Start by marking “Away Team (Starship Cadet Missions, #1)” as Want to Read:
Away Team (Starship Cadet Missions, #1)

Away Team (Starship Cadet Missions #1)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ely Nguyen is a cadet fresh out of the Academy and wide-eyed with enthusiasm. But he’s also alone. Sure, his work as a trainee engineer takes up most of his time, but what about when he’s on R & R? He hasn’t had a boyfriend since he left Mars some three months back. No one to even buy a drink for in one of the many clubs and pubs scattered about the starship Mandrake h ...more
ebook, first, 100 pages
Published August 15th 2011 by eXtasy Books

To ask other readers questions about Away Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Away Team

SueM
Maybe Mark Alder's style is growing on me, maybe I'm simply finding more of what's been there all along, or maybe Mark's writing is simply improving.. I'm not sure but this is my favorite novel by Mark that I have read.

Cadet Ely is on his first deep space mission, when he finds a fellow cadet, Emerson, (who works in a different division) is gay, after catching him checking out another cadet's arse. Inviting him for a drink, they realize that they might be at the start of a relationship... Until
Tj
Jan 01, 2015 Tj rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Well, not as naked as most of Mark's books;) This was a fun read. Mark always takes you away from the ordinary. This time it's on a journey through space aboard the starship Mandrake. Journey into space and on the way meet Ely, a young cadet fresh out of the academy looking for love. The poor fella isn't very suave though when it comes to love. He meets and falls for Emerson. Emerson isn't a pretty boy but there is just something about him that does it for young Ely, unfortunately their first en ...more
Sylvia
Wonderful imaginative world building, an exciting adventure and a sweet, sexy love story. Young Ely gets put to the test over and over again and comes out a winner.
Absynthe
Chad
My first thought regarding how to sum up this novel was to describe it as a "scifi lite, erotica heavy" space opera. Away Team is most definitely a melodramatic romance (as in the literary genre of heroic adventure tales, although there is plenty of the other stuff too) set in space; hence, I think that the term space opera is a fitting label.

Upon reflection, though, I think that "scifi lite" is not really a fair description. The scifi concepts (like photosensitive, self-repairing [possibly livi
Pam
Despite being a typical journey into space story, battling an unknown alien race, it's also filled with bantering conversation, a growing relationship between Ely and Emerson that includes plenty of sizzling hot sex and some good friendships. The twists and turns regarding the aliens, the starships and how they got free from the aliens were all handled well and were done believably.

There are things I had problems with. Some of the phrases were repeated, others were too sweet or cheesy and others
M'rella
I hate to say that, but I am taking half a star off for editing. Some phrases kept popping up over and over and over again, pulling me out of the story.
Taking another half star away for too much sweetness. But it's my personal taste, has nothing to do with the book.
That said - 4 solid stars. I will definitely buy the sequel. Very nice and easy read. Loved all the characters, great set up for the story. There are not a lot of good sci-fi out there, unfortunately. "Away Team" almost made me wish
MiaJ
3* - I liked it. Sometimes three stars seem like a put down. I did like it, I just did not really like it. A bit too sweet at times (view spoiler) Too harsh? Maybe I was hoping for more after seeing the 5* reviews...
Cherie Noel
Aug 20, 2011 Cherie Noel marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read this one! It's at the very tippy-top of Mt. TBR...because Mark Alders writes stuff I love to read, and I can count on him every single time to put me to bed in a good mood, LOL!
Carole-Ann
Great fun in a geeky sorta way. Ely and Emerson two (reasonably) sweet characters who get together after a fairly major f**k-up to begin with. Clever bit of sci-fi engineering going on here too!!
Zach Sweets
Reviewed for Hearts on Fire Reviews

The review can be found here: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/?p=3439
Enny
The sci-fi parts of the story were great but I failed to see why the MCs were attracted towards each other - the great sex aside ;)
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Sean
Genre: M/M Sci Fi
Rated: 3 hearts

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
MandyM
Couldn't get into this one. I'll try it again in the future.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Wara
Wara added it
Jan 27, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Misha Hamu
Misha Hamu marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
LoriO.
LoriO. added it
Nov 05, 2014
Gary Jones
Gary Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Chris Van
Chris Van marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kritty
Kritty marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
texasmoocow
texasmoocow marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Fantasylover
Fantasylover marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I live in Melbourne, Victoria, in the land of Oz. According to my own Teenage mis-adventures, I am just an ordinary guy with a penis which likes to get me into trouble…a lot. I’ve seduced trees, copulated with watermelons, and had nice old ladies pick ants off my naked body. Yep, that’s me. Mark Alders. All round nice guy and with my brain firmly in my pants, exactly where it belongs!

So what about
More about Mark Alders...

Starship Cadet Missions (2 books)
  • First Contact (Starship Cadet Missions, #2)
The Nourisher (Border Worlds Saga, #1) The Soldier (Border Worlds Saga, #2) The Incubator (Border Worlds Saga, #3) The Mis-adventures of a Teenage Mark Shadows of the Mind (Pembroke Eve Chronicles, #1)