Start by marking “Hudson Taylor” as Want to Read:
Hudson Taylor

Hudson Taylor

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  2,689 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The inspiring story of one man's love for God and his unflinching commitment to present the Gospel of Christ to the Chinese.Previously published under the title To China With Love, this book recounts the thrilling story of Hudson Taylor and the eventual formation of the China Inland Mission.Hudson Taylor left England on September 19, 1853, and did not reach China until spr ...more
Published March 1st 1987 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 30th 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Hudson Taylor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hudson Taylor

Jeff McCormack
The power of prayer cannot be diminished by distance; it is not limited by age, infirmity, or daily duty; political changes and restrictions cannot alter its effectiveness; for the word still stands, "If ye shall ask anything in my name I will do it." The power of prayer in the life of an obedient Christian can only be undermined by neglect."
Thus is the ending of an amazing little autobiography of Hudson Taylor. So many times while reading this book, I could only sit and shake my head, wondering
Larisha
Apr 11, 2011 Larisha rated it it was amazing
Hudson Taylor's short autobiography should be required reading for Everyone who desires to serve God either through overseas missions, or in their own hometown. You will be inspired as you read of Taylor's humble heart and gracious service.

This is an excellent little book, easily read, but very powerful in the demonstration of how God provides for His children!!

One of Taylor's mottos was, "God's work, done God's way, will never lack God's supply." Our Father, God proved this time and again as HE
Stephanie
Feb 26, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
He was an amazing man, with an amazing faith in God's provision. The author tried to convey his struggles, but, perhaps due to the writing style, I left the book feeling like this man was a "spiritual giant." Someone who God used specially because he was special. Like I am not able to be used that way.

However, I also was reminded of some important truths.
-My devotional life, my personal connection to God, is incredibly important. If I don't guard it fiercely, it will be snatched away.
-Pray. P
Skylerandbrandy
Apr 18, 2012 Skylerandbrandy rated it it was ok
it was a little rough to get through, but i admire hudson taylor like CRAZY -
i recommend 'it is not death to die' by jim cromarty for an easier way to walk through hudson's life .....
Jonathan
Dec 20, 2016 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Incredible man and story, but often times tough to get through. There were sections of his writings that give such beautiful glimpses into what it means to practically trust God.
Jon
Hudson Taylor was a great man of prayer and of course full of missionary zeal. This book was a great encouragement to me, and will be to those really pursuing the discipline and joy of a bountiful, intimate, prayer life. This book is full of great little knowledge nuggets about prayer, money, missionary financing and one story in particular that presses hard the issue of a sense of urgency in being about the business of God and obeying the Great Commission. I have been advised, that if you want ...more
Rebecca
May 15, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I had to kick my brain into a higher gear to read this book since I mostly read children's books right now. It also took me longer with all the distractions, but I really enjoyed this book.

Great insight into missionary life. The struggles, prayers, support, and daily activities. I enjoyed the format of the book with his own journals and thoughts as well as the inputs from others at the beginning and end.
Nick Smith
Feb 08, 2013 Nick Smith rated it it was amazing
Any Christian who is serious about serving God on the mission field should read this. Taylor tried to serve under the authority and traditions of his local Church and finally, after living through depression because of his fruitless endeavours, started listen to the Holy Spirit. He started living as the Chinese, much to the embarrassment of his consrvative English friends, and God used him mightily.
Jeremiah
Mar 19, 2008 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Taylor pioneered many methods widely used these days and the story of his service in China is awesome-especially when you look at what God has done with the seeds planted before the Boxer Rebellion and the communist takeover. This is a short book but it is, obviously, an autobiography and tells of Taylor's life before he became a Christian and after (or as Hudson recalls what the older Christians of his day called conversion: "becoming serious"-a dour term indeed!).
J-T
May 11, 2008 J-T added it
Hudson Taylor thought God was calling him to a mission in China, and he thought that in China he would have to rely only on God and not on men. So, to train himself in this way of life, he moves to poorer quarters, almost starves himself, gives away his money, prays constantly, and goes to medical school. Wow.
Clay
Oct 06, 2011 Clay rated it really liked it
very good book and insightful with respect to a 30,000 ft. view of his life and ministry, with several specific stories sprinkled throughout. i wish it was longer and went into more detail, but i assume that is available in some of the biographies i have learned are available. the man was definitely used by God and his legacy and life are still making impacts in the world today.
Clifford Luebben
Dec 28, 2014 Clifford Luebben rated it really liked it
This was a very encouraging read. A vibrant relationship with God leaks through every page. There are lots of thoughts and stories that challenge us to action instead of apathy. As a small book with accessible language it was also a quick easy read.
Greg Bodwell
Oct 05, 2016 Greg Bodwell rated it liked it
My main disappointment with this book is that it only covers the time leading up to the start of China Inland Mission. I wish it had covered more. It was enjoyable and an easy read. His life is inspiring, but I think I would rather read Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret.
Nannette
Feb 23, 2014 Nannette rated it really liked it
This autobiography tells of Taylor's conversion and ultimate commitment to take the Gospel to China. Here is yet another man who gave up all worldly comforts to follow our Lord's command to go into all the world and proclaim the Gospel. Amazing man of faith! Loved the book.
deepreader
Oct 05, 2014 deepreader rated it liked it
I loved this book when I was a child. It was so adventurous. I had only ever known adventure through books and games played in my backyard. This was one of those books. Its effect lives with me still.
Daniel Hill
Dec 24, 2014 Daniel Hill rated it it was amazing
Absolute classic of the Christian biography genre and extremely inspiring story of am ordinary man used by God for extraordinary purposes. If you only read one biography of a Christian missionary don't miss this one. Can't recommend enough.
Wassenario
Oct 27, 2013 Wassenario rated it really liked it
I really like missionary biographies. I love to see the real genuineness of their relationship with God.
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Suzanne Wantland
Suzanne Wantland rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
Lydia Mohler
Lydia Mohler rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Rusty
Rusty rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2011
Joshua Brown
Joshua Brown rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
James
James rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2011
Anny Popovici
Anny Popovici rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Jessamay
Jessamay rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2011
Lynn Jeffers
Lynn Jeffers rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Victor Miller
Victor Miller rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson
  • A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • Lords of the Earth
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • Mimosa: A True Story
  • Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition
  • David Livingstone
  • Tortured for Christ
James Hudson Taylor was a British Protestant Christian missionary to China, and founder of the China Inland Mission (CIM) (now OMF International). Taylor spent 51 years in China. The society that he began was responsible for bringing over 800 missionaries to the country who began 125 schools and directly resulted in 18,000 Christian conversions, as well as the establishment of more than 300 statio ...more
More about James Hudson Taylor...