Start by marking “The Magicians of Night” as Want to Read:
The Magicians of Night

The Magicians of Night (Sun-Cross #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  11 reviews
After the death of his mentor, an apprentice wizard must fight to escape a world he doesn’t understand

When the wizard Jaldis heard the cry from beyond the Void, telling of a world where magic was dead and begging for his aid, he and his apprentice, Rhion, went to help. Crossing the Void takes all of their strength, and when Rhion awakes on the other side, he learns that t
Published March 29th 2011 by Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Magicians of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magicians of Night

Mely
Portal fantasy about a magician from another world helping an oppressed group in ours gain power. In this book, he crosses over -- and the reader discovers that the "oppressed group" are Nazis during the Holocaust.

This sounds like it could be catastrophically offensive, but it's not -- I think it tries to be respectful of the Holocaust and not just use it as background or plot grist. But while it's not offensive, it also just doesn't work as a book: it's trying to comment on the assumptions made
Anna
I am a devoted fan of Barbara Hambly. I have read many, many, many of the books she's written and I visit her web site often. :) This devoation is why it's always tough for me to admit when a novel isn't destined to be on my favorites list, like this one.

The prose is wonderful, as it always is from Ms. Hambly. She's a master wordsmith. However, for this novel, I felt the use of some characters was a little unbalanced (appearing, then disappearing, reappearing and then being critical to the story
Deidre
Ick, Nazis.
krin
When I read the description, I wondered whether this fantasy featuring a wizard in early Nazi Germany would be clichéd with cardboard characters. However, Hambly skillfully creates great interactions between the wizard Rhion, his Nazi captors and the people he rescues. The only quibble I have is that the plot set in Rhion's homeworld seemed tacked on and not resolved very well.
Joel Flank
A powerful conclusion to the Sun-Cross series, that puts our hero wizard from a fantasy world in the hands of the Occult Bureau in Nazi Germany. The brutality of that time and place take a toll on both him and the reader while he struggles to find a way home, thwarted by both the SS and Earth's almost non-existent magic.
Denise Eggleston
I enjoyed both books in this series. The second volume is a mix of magic and Nazis. The latter did research in the occult, but with noyhing to show for their effort. The author set up the ending in a way that leads to another book in the series. I'd read it if Hambly ever publishes one.
Jolene
I thought this was a great conclusion to this series. How can it not be exciting with wizards and Nazis?
Emma
I wish Hambly had written more in this series. I enjoyed it greatly.
Cℓinton Sheppard
WWII germany, moves along much better than book one.
Jonathan
Crossing fantasy magic with WWII doesn't really work
Helen
very powerful part 2
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Gene
Gene added it
Nov 29, 2014
Robin Brown
Robin Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
Oct 26, 2014
Angelof
Angelof marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • When the Changewinds Blow (Changewinds, #1)
  • Perseus Spur: An Adventure of The Rampart Worlds
  • Faery in Shadow
  • The Starfollowers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #2)
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
  • Blood and Sand
  • Lady of the Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #4)
  • Dragoncharm (The Ultimate Dragon Saga, #1)
  • The Dark Moon: The Guardian Cycle (The Guardian Cycle, #1)
  • Mythology 101
  • The Last Prince of Atlantis
  • The Variable Man and Other Stories
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)
  • Sisters in Fantasy 2
  • Wizard War
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)