical nature. Between the Lines reminded me of that play. It, too, deals with a character in a fictional piece of work fighting against his existence or, perhaps, the lack of it. There are some very delightful illustrations accompanying the text – my favourite is the one where Prince Oliver is cli ...more
Julie
Jul 17, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
It was an interesting concept, but not very well executed.

The book was extremely inconsistent. For example, how could Oliver know what a fire extinguisher and orthodontia is but not a sandwich? They had sandwiches back in the Middle Ages, even if they didn't call them sandwiches.

Plus, I'm not sure what the target audience of this book it. It's marketed as YA, but the writing is so straight-forward and simple. The authors try to add themes and "deep meaning" to this book, but it's so ridiculous
Michelle
Feb 01, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is still young at heart
Anyone familiar with Picoult’s solo adult books will know they usually involve moral issues and can be very confrontational. The first thing you need to do when you pick up this book: forget about her solo work and remember this is a joint effort. Trust me when I say it is something completely different from any of her previous works. And, boy, is it wonderful.

Delilah is a teenager who doesn’t really ‘fit in’ to any of the groups at school and she *gasp* spends her lunchtime in the library. She
Cazzy
Feb 15, 2013 Cazzy rated it did not like it

(This review will contain major spoilers)

I really wanted to like this book. The idea of it was good- what book-loving girl hasn't wanted a fictional character? I've always been a sucker for fairy tales, and that's why the book appealed to me.
But oh, was this book terrible. I could go on for hours talking about why I didn't like it, but I'm just going to talk about a few major points.

1.) The High School/Delilah
Cliche, cliche cliche. In the introduction, Jodi mentioned how her daughter was a junio
Carrie
Aug 16, 2012 Carrie rated it did not like it
Written by Jodi Picoult and her daughter Samantha van Leer, and it's evident from the very first line that the only writing Jodi did in this was adding her name to the cover.
The book is targeted YA, but it is a very young YA.
It lacked any of the punch, depth and insight that Jodi's work usually has. The story concept could have been interesting if it had been better written. But it was full of plot holes and continuity issues, and everything really only seemed to be addressed on a superficial
Kim
May 01, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-and-youth
While the concept was cute and the illustrations fun, I can't help but wonder if this would have made it onto the shelves had Jodi's name not been attached. Don't get me wrong, for a first book written by a teen, it's good, and I am sure Jodi is proud of her daughter, but she has a long way to go before reaching her mom's ability. The characters were very flat, and the ending was unbelievable. It actually started out pretty well and had mysterious build up, only to fall short. I'm glad I didn't ...more
Booknut
Sep 22, 2012 Booknut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered what happens when you close a book?

Do the characters stay frozen?
Do they play chess on the beach?
Do they rehearse their lines and try on outfits?
Do they gossip about characters and munch on snacks?
Or do they long to escape their 'happily ever after'?

A mesmerising tale of a young girl and a fictional prince who enlist the help of the other to escape their worlds and to discover how their own stories end.
Pinky
Jul 30, 2015 Pinky rated it it was amazing
What if your fictional crush spoke to you? Think about it... Imagine Will Herondale started talking to you and asked you to rescue him and take him out of the book. Wouldn't it be a dream come true?

Well that's what happened to fifteen year old Delilah, a miserable teenager who wants nothing more but for her fictional crush, Prince Oliver to come to life. Between the Lines is one of the books made by the author and it's one of a kind, and Delilah found it in her library. Between the Lines is on
~Tina~
Aug 21, 2012 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it

Delilah has never felt like she belonged to the real world. Sure, she has her best friend, Jules and her mom, but her life at school is miserable and she never grew up with a dad. So it's no wonder that she clings to her books so desperately. They can never disappoint her and it's where happily ever after exists, if only for a short while.
But what if the characters in your stories don't end after you close the book for the night? What happens if the characters go about their business i
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Not many books have the white paper with colored ink, but I’m so glad this one does because the illustrations are gorgeous. There are also little silhouettes scattered through out the pages to identify important characters, scenes and plot. I love how the colours and typeface are different when it changes from Oliver’s viewpoint to Delilah’s viewpoint.

