Start by marking “I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes” as Want to Read:
I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes

I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes

Cath Murphy, second-grade teacher, was feeling awkward and foolish, but she also felt this: quirky, cocky, small, funny, wicked and extremely blonde. As her mother liked to say, all meetings with new people, even locksmiths or seven-year-olds, can make you a little afraid. She was about to meet her new class and she had just met the new teacher: Warren Woodford.However, Ca ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes

Rebecca
May 20, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the most underacknowledged book of all time. I am bowled over by Moriarty’s creativity upon every reread. IHABMOBP is clever, sweet, and kind of awesomely weird. Despite its quirkiness (or maybe because of it), I actually found it to be filled with little moments and observations that felt like they were lifted directly from my own experiences. The dialogue feels very real; Moriarty has an amazing grasp on the bizarre rhythm of actual conversations. Unfortunately, I think you ha ...more
Savannah
Dec 03, 2009 Savannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
I don't particularly like singling one book out of the masses and labeling it as my favourite. But, when I'm called upon to do so, I generally say this one. This is the book I most wish I had written myself. It is completely adorable and whimsical whilst still feeling very reflective of every day life. It is as if Moriarty has filtered ordinary events through a romantic, magical lense.
Amber
Sep 18, 2007 Amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy
One of the most oddly-written, weird books I've probably ever read. I thought it was going to be a type of family chick-lit book with a bit of magic thrown in, but it was just, like, what? Little made sense until the end, and even then it was still only an alright book. It really wasn't anything like what I expected it to be. And it was a long thing, too.
Jennifer Coleman-Davidson
Sorta like children's lit. with a grown-up twist...a little weird. Took me awhile to get into it (I actually almost considered not continuing) but when you're stuck in a tiny apartment in Glasgow with crap tv you gotta do something! About half way it got interesting, enough to drive me to finish it. Heart-warming at times but generally just silly.
Kimikimi
This book and "The Spell Book of Listen Taylor" cover the same events in different ways. It's a little confusing to say the least. I think this one might be the better retelling but since I read the other one a few years ago I could be wrong.
Jemma
Jul 12, 2007 Jemma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very quirky, very gripping and very enjoyable!!!
Monica
Oct 19, 2007 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, creative, adorable, and highly recommended.
Tien
This was another cover crush for me… I just couldn’t resist hot air balloon on cover, for some reason, and since I loved Jaclyn Moriarty’s The Colours of Madelaine series, I had certain expectations of this book.

As always, there are good reviews and bad though they all agreed that the writing is quirky. The Colours of Madelaine books were quirky and I loved it though I found it hard to sell to my book-club mates (most of them think she tried too hard) so I don’t have an issue with quirkiness. I
Tina
Jul 14, 2015 Tina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Janelle
Mar 04, 2011 Janelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I stumbled upon I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes completely unintentionally at the Lifeline Bookfest a few weeks ago, noticed it was written by one of my favourite authors (Jaclyn Moriarty wrote The Year Of Secret Assignments and Feeling Sorry for Celia), and bought it immediately . The front page describes it as “a fairytale for grown-ups”. I’d never known Jaclyn Moriarty to write anything but young adult fiction. This was intriguing. I didn’t know quite what to expect from it, though I ...more
Shonna Froebel
Nov 19, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fascinating look at a family and its "secret" is set in Sydney, Australia. The Zing family is a busy one. Marbie has just moved in with her boyfriend, Vernon, and his younger sister, Listen. She is worried that everything is so wonderful that something must go wrong.Fancy, a writer of erotic fiction, lives with her husband Radcliffe and their exuberant seven-year old, Cassie. Fancy writes a lot of notes to Cassie's teacher, often unnecessarily.The family meets every Friday night at the home ...more
Susie Anderson
Mar 31, 2015 Susie Anderson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
was expecting more from Moriarty who was a childhood fave of mine. this is so disappointingly surface level. of course masterful in weaving the plots together, but it is possible to do that with more depth than is used here. the women in this 'Zing' family were a quirky tropes and little more. as far as it being a fairytale for adults goes I have not been left with any moral or life advice, plus it was ubdoubtedy PG.
Jamie Scarborough
I picked this book up in a used bookstore in Tamarindo (Costa Rica) so I'd have something to read on my flight home to Denver. I wasn't expecting much from it except some easy reading to pass the time, but it turns out that I fell in love with this book! So fun to read and I even found a special note it its pages from another reader. The book itself gets 4 Stars but I added the 5th for the overall experience.
PS- Thank you for the much needed reminder, whoever you are.
LillyAnn
Feb 12, 2015 LillyAnn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love
I must confess I bought this for the cover. How great must it be if there is a hot air balloon on the cover! It turns out - not very. I only kept the book after reading it because of the cover!
The front say's fairytale for grown-ups. It would be better directed to YA, and at 420pages, I think some careful editing of some 150-200pages to remove the waffle, would have made this a far more enjoyable read.
Victoria
I've been disappointed by the past couple of books that I've read by Moriarty. The characters seem less likeable, the plots less engaging (though no less fabulous and strange!) and the structure has really been grating on me.

