Start by marking “Feingold: A New Democratic Party” as Want to Read:
Feingold: A New Democratic Party

Feingold: A New Democratic Party

Russ Feingold is a rarity in American politics. A staunch civil libertarian, he was the only member of the U.S. Senate who voted against the ill-conceived USA Patriot Act that was rushed through Congress in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks. In 2002, while the Bush administration's fabrications and scare tactics persuaded an overwhelming majority of the Senate ...more
Published July 24th 2007 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Feingold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feingold

Jim
Back when I still thought of myself as a (moderate) Republican, I was for Feingold. Like many Wisconsinites, I found him to be an unfortunately rare type of politician who was forthcoming, morally brave, and principled. I like Russ Feinfold, so I enjoyed reading this book. That said, it is a book with flaws.

Pretty quickly, it's apparent that this is more a work of political promotion than an objective biography. The author is obviously a fan and the Feinfold presented in this book is firmly in t
Wesley Korpela
Dec 28, 2012 Wesley Korpela rated it really liked it
The author, Sanford Horwitt, does an excellent job in his research of Feingold's life. Living in Wisconsin, I knew only a fraction about what Horwitt was able to find and accurately tell. He wrote it in such a way that made it enjoyable to read and increased my admiration for one of my favorite living American politicians.
At this point the book is out of date, ending roughly around 2004-2006. An updated version would be fantastic, otherwise you can read Russ Feingold's memoir, While America Sle
Tommy
Feb 18, 2008 Tommy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was AMAZING! This book catalogues the life of Russell Feingold and gives proof that he is the most principled, independent, intelligent, thoughtful, honest, and progressive senator (or politician for that matter) in our national landscape. This book just highlights the fact that Feingold is everything that we hope politicians can/should be. Reading this book can give you hope for our country and our world. Please read this book!
Karen
Sep 29, 2007 Karen rated it it was ok
I'll admit I skimmed here and there but this book contains some good information about a true standout and Progressive in the Senate. Notable: Rhodes Scholar, McCain-Feingold Bill (Profile in Courage Award), lone Democrat to vote to continue Clinton impeachment trials, lone opposer of the Patriot Act, vote against allowing Bush to invade Iraq.
Chi Dubinski
Oct 10, 2013 Chi Dubinski rated it liked it
Horwitt has produced a run-of-the-mill biography of the Wisconsin senator who has taken bold, not always popular stands. Feingold’s childhood, high school, and college years are covered in almost painstaking detail, while is first divorce is covered in six lines; the second divorce rates one sentence. It’s a one size fits all biography. Feingold deserves better.
Brandon
Nov 27, 2007 Brandon rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The names cited in the acknowledgments (and the tone) would seem to indicate that the author is a Feingold fan. And that's fine. The author hints that Feingold has a winning formula for Democrats. A provocative argument. It might be true, but I'm not convinced by what I read, probably because a full defense of that argument goes beyond the scope of the book. A light, enjoyable read.
John Bohnert
Nov 03, 2015 John Bohnert rated it liked it
I hope Russ Feingold wins in November 2016 in his bid for the U.S. Senate in Wisconsin. I donated $100.00 to his Senate campaign even though I live in California. Russ is my kind of politician.
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2011
Eeriewhisper
Eeriewhisper rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2009
Jason Reese
Jason Reese rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Ted Gault
Ted Gault rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2011
Erica
May 26, 2009 Erica rated it it was ok
Amazing man, not the greatest biography - but interesting nonetheless.
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2008
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2008
Toby
Toby rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Timothy Imhoff
Timothy Imhoff rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Joyce
Joyce rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2009
Sandy Horwitt
Sandy Horwitt rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Mantsch
Mantsch rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Zach Kahn
Zach Kahn rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Serena
Serena rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2009
Katiesmurphy
Dec 01, 2008 Katiesmurphy rated it really liked it
The book is 4 stars, for the pacing more than anything. But Feingold is 5+.
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2007
Toby
Toby rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2008
Jon
Jun 04, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
I liked the subject matter more than the author.
Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
Sanford D. Horwitt is an author, book critic and policy advisor to foundations and nonprofit organizations concerned with promoting civic engagement and strengthening democratic institutions. He is the author of "Let Them Call Me Rebel," a biography of Saul Alinsky. His book reviews and essays have appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, San Francisco Chronicle, Chicago Tribune, and ...more
More about Sanford D. Horwitt...