All Shook Up

All Shook Up (Baby #4)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,829 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A Man With a Past

J.D. Carver learned life's tough lessons on the streets, so when an unexpected inheritance sends him to the Star Lake Lodge to claim his half, he's expecting trouble. Being greeted with open arms by the whole Lawrence gang—feisty Aunt Sophy and calm Uncle Ben, clearly off-limits Dru and her young son, Tate—just convinces him they're working an angle, and h...more
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published October 29th 2013 by Avon (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about All Shook Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Shook Up

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Romances
205th out of 575 books — 267 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
Have You Read This Chick-lit?
220th out of 673 books — 636 voters

More lists with this book...

ElaineY
I need these feel-good romances in-between my darker romantic suspenses and MM books and All Shook Up did not disappoint. The storyline was simple and uncluttered and the characters appealing. The suspense was added towards the end and only to support the romance.

It wasn't one of those mind-blowing romances but I was happy and satisfied. Enough to make me dig out Andersen's Scandalous which had been languishing somewhere on my TBR shelf.
Isis FG
P.Z.
(view spoiler)...more
Morgan
The dialogue in this book had me howling and gnashing my teeth with envy. I want to write like this when I grow up! The sparks between the hero and heroine are truly invigorating. I flew through this book because I couldn't stand to put it down.
Jan
I love a simple romance once in awhile and that is what you get with this book. Enjoyed it even more because it incorporated one of the main characters child. Not all romance has to be for the young and carefree.
Mancho283
อ่านแล้วชอบเรื่องนี้อ่ะ >_< ชอบที่พระเอกนางเอกชอบเถียงกันน่ารักดี แล้วลูกนางเอกก็น่ารักด้วย คือไม่รู้ทำไมพล็อตมันก็ไม่ได้มีอะไรมาก อย่างประเด็นคนที่จ้องจะทำร้ายพระเอกเนี้ยในเรื่องไม่ได้มีอะไรเลย ไม่เน้นอะไรเลยมามีบทบาทจริงๆตอนท้ายเรื่องแต่เราก็ไม่ได้สนใจประเด็นนั้น ชอบเรื่องของพระ-นางอย่างเดียวเลยจริงๆ สนุกดีอ่ะ
Jessica
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were fun and the friction was well done, to the point that I was wanting to jump in there and smack some of those people up-side their heads. There were some character psychology moments that were a bit typical and obvious, but I like how the author worked it all out. She somehow made me not care that the character's issues have been done before because she made them unique to the lead characters. I also liked the side story with the main male character...more
Tina
I love Susan Andersens writing style, it just seems to flow perfectly for me. Which is probably the biggest saving grace in this book. I also liked the romance between Char and Kev (even though it was only hinted at). The dialogue between J.D. and Dru was enjoyable.

But it was difficult to get into the book, and then once in, hard to stay focused and care. It was kind of boring. And the characters weren’t all that memorable. J.D. struck me as anti-social, paranoid, distrustful, ungrateful and ins...more
Katie Brogdon
This book, to be honest, is just 100% hot hot hot. Though it is filled with skyrocketing deliciousness, it does have a message behind it. We all have a past, but that doesn't mean that we are unworthy of love. I adore this book and revisit it often.
Jade
This is the J.D. in my head, but maybe buffer:

description

I read this while ago but I remember that this book just hit all the right notes for me. The way the hero didn't suddenly become a better man, he was already a decent one. The way the heroine is so protective of her son and has a good relationship with her parent (who have a good relationship). And the little boy-OMG his character is still me heart-haha. It has HEAT, anger, great dialogue, a take-charge man (who is still a gentleman), and a great se...more
Marianne
I needed a light fluffy romance to read after the last book.
This fit the bill.
Funny, romantic, and in short bursts, scary.
Brenda
This was such a sweet book! It had just the right amount of heat and suspense. Lots of good laughs, too! Very well done!
Anica
I dunno how to describe it but Susan Andersen books and myself don't get along well. It is not that I hate them but somehow they just turn out to be so boring and stupid. And this one is no exception. Sadly. Both, hero and heorine, bugged me so much with their behaviour against each other. Their actions didn't really made sense and I hate something like that. Plus, weird and boring plots which don't really have to be there, just to fill out more sites is NOT good.
Now I am really wondering if I s...more
Lori
I liked the premise of this book, however, the angst going on the hero was pretty overwhelming. I have a hard time with repetitiveness in describing what his past was like. It offends me a little as a reader to think that the writer needed to get her point across more than once. I GET IT! Or is it that Anderson thought she didn't describe it well enough the first 3 times? I will probably put this on my reread list for another year, though. The tertiary characters were awesome!

