Start by marking “Come the Shadows” as Want to Read:
Come the Shadows

Come the Shadows

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Officer Will Harmon lives a comfortable life in Campbell Creek, North Carolina, where there hasn't been a murder in seventeen years. When bones are discovered in the old bread factory his life is disrupted but the body only the beginning. Challenges, threats, and surprising mysteries are coming and he will do whatever it takes to protect the life he loves...
Published July 27th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Come the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come the Shadows

Stacy Eaton
Author Wendy Young brings mystery and murder to the town of Campbell Creek; a small town outside of a major metropolitan area. With this mystery she brings along a set of twists to the plot and brings people into the arena of the bad guys that you would never have seen coming.

I enjoyed the writing style of Ms. Young. Her characters were very well developed. The friendships, the love, the necessary relationships between family members was very well laid out and easy to understand. Will and Laura...more
Itsjustme-wendy
I really liked this book! The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars was that it was a little slow in the beginning for me. I really started enjoying it more after Laura (Will's wife) was introduced, I loved her character! I liked Will, I just like reading about Women more. Especially strong women, and Laura had a strong character. I liked the way she just took some things into her own hands. And she loved and honored her husband but didn't let him rule her. She had a mind of her own. An...more
Emerald Barnes
This novel takes place in a small town, Campbell Creek. The main characters Will and Laura have a strong marriage which is a refreshing take on marriage in novels. They work together to solve the mysteries of the towns developments which tie in beautifully to the first murder in Campbell Creek in years. There is murder, cover ups, and developments you'll never see coming. Wendy Young has put together an intricate tale, and you won't want to leave Campbell Creek when it's over.

I expect wonderful...more
Jessica
I'm an avid reader of detective fiction series, from Lillian Jackson Braun to J.D. Robb, and I can say this is a series I will loyally follow. It starts a bit slow, setting up all the strings and characters, but this novel quickly becomes a page-turner that you won't want to put down. The characters are honest and real, and the plot strikes home for any of us who hold a small town in our hearts. A great start for a new author - and a reader who's anxiously awaiting Book 2!
Leedra
Very good mystery, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Suzanne
Well, I enjoyed it and will recommend it to my friends. The ending was a bit inconclusive but as there appears to be a sequel, perhaps the loose threads will be wound up.
Kate's Reads
Wendy L. Young's debut novel, "Come the Shadows" is the first installment of the Campbell Creek series. The story is set in the small town of Campbell Creek, North Carolina which lies in the shadow of Wilmington. It's a quiet close-knit community that hasn't had a murder in seventeen years. Until now.

Officer Will Harmon goes to investigate the skeleton that is found at the long defunct bread factory. His sister Jessica is the medical examiner and her examination of the remains leads to a conclus...more
Kayden Lee
When you think of small town American, you often think of simplicity, friendships, and loving people. In the small town of Campbell Creek, you will find each of these things, and so much more. After a dead body is discovered in an abandoned building, and the investigation is prematurely closed, a local police office proceeds to investigate the truth about the murder. With the help of his wife, who’s involvement is centered around investigating questionable development in the small town, and the...more
Amy Manemann
Author Wendy Young showed an intricate plot with her book Come The Shadows. I enjoyed this cozy mystery with it's whodunnit storyline that kept me wondering what was around the next corner. The characters were well written and relatable and you definitely got a feel for Southern hospitality. It also made me very hungry for pie :0) Overall a job well done, I'll be looking to see what Wendy Young turns out next.
Louisa J.
I enjoyed this book once it got going. As another reviewer mentioned, it takes a little while to get into -- I think Ms. Young could have jumped into the story a little quicker and then woven in more about the characters as she went. But as this book is the first in a series, she probably wanted to establish their personalities, etc...

As soon as the main character's wife entered the picture, the story really picked up. Great interplay and snappy dialogue! I got a little turned around in the myst...more
Jessica Buike
It's David fights Goliath in this mystery/thriller! Welcome to the sleepy town of Campbell Creek, North Carolina, who suddenly finds it in the spotlight for the discovery of bones in an old factory - and under major renovations from a mysterious development company, despite its lack of tourist attractions.

The characters are solid, and it was an interesting read! There were several editing errors, but it didn't take away from the flow of the story too much. It ended with a few cliff hangers that...more
Nike Chillemi
Officer Will Harmon is called out to a homicide at the abandoned bread factory in Campbell Creek, NC. When he gets to the scene (with Rookie cop Ricky Rogers along) he’s immediately challenged by Officer Michael Peterson, a very territorial colleague.

When the sheriff and mayor declare the death to be accidental one day before the medical examiner is due to make her report, Will knows something smells bad. The ME is Will’s sister and she tells him she’s being pressured to declare the death inconc...more
Norma Budden
Feb 19, 2012 Norma Budden rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of crime and suspense fiction
Recommended to Norma by: the author
Wendy L. Young has created a winner and I would encourage anyone who enjoys crime fiction to find relaxation, coupled with suspense, throughout the fabric of this story...where the shadows come - where the shadows linger long after the last page has been read.
Alexis Villery
When bones are discovered in an old factory, Officer Will Harmon is not content with the ME's finding that the bones are not the result of a murder. Meanwhile, a businessman has arrived in town determined to buy up local land at any cost. When Laura Harmon asks for explanations, she is met with closed doors and silence. Refusing to give up, Laura searches for answers.

I really didn't like this book. THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW! I didn't get answers to the things I wanted answers to and got...more
Peggy Holloway
I almost gave up on this book several times. It moved at a snail's pace, with long drawn out dialog and long descriptions of things. I found myself skimming in some parts. But, since I very rarely give up on any book, I continued through all 829 pages. The constant talk about the importance of pies if you're from the South was a bit overdone.

I liked the main characters and their relationships. The plot is interesting but a bit weak. It did have a few surprises which I like but the story could ha...more
Kim Justice
May 11, 2013 Kim Justice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: reviewed
I will start by saying that author Wendy L. Young is an amazing writer. Her style is a constant flow for the most part. Her characters are well written.

The only thing is that I had just some little trouble at first getting into the book.

To read more of my review:
Breath of Life
Gretchen
Wendy L. Young does it again. Knocks it right out of the ball park.

Under the surface of an idyllic little town lies deceit leading to murder. Officer Will Harmon disagrees with the medical examiner. He thinks the have a homicide and he's going to pursue it. His search for the truth ultimately pits himself and his wife against evil doers.
Marynelson321
I enjoyed it although l didn't feel it had the twist and suspense of other Thriller/Suspense authors.
Nina
a page turner, very good with a good storyline and lots of twists and turns
Keds
Keds marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Heather Bishop
Heather Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Heather Flaigg
Heather Flaigg marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Blaze049
Blaze049 marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Cj
Cj marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Renuka Vyavahare
Renuka Vyavahare marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Books 2 Read: Wendy L. Young 6 4 Oct 27, 2011 06:30PM
One Final Night Red Sky Warning Race the Sunset (The Campbell Creek Mysteries, #3) Race the Sunset (The Campbell Creek Mysteries, Book 3)