I love how Oliver wants to be something more than just an actor in a book. He wants to make a difference. To be extraordinary, not ordinary were h
Becca
Jun 29, 2012 Becca rated it did not like it
I hate not finishing books. It kills me not to finish a book, no matter how many issues I may have with it. That said, I could not stomach sitting through all of Between the Lines. I did not have it in me. I was so eager to read it, too. I love any take on fairytales. I love retellings, re-workings, anything. I love the television show Once Upon a Time. I. Love. Fairytales. When I saw that this was about fairytales, I was excited to read this book. A few chapters in, however, I knew it was going ...more
Emily
Jul 01, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book! I was first planning to purchase this book as a NOOKbook, but when I opened it up at the store, I just had to buy the physical copy. The full-paged colored illustrations, the pictures placed beautifully around the pages, and different fonts and colors made this book so pretty. Normally you see books with amazing covers, but this was just all-around gorgeous!

I read this in about three hours. I wasn't sure what to expect, because I hadn't ever read the synopsis on it before.
Lizzie
Jul 30, 2015 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, ALL OF THE STARS FOR THIS BOOK!! Honestly, this is one of my new all-time favorite books, I wouldn't change anything about it. It was so perfect!! <3
I'm not going to write a long review, but... just read it. Please. It's seriously perfect, and I am now going to be telling everybody that I know to just buy it and read it, because it will truly touch your life. So so soo good. :')
I'm so excited to start the sequel/companion novel, Off The Page! I will be starting it... probably
Mel
View this review on my blog: thatgirlbookworm

I have to say, my rating for this one surprised me. It's no secret that Jodi Picoult is one of, if not my favorite author. I now own 21 of her books and my collection is only growing from here. But this one was not cutting it for me. 60% through the book this was still only a 2.5/5 star book for me. But it got so much better near the end and improved and I really enjoyed it to the point where it became a 4 star book.

This book had a GREAT concept. It
AmeliaaXavier
Actual Rating: 4.65 Star!

Between The Lines is such a fun, light-hearted and feel good story. Many people have given this book poor reviews, but I think it's simply because the story wasn't intended for them. Since I actually read the synopsis of this book beforeI read it, I knew this was a YA novel written by Jodi Picoult and her daughter. This book is a sweet middle-grade contemporary romance with inklings of magical realism. It pays homage to fairytales, with some clever interpretations of how
Indah
Jun 13, 2015 Indah rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-again
I wanted to love this book. Hell, I wanted to adore it. It has gorgeous pictures and silhouettes and just the entire lay-out is incredible. Also Jodi Picoult's name is quite a known one, and not for the worst. The fact that she had written it with her daughter only made me more interested, as well as an interesting premise: what happens to the characters when you close a book.

BUT GUESS WHAT: IT WAS POORLY EXECUTED!

The Plot:

At the beginning, I was interested in how the story was going, as you g
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Oh LAWD, was that cheesy.
That was one of the most corny books I've ever read.

Excuse me, review to be written after I've stopped vomiting rainbows and sunshine.

Oliver is a prince, trapped inside the same fairytale and desperate to get out. When Delilah picks up the book, she falls in love with the story...and with Oliver. She's also the only one who can hear him.
The two try every way possible to get Oliver out of the fairytale, but nothing works. How can they be together when Oliver is only ink
Cass -  Words on Paper
4/5

