Start by marking “Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life” as Want to Read:
Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life

Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life

Question:
* Do you feel shy and self-conscious in social situations?
* Are you plagued with self-doubts about how you come across to others?
* Do you feel physically sick with worry about certain situations that involve interacting with others?
* Do you make excuses, or even lie to avoid the social situations you dread?
* Do you make important decisions based on whether you'll
Published August 22nd 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 7th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Painfully Shy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painfully Shy

Maryann
Feb 05, 2010 Maryann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
For those of you suffering from SAD please pick up this book. I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s and I thought there was something so wrong with me. I never heard of anxiety disorders! There is a better understanding today of SAD then there was when I was young and I have been dealing with this forever. I am 40 now…please don’t wait that long to start exploring and finding a cure.

This was a great starter book for me. It helped me identify another anxiety order I have which is GAD. Now I have somethi
Carissa
Sep 14, 2015 Carissa rated it liked it
I must admit that I read the first half of this book years ago and just recently completed the second half. While I feel like I learned a lot and I always felt more motivated and hopeful while reading, I can't really say I felt like this book helped me, which is a huge bummer.

There were parts that I really liked. This book was well-written and one of the authors had experienced social anxiety first hand. I liked hearing about her struggles and what helped her. Another aspect I liked was that the
Jamie
Jun 16, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
When I bought this book I was really skeptical. I've read a couple other books on the subject and felt like they didn't really have anything worthwhile to offer. This book is completely different. The other reason I was skeptical was because it's about social anxiety and I wasn't sure I really fit that or not.
I loved this book. The begining of the book she describes what social anxiety is and has some tests to help you find the parts you struggle with most. While doing that and throughout the b
Kathryn
Dec 10, 2007 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I read this book very quickly because my supervisor recommended it for a client I was seeing who was dealing with social anxiety. Wanting to have a solid feel for it before I gave it to said client, I tore through it in a couple of days.

The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is that I want to wait to see how useful my client finds it. But I think it was very smart, down to earth, and useful. It certainly gave me a better sense of empathy for my client and a much better idea about how to a
Kitty
I really didn't go looking for this book - it just caught my eye at the library and I figured it was worth a look. Ultimately, I don't think it really "helped" me, but it did give me some food for thought. It's possible that I'm just not ready to be "cured". In fact, I'm not sure I've ever thought of my bashfulness as something that *could* be cured. This book has certainly given me a new perspective on "social anxiety disorder" - what it is, why some people suffer from it, how it can affect you ...more
Tracey
May 03, 2011 Tracey rated it did not like it
This book is about how to over come your social phobia. There are many steps to over come your phobia. I really don't have a phobia so i would not no what its like.
the reason why people would like this is that it helps with your problems and make you less shy in the open where the world is like a stage.
the people that hate this book dont have a phobia or its not the right help for them so they get fustrated by it so that means dont read it.
Tabitha
Jul 26, 2013 Tabitha rated it really liked it
There was definitely a lot that I felt like I could relate to in this book. Many concepts from this book may help ease my anxiety if I remember to instill them into my life. This book not only gave helpful advice, but allowed me to feel normal in the fact that I'm not alone. as well as that it offered plenty of interesting facts and information on social anxiety. I'm glad I took my psychiatrist's advice and read this book :-) -
Elyse
Jul 11, 2009 Elyse rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with Social Anxiety Disorder
I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder and have ever since I was little. Lately, it's become a huge roadblock in my life, preventing me from doing anything outside of the house. When I found this book at the library, I had to get it. I was desperate.

I can't say yet that it was completely worth the read, as I have not yet followed its advice. But it gave me a comforting feeling so I have high hopes that it will be helpful.
Libby
Sep 17, 2015 Libby rated it it was amazing
Great book...I wish I had read this in college when my SA made my life literally hell. I was a bit cautious about this book because I didn't know if it would be all obvious stuff I already know about Social Anxiety Disorder but, I learned a lot of new stuff that can hopefully help me. I highly recommend.
Nov 20, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf-of-wisdom
It is a very well written book and covered everything that I also learned in therapy. Alone reading this book helped to boost my motivation and my self-confidence by a lot. For someone who is into psychology, it was a very good read.
Mark
Sep 23, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mark by: Jessica Engle
This is a good resource for those with SA. The book describes the possible causes and symptoms of SA,
with many examples included. There is also a thorough discussion of treatments and ways of dealing
with SA, including CBT, spirituality, and medication.
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Michelle Koenighain
Michelle Koenighain rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Greg Ludwig
Greg Ludwig rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Ryan Permeh
Ryan Permeh rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Ruth Schrott
Ruth Schrott rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2009
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 21, 2011
Tanner Gerrans
Tanner Gerrans rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2017
Erik Reynolds
Erik Reynolds rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2012
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Garotok
Garotok rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2015
Jessica Haag
Jessica Haag rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2010
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2010
Sarah Noreiga
Sarah Noreiga rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • Don't Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks
  • Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors
  • Peoplemaking
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • Food Chaining: The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems and Expand Your Child's Diet
  • Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work