Start by marking “I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes” as Want to Read:
I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes

I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Cath Murphy, second-grade teacher, was feeling awkward and foolish, but she also felt this: quirky, cocky, small, funny, wicked and extremely blonde. As her mother liked to say, all meetings with new people, even locksmiths or seven-year-olds, can make you a little afraid. She was about to meet her new class and she had just met the new teacher: Warren Woodford.However, Ca ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes

Rebecca
This is possibly the most underacknowledged book of all time. I am bowled over by Moriarty’s creativity upon every reread. IHABMOBP is clever, sweet, and kind of awesomely weird. Despite its quirkiness (or maybe because of it), I actually found it to be filled with little moments and observations that felt like they were lifted directly from my own experiences. The dialogue feels very real; Moriarty has an amazing grasp on the bizarre rhythm of actual conversations. Unfortunately, I think you ha ...more
Savannah
I don't particularly like singling one book out of the masses and labeling it as my favourite. But, when I'm called upon to do so, I generally say this one. This is the book I most wish I had written myself. It is completely adorable and whimsical whilst still feeling very reflective of every day life. It is as if Moriarty has filtered ordinary events through a romantic, magical lense.
Amber
Sep 18, 2007 Amber rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy
One of the most oddly-written, weird books I've probably ever read. I thought it was going to be a type of family chick-lit book with a bit of magic thrown in, but it was just, like, what? Little made sense until the end, and even then it was still only an alright book. It really wasn't anything like what I expected it to be. And it was a long thing, too.
MamaFuerte
Very strange. Almost nonsensical. And utterly boring. Life is too short to read boring books.
Jennifer Coleman-Davidson
Sorta like children's lit. with a grown-up twist...a little weird. Took me awhile to get into it (I actually almost considered not continuing) but when you're stuck in a tiny apartment in Glasgow with crap tv you gotta do something! About half way it got interesting, enough to drive me to finish it. Heart-warming at times but generally just silly.
Isabelle
I must say, I'm pretty happy I'm finished with this book. I really did have a complicated relationship with this book, at first I hated it, later on I liked it, than I hated it even more, and lastly I'm just muh about it.

I get what Jaclyn in trying to accomplish. She's trying to make an ordinary life seem like a fantasy. We all know we don't live in a fantasy world even if we wish we did, but Jaclyn shows that it doesn't mater, all that matters is how you look at the world.

The story over all wa
Kimikimi
This book and "The Spell Book of Listen Taylor" cover the same events in different ways. It's a little confusing to say the least. I think this one might be the better retelling but since I read the other one a few years ago I could be wrong.
Jemma
Very quirky, very gripping and very enjoyable!!!
Monica
Fun, creative, adorable, and highly recommended.
Tina
Janelle
I stumbled upon I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes completely unintentionally at the Lifeline Bookfest a few weeks ago, noticed it was written by one of my favourite authors (Jaclyn Moriarty wrote The Year Of Secret Assignments and Feeling Sorry for Celia), and bought it immediately . The front page describes it as “a fairytale for grown-ups”. I’d never known Jaclyn Moriarty to write anything but young adult fiction. This was intriguing. I didn’t know quite what to expect from it, though I ...more
Shonna Froebel
This fascinating look at a family and its "secret" is set in Sydney, Australia. The Zing family is a busy one. Marbie has just moved in with her boyfriend, Vernon, and his younger sister, Listen. She is worried that everything is so wonderful that something must go wrong.Fancy, a writer of erotic fiction, lives with her husband Radcliffe and their exuberant seven-year old, Cassie. Fancy writes a lot of notes to Cassie's teacher, often unnecessarily.The family meets every Friday night at the home ...more
Susie Anderson
was expecting more from Moriarty who was a childhood fave of mine. this is so disappointingly surface level. of course masterful in weaving the plots together, but it is possible to do that with more depth than is used here. the women in this 'Zing' family were a quirky tropes and little more. as far as it being a fairytale for adults goes I have not been left with any moral or life advice, plus it was ubdoubtedy PG.
Jamie Scarborough
I picked this book up in a used bookstore in Tamarindo (Costa Rica) so I'd have something to read on my flight home to Denver. I wasn't expecting much from it except some easy reading to pass the time, but it turns out that I fell in love with this book! So fun to read and I even found a special note it its pages from another reader. The book itself gets 4 Stars but I added the 5th for the overall experience.
PS- Thank you for the much needed reminder, whoever you are.
Linda
I must confess I bought this for the cover. How great must it be if there is a hot air balloon on the cover! It turns out - not very. I only kept the book after reading it because of the cover!
The front say's fairytale for grown-ups. It would be better directed to YA, and at 420pages, I think some careful editing of some 150-200pages to remove the waffle, would have made this a far more enjoyable read.
Victoria
I've been disappointed by the past couple of books that I've read by Moriarty. The characters seem less likeable, the plots less engaging (though no less fabulous and strange!) and the structure has really been grating on me.