Between the Lines

+ Interesting premise, cutesy but it definitely had me thinking.
+ Issues of abandonment, separation, anxiety and social demise.
+ The storybook characters vs. the "real life" characters - their personalities and the idea that there's more than meets the readers' eyes.
+++ Illustrations. This instantly gets a book brownie points. Every single one of them brings more to the story and enhances the experience rather than hinders or distracts. It's a book about a fairytale - what be
Whitney Atkinson
May 16, 2014 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it
This book was so so so neat and the writing was great and I couldn't put it down, but as good as the idea sounded in the synopsis, the actual story was kind of silly. Regardless, I still enjoyed it although the main character was annoying and the characters' actions sometimes weren't very believable.
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
This was a really really REALLY cute book. Enjoyed it immensely. I only wish it would actually happen. To me. I want an Oliver. Specifically one named William Herondale or Daemon Black.
Leigh
Dec 12, 2015 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when we close a book we're reading? Between The Lines uniquely gives us a new understanding of our beloved fictional characters. It actually gave life to characters, separate and different from how we know/read them to be. It starts with the usual "Once Upon a Time" of a fairytale and tells the backstory of a kingdom and.. you know the drill... And then the next chapter, we meet Prince Oliver like we've never met any other fictional characters before! And then we meet Delilah, who i ...more
Tamara
1,5 stars
“REAL FAIRY TALES are not for the fainthearted. Children get eaten by witches and chased by wolves; women fall into comas and are tortured by evil relatives. Somehow all that pain and suffering is worthwhile, though, when it leads to the ending: happily ever after. Suddenly it no longer matters if you got a B- on your midterm in French or you’re the only girl in the school who doesn’t have a date for the spring formal. Happily ever after trumps everything.But what if ever after could c
Gina
Jul 14, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
Delilah is 15 years old. Unlike the other girls in her school, she is unpopular and addicted to a fairytale called Between The Lines. She dislikes suprises and enjoys the comfort of believing in a happy ending. When Oliver, a Prince in the fairytale speaks to her, Delilah must choose whether promise to help Oliver escape from the fairytale, even if it's impossible.

Jodi Picoult is an author I would not normally read, however this book is very different from her previous works. Although, in some w
Miranda
Oct 10, 2015 Miranda rated it really liked it
This book was so freaking cute. I ate it up. This book felt more like a middle grade book due to some of the immaturity of the characters, but I still enjoyed it! I love fairytales, and this book fed into my obsession. I felt like I was living out one of my childhood dreams. This book put a smile on my face, and I am so excited to read the next book.

4 / 5 Fangs
Leah/Elle/Ella (details about name in "about me")
Okay, here's my review. I liked this book. I thought it would get better as is went on, but it didn't. It was still a good book. What I liked about it was that it was unique. I just wish it would be more descriptive about some things, because I had a hard time picturing some of the things. But overall, I enjoyed this book. :)
Susane Colasanti
Oct 21, 2012 Susane Colasanti rated it it was amazing
This delightfully unique novel will entrance you. Everyone deserves a happy ending :)
Jenna David
Jun 26, 2015 Jenna David rated it really liked it
I think this is a perfect book for younger readers, maybe middle school aged to early high school. The main character, Delilah, is only 15, a freshman in high school. I loved the little illustrations in the book and the different point of views worked well together. I loved the idea of the characters in the story having their own lives when the reader closes the book. The plot was great but I thought the solution for the problem at the end was a little weird. Both Delilah and Oliver were pretty ...more
Young Adult Conte...: #5 Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer 13 13 Feb 10, 2016 02:21PM
RDNG 636 Fall 2015: Between the Lines 1 2 Nov 21, 2015 03:30PM
  • Enchanted (Books of Arilland #1)
  • Just Flirt
  • The Almost Truth
  • Wisdom's Kiss
  • Die goldene Brücke (Zeitenzauber, #2)
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • When You Were Mine
  • Zoe Letting Go
  • Beauty: First Edition
  • Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)
  • The Dead Girls Detective Agency (The Dead Girls Detective Agency #1)
  • Ghost Flower
  • Burn Mark (Burn Mark, #1)
  • Betrayal (Syrenka, #2)
  • Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles
  • The Sweetest Spell
  • Kissing Shakespeare
  • Crazy
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-two novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, LEAVING TIME, is now available in hardcover, ebook, and audio.

Website: http:/
More about Jodi Picoult...

Between the Lines (2 books)
  • Off the Page

“I’d much rather pretend I’m
somewhere else, and any time I open
the pages of a book, that happens.”
158 likes