Caro
I really liked this book. It covered all the emotions and was written well so that they were all felt. I liked how J.D. learned he'd been wrong and decided to go for it. I liked the last part of the book, it was a good suspense scene and really kept the pages turning. I also liked how Dru decided to go all out and take a risk on love. The most touching moment was in the end with Tate and J.D.. I would definitely read this book again and this one is staying on my shelf at home. Enjoy
Shannon C.
I read Anderson's recent release Burning Up and really enjoyed it. It was a good romantic comedy that reminded me in style to books from SEP, Julie James, Rachel Gibson, etc.

I've tried two of her books since then, and neither lived up to Burning Up. So I guess she is hit or miss for me as an author. I didn't care for the hero in All Shook Up. He wasn't someone I was interested in reading about. I also found the dialogue just so so in parts.
Lyndi
Dru is a 28 year old woman. She has a 10 year old son. She is the general manager of an alpine resort, which implies she's not dumb as a brick. Yet she acts like a 7th grader. Worry not, J.D. is just as bad: being rude, mistrustful (that doesn't even sound like a real word), and overly harsh towards the people who have so far shown him nothing but kindness.

Uhm no, I don't want to read a book about two miserably rude and immature people. DNF.
LaFleurBleue
Good reading. All characters, especially secondary ones, are very likable. However a little something is missing, mainly to the main heroes who look less elaborated and likable than the other ones.
Moreover I sometimes got the impression this book had already been written and read, as some sections reminded me of many others.
I was a little disappointed (though this book remains way better than the previous one Baby don't go).
Julie Willson
Cheesy typical romance from 2001 that seems so outdated. Found the whole "things are great, but I just don't deserve to be happy" bit, which was repeated about a dozen times, immensely frustrating. And why the heck would you name a main character DRUCILLA? Sounds like one of Cinderella's evil stepsisters. Not enough sex, and when they finally got there, they talked and emoted thru the whole thing. Bleck
Jenny Rebecca
I read this book years ago but remember being biased about it as it has the annoying child backstory. Not a lover a children in my romance novels. I've had it for years but I always skip over it for that reason. Today, I piced it up and I have to say I'm enjoying it. Children and all...I finished it, I lost interest after a bit, but it was always cute.
Joyce
Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down, had to get through it and find out what happened. Lots of fun and surprises, anger, laughter, love and suspense even though we all know how the stories end it is the adventure of getting there. Anderson does a great job of captivating her readers. Had to finish it before I could go to sleep.
Sara
The classic story of a troubled guy with a rough start making good through the love of a good woman. In this case, the loving woman turned out to be a former foster parent who left him part ownership of a resort. Thanks to her gift, he's able to make a new start after making his old life miserable. Oh, and he finds love, of course.
Hero inherited part ownership in a resort. Hero is ready to start over and meets the heroine. She is a single Mom living and working at the resort with her Aunt and Uncle and son. I thought the couple were cute, their issues believable and the hero's growth fun to read. A good read!
Carol
This was a quick pleasant read with a bit of mystery and some humor, but mostly a book about two people taking a second chance on relationships. This was the first book I have read by this author, but I will certainly read more of her books.
Katie
This is a re-read for me. I remembered liking it the first time. It has a lot of sexual tension and build up that keeps you interested. Still liked it...even the second time through...
Taryn Clegg
I wanted something fun to read while in between "projects" while remodeling our master bathroom. This book fit the bill perfectly. It was funny, light and enjoyable to read.
Tanya
I Loved It!!!!!
So entertaining, I couldn't read it fast enough.
Very good and romantic
but funny hilarious
Jessica
Humorous romance. If you like this type of romance for escapism or just because you enjoy it, try out Susan Anderson.
Dana
A typical SA novel, easy read, enjoyable characters, fun dialogue. An Own and re-read for me, I give it 3 stars.
Gamatst
I liked this book, the setting reminded me of where I live. A tourist town built around a beautiful lake.

• Do Not Disturb
  • Wife for a Day
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • Baby, Oh Baby!
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • Just a Hint - Clint (Visitation, North Carolina, #4)
  • Footloose (Bellagio, #3)
  • Chasing Stanley (New York Blades, #5)
  • Be My Baby Tonight (The Trehan Brothers, #2)
  • Lucky Streak (Lucky Trilogy, #2)
  • How to Trap a Tycoon
I grew up in a household with two brothers, a daddy, and my grandfather. Too many men, in other words. They diluted M'ma's influence by diverting my attention to things like the danger of answering nature's call in the dead of the night. I've got a hint for those of you raised in a less spit-and-scratch world: check before you sit, because chances are that seat is gonna be up. And they don't even...more
More about Susan Andersen...
Playing Dirty (Sisterhood Diaries, #3) Baby, I'm Yours (Baby, #1) Burning Up Cutting Loose (Sisterhood Diaries, #1) Bending the Rules (Sisterhood Diaries, #2)