Start by marking “The Mountain That Loved a Bird” as Want to Read:
The Mountain That Loved a Bird

The Mountain That Loved a Bird

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Eric Carle's signature collages illustrate this vibrant original fable. A mountain standing alone in the middle of a desert plain asks a small bird named Joy to stay when she stops to rest. Joy promises that she and her descendants will return each spring, and over time, they transform the mountain into the perfect home.
Published August 20th 1991 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Mountain That Loved a Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountain That Loved a Bird

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
Gifted Young Readers
103rd out of 251 books — 37 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Mixed-Up Chameleon by Eric CarleThe Greedy Python by Richard Buckley
Best of Eric Carle
6th out of 92 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Beautiful story about a barren, lonely mountain who is visited by a bird once a year. The story explains how, over time, a bare mountain becomes seeded with plant life and then animal life. This story would be a nice intro to a study of Mount St. Helens, which was devoid of life after the 1980 eruption, or the island of Surtsey, which rose as a volcano and then became an island, devoid of life. Both Mt. St. Helens and Surtsey now have life, which arrived just as this story described. Lovely book ...more
While not specifically pagan, I found the book with its profound message and natural landscape to be a perfect addition to my son's spiritual library. On the surface, it is the story of a bird whose yearly visits cheer a lonely, lifeless rock of a mountain and the slow and subtle changes that allow that mountain to become a suitable home and haven for more than just that bird.

Underneath, however, are powerful lessons of love and hope, determination and stamina, friendship and charity.

I think t
Quite possibly one of the most beautiful and touching children's stories I have ever read. Like Antoine de Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince", this is a simple story that can be appreciated by both children and adults. It has the atmosphere of a folk tale, and children will love the repetition. It can also be read metaphorically as a tale of death, friendship, love, and rebirth. If the story isn't enough, there are the lovely illustrations by the incomparable Eric Carle that perfectly complemen ...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 24, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Ok, It’s a good thing I read this by myself first, and that there were no kids around, because I was teary eyed all the way through it.

The story is very lovely, and it’s interesting for adults as well as for beginning readers. The illustrations by Eric Carle seemed more sophisticated than most in other children’s books; I really liked them a lot.
This gentle, beautiful book touches my heart and very soul. It is a story of caring and love between two very different types of characters. One is a stunning little bird and the other a barren, very lonely mountain that wants the bird to stay and take up residence there.

" I am Joy, and I have come to greet you." She stops by one day to visit the mountain and she explains that she is looking to build a nest and establish a home for her baby birds. The mountain does not have water or trees and al
Kelli Ryne
This book is a beautiful narrative about two things that seem at first to be completely incompatible. It's told in the traditional "folktale" fashion and explains how things came to be the way they are. That being said, it also teaches the need for sacrifice, cooperation and understanding. I would use this when teaching folktales, as I believe they are an integral part of ancient cultures and their understanding of the world around them. It could be compared to other myths and folktales in addit ...more
This was an interesting twist for me the mountain is being personified and usually when I think of personification it’s with animals. The mountain has feelings of being sad and loving the bird. It wants the bird to stay. The bird then begins to bring seeds to the mountain as it is weeping and trees and plants begin to grow on it. The book ends with the mountain getting its wish that Joy the bird can stay. The mountain which is an inanimate object was built up as the secondary character of the st ...more
Melissa Smith
Listening to my little boy read this brought tears to my eyes.
This moved me to misty-eyed love. Highly recommend!
"I am Joy, and I have come to greet you."
Absolutely amazing book. It's a children's book, but as an adult, I find it to be an extremely moving parable about pure love and opening oneself up to feelings. The illustrations by Eric Carle are a joyful enhancement to this already, remarkable book.

This book will make you cry!

Judy Lindow
This is a beautifully told story with well matched illustrations of Eric Carle. It's one of those rare books that older, 4-5th graders can appreciate as well as the little ones. Like a Shel Silverstein book, where you're ready to hear different messages, or want to rehear important messages, as you mature.
Oct 21, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: picture-books
Like the title says, this is a beautiful story about a cold, bare mountain who falls in love with a bird who happens to stop on it while migrating. Since the mountain has no water or vegetation, the bird cannot stay, but promises to return each year. The story is spellbinding to young children.
This is one of the best children's books I've ever read! I love nature and birds, so that is probably one of the reasons I am so enamored with it. I read it to my 7 year old son and it was very sweet how concerned he was for the mountain's happiness. He had a big smile at the end, and so did I.
Jessica Marie
Not your typical Children's book. It is a a story book that would most probably have more impact on adults. This book depicts of how pure love transcends through time. To add Eric Carle's superb and unique illustration, this book is a very good addition to anyone's bookshelf.
Deborah Harris
Dec 28, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a24, ar-4
AR Quiz No. 44054 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
What a great kid's book. I love the illustrations, and the story is a neat view of landscapes changing over time. Wish it was still in print, seems to be out of print as it is only available used online, for a pretty high price.
Skylar Burris
A symbolically rich tale. I doubt my daughter grasped the meaning of Joy coming to stay, but she seemed to enjoy the story, and it gave me, as an adult, more to munch on than a typical children's book.
More than just a simple chilren's book, this is a touching short story of love.
Every time I read it to my children I feel how powerful this story is.
What an extraordinary book--for children and adults alike. Love, grief, life, death--this one has it all in its slim volume.
A little long to do as a read aloud but a cute book about a mountain who falls in love with Joy the bird
Rebecca & Brian
Amazing book! Sits next to "The Giving Tree" on our shelf. A must read for children and adults.
Quite possibly my favorite children's book of all time. It brings tears to my eyes.
Pat Tucker
This is a cute and meaningful book, not just for children but adults also.
A story about persistence, relationship and hope.
Pictures by Eric Carle. Story of compassion and growth.
Lisa Jenk
Have your Kleenex handy!
Will marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Kaylight marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
denehy 1 1 Sep 03, 2013 09:44PM
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting
  • Pancakes, Pancakes!
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Zen Ties
  • If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet
  • Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Books)
  • The Greedy Python
  • A Grand Old Tree
  • Rocks in His Head
  • If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking the Secrets of Stonehenge
  • When the Wind Stops
Roxaboxen The Ghost Dance Dragonfly The Legacy of Roxaboxen: A Collection of Voices Dreamsong