Structure: I'm not a fan of this style, where 2-3 chapters tell the events of the same period of weeks/months from varying character perspectives. There's little overlap in the events, but just enough to occasionally drop hints and make important connections. But it's damn c
Lizzie
I love Jaclyn Moriarty but I found this book hard to get into. Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I started this book because it took longer to read than I would have liked (I started it last year). It was one of those books with very vivid characters though, I thought about them when I wasn't reading and wondered what they got up to.
Jane Relyea
An unusual book that soon had my attention when locations around Castle Hill, Round Corner and Baulkham Hills came up. Certainly not used to that and it threw me the first few times. Nice to have something local! While not the best book I've read, it was certainly an enjoyable easy read and a book I would pass onto friends.
Alysa Routtenberg
All around one of the strangest books I've read. Moriarty has a unique style that is quite her own, and it takes a while to grow on you. The plot line was confusing, and only occasionally interesting. While it all wrapped up satisfactorily it wasn't enough to change my feelings about the book, and I found myself racing to finish it just to be done.
Angela
Silly, couldn't really say I enjoyed it. The characters were superficial, the plot was inane and it wasn't even funny. The binding thread seemed to be the family's extramarital affairs....but to what end?
Rebekah Nicholas
I did not finish this book, life is too short to spend time trying to understand why. Such novels may get a look in during my retirement, but this is a little to whimsical and fluffy for my life right now.
Kristy
A story about the Zings and how they have much in common without knowing it. I loved how this book would follow the storyline of Cath, Fancy and Marbie. It kept it interesting and the story would always keep flowing and I would always be keen to keep reading to see what happened to each character. My favorite character was Listen. She was very believable that I felt like I completely understood where she was coming from. The only thing I was disappointed about was the theme that was chosen, adul ...more
Emma
Okay, this was weird. It supposed to be a "fairy tale for grown-ups" and I guess it's a pretty accurate description.

It took me quite a while to understand where we going and I can't say I enjoyed reading this tremendously... I wasn't bored either, I was just waiting for it to be over.

The ending was pretty nice, though... very surprising, I hadn't seen it coming at all and it wrapped everything up quite well, without being the kind of ridiculous super happy endings I hate.

I'm glad I've read this
Marce
It was an enjoyable read and managed to keep my attention through out the entire book. I found the constant switch between characters a little annoying, especially because Moriarty likes to create little cliff hangers all over the place so just as one character got really interesting she would switch to the next character.

The reference to hot air balloons and the story about the inventor was a bit tedious and did not really fit in with the story as smoothly as it probably should.

This book was ea
Dee Jackson
I pure, unadulterated joy to read!
Jocelyn
Just unadulterated silliness
Fiona
I really like this book - even upon rereading it is just as funny and whimsical as the first time around.
In spoiler territory, on rereading, the obsession with affairs becomes even more obvious - why is everyone always having or considering affairs? It seems like a common Moriarty sister plot device.
Sharon Malcolm
Reading this book, I really had no idea where it was going or how all the little threads would eventually be joined. How refreshing! So very quirky, with touches of magical realism. I must admit to feeling ever so slightly let down by such an anticlimactic ending... thought there would be some fireworks and really there wasn't. But overall, quirkily lovely.
Narelle Connell
This book is super quirky and clever, with a VERY wacky central premise. Parts of it broke my heart but I loved it nonetheless, and it's one of the few books I've read that made me laugh out loud. If you want a little slice of Australian suburbia with a twist in the tale I highly recommend this book.
  • The Girl Most Likely
  • Matilda Is Missing
  • The Table of Less Valued Knights
  • Circus
  • He Forgot to Say Goodbye
Jaclyn Moriarty is an Australian writer of young adult literature.

She studied English at the University of Sydney, and law at Yale University and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where she was awarded a PhD.

She is the younger sister of Liane Moriarty. She was previously married to Canadian writer Colin McAdam, and has a son, Charlie. She currently lives in Sydney.
More about Jaclyn Moriarty...
The Year of Secret Assignments (Ashbury/Brookfield, #2) Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield, #1) The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie (Ashbury/Brookfield, #3) The Ghosts of Ashbury High (Ashbury/Brookfield, #4) A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine, #1)