Structure: I'm not a fan of this style, where 2-3 chapters tell the events of the same period of weeks/months from varying character perspectives. There's little overlap in the events, but just enough to occasionally drop hints and make important connections. But it's damn c
Lizzie
Apr 15, 2015 Lizzie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jaclyn Moriarty but I found this book hard to get into. Perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I started this book because it took longer to read than I would have liked (I started it last year). It was one of those books with very vivid characters though, I thought about them when I wasn't reading and wondered what they got up to.
Jane
Dec 29, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unusual book that soon had my attention when locations around Castle Hill, Round Corner and Baulkham Hills came up. Certainly not used to that and it threw me the first few times. Nice to have something local! While not the best book I've read, it was certainly an enjoyable easy read and a book I would pass onto friends.
Lola
Jul 02, 2016 Lola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touched on themes that I don't often read about. Very climactic and satisfying as with all of her stories, though some minor plot lines/problems are solved a bit too simply. I love how complex Moriarty's characters are- she even makes me want to read more about characters that were mentioned in maybe 2 pages.
Alysa Routtenberg
All around one of the strangest books I've read. Moriarty has a unique style that is quite her own, and it takes a while to grow on you. The plot line was confusing, and only occasionally interesting. While it all wrapped up satisfactorily it wasn't enough to change my feelings about the book, and I found myself racing to finish it just to be done.
Sarah Seabrook
Hmmm. There's a reason for the mixed reviews. I almost gave up. A few too many affairs and superstitions, and why can't there be one relationship that's normal? But there was enough fun fluff and loose ends to persue to the end. It's my first Jaclyn Moriarty. About to read Feeling Sorry for Celia so I'll see if that's more my cup of tea.
Angela
Sep 24, 2014 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Silly, couldn't really say I enjoyed it. The characters were superficial, the plot was inane and it wasn't even funny. The binding thread seemed to be the family's extramarital affairs....but to what end?
Rebekah Nicholas
Jul 17, 2015 Rebekah Nicholas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book, life is too short to spend time trying to understand why. Such novels may get a look in during my retirement, but this is a little to whimsical and fluffy for my life right now.
Kristy
Jul 25, 2011 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
A story about the Zings and how they have much in common without knowing it. I loved how this book would follow the storyline of Cath, Fancy and Marbie. It kept it interesting and the story would always keep flowing and I would always be keen to keep reading to see what happened to each character. My favorite character was Listen. She was very believable that I felt like I completely understood where she was coming from. The only thing I was disappointed about was the theme that was chosen, adul ...more
Emma
Oct 12, 2012 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia
Okay, this was weird. It supposed to be a "fairy tale for grown-ups" and I guess it's a pretty accurate description.

It took me quite a while to understand where we going and I can't say I enjoyed reading this tremendously... I wasn't bored either, I was just waiting for it to be over.

The ending was pretty nice, though... very surprising, I hadn't seen it coming at all and it wrapped everything up quite well, without being the kind of ridiculous super happy endings I hate.

I'm glad I've read this
Marce
Nov 23, 2009 Marce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an enjoyable read and managed to keep my attention through out the entire book. I found the constant switch between characters a little annoying, especially because Moriarty likes to create little cliff hangers all over the place so just as one character got really interesting she would switch to the next character.

The reference to hot air balloons and the story about the inventor was a bit tedious and did not really fit in with the story as smoothly as it probably should.

This book was ea
Cambria
May 26, 2016 Cambria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped before I could finish this one. It is sweet but it is just not my cup of tea. :)
Trena
Dec 04, 2015 Trena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quirky filled with lovable odd little characters.
Dee Jackson
May 31, 2014 Dee Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I pure, unadulterated joy to read!
Johanna Rooy
I enjoyed reading this more than I anticipated. The writing flowed and the story grew. It was fanciful and yet suspenseful. Loved it
  • The World Beneath
  • The Girl Most Likely
  • Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life
  • Take My Word for It (So Much to Tell You, #2)
  • Cherry and Olive
  • Silent Night: Christmas Mysteries (British Library Crime Classics)
  • I Came to Say Goodbye
  • The Complete Brambly Hedge
  • Lessons in Letting Go: Confessions of a Hoarder
  • 37
  • Mr Chen's Emporium
Jaclyn Moriarty is an Australian writer of young adult literature.

She studied English at the University of Sydney, and law at Yale University and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where she was awarded a PhD.

She is the younger sister of Liane Moriarty. She was previously married to Canadian writer Colin McAdam, and has a son, Charlie. She currently lives in Sydney.
More about Jaclyn Moriarty...