Start by marking “All Shook Up” as Want to Read:
All Shook Up

All Shook Up

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  2,412 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
A Man With a Past

J.D. Carver learned life's tough lessons on the streets, so when an unexpected inheritance sends him to the Star Lake Lodge to claim his half, he's expecting trouble. Being greeted with open arms by the whole Lawrence gang--feisty Aunt Sophy and calm Uncle Ben, clearly off-limits Dru and her young son, Tate--just convinces him they're working an angle, and
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published October 29th 2013 by Avon (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about All Shook Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Shook Up

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
Have You Read This Chick-lit?
246th out of 870 books — 918 voters
The Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberThe Home Court Advantage by N.M. SilberLegal Briefs by N.M. SilberThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberBet Me by Jennifer Crusie
romantic comedies
59th out of 175 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

I need these feel-good romances in-between my darker romantic suspenses and MM books and All Shook Up did not disappoint. The storyline was simple and uncluttered and the characters appealing. The suspense was added towards the end and only to support the romance.

It wasn't one of those mind-blowing romances but I was happy and satisfied. Enough to make me dig out Andersen's Scandalous which had been languishing somewhere on my TBR shelf.
May 29, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
After J.D. Carver informs the police that his boss at the construction site is using inferior material, the company closes and the owner goes to jail. Everyone blames J.D. for losing their jobs, but he couldn't stand to see people hurt if the building collapsed. An unexpected inheritance gets J.D. out of town. He is now the part-owner of the Star Lake Lodge. Expecting the Lawrence family to be upset that an outsider now owns part of their enterprise, J.D. is suspicious when he is welcomed with o ...more
Aug 16, 2014 P rated it really liked it
(view spoiler) ...more
Feb 22, 2009 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-a-b-c
The dialogue in this book had me howling and gnashing my teeth with envy. I want to write like this when I grow up! The sparks between the hero and heroine are truly invigorating. I flew through this book because I couldn't stand to put it down.
May 21, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
I love a simple romance once in awhile and that is what you get with this book. Enjoyed it even more because it incorporated one of the main characters child. Not all romance has to be for the young and carefree.
Apr 10, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were fun and the friction was well done, to the point that I was wanting to jump in there and smack some of those people up-side their heads. There were some character psychology moments that were a bit typical and obvious, but I like how the author worked it all out. She somehow made me not care that the character's issues have been done before because she made them unique to the lead characters. I also liked the side story with the main male character ...more
Apr 08, 2014 Mancho283 rated it really liked it
อานแลวชอบเรืองนีอะ >_< ชอบทีพระเอกนางเอกชอบเถียงกันนารักดี แลวลูกนางเอกกนารักดวย คือไมรูทำไมพลอตมันกไมไดมีอะไรมาก อยางประเดนคนทีจองจะทำรายพระเอกเนียในเรืองไมไดมีอะไรเลย ไมเนนอะไรเลยมามีบทบาทจริงๆตอนทายเรืองแตเรากไมไดสนใจประเดนนัน ชอบเรืองของพระ-นางอยางเดียวเลยจริงๆ สนุกดีอะ ...more
Feb 15, 2016 Christine rated it did not like it
I don't know what to think about this series. I enjoyed the first book but hated the second and third. I gave myself a goal to finish the fourth completely, because surely I can't be the only one who dislikes these books? They have decent enough ratings. Either my expectations are too high or others expectations are too low.

In this case, the characters were unlikable. I'm all for moody males and drama, but this was over the top. I don't consider being angry and rude to each other to be chemistry
Oct 03, 2016 Tina rated it liked it
I love Susan Andersens writing style, it just seems to flow perfectly for me. Which is probably the biggest saving grace in this book. I also liked the romance between Char and Kev (even though it was only hinted at). The dialogue between J.D. and Dru was enjoyable.

But it was difficult to get into the book, and then once in, hard to stay focused and care. It was kind of boring. And the characters weren’t all that memorable. J.D. struck me as anti-social, paranoid, distrustful, ungrateful and ins
Dec 31, 2015 Piret rated it it was amazing
I'm very picky when it comes to romance and I loved this one. Mainly because the story line was well thought of and they had different side story lines as well. There was a depth to it and it wasn't the typical cheesy kind of romance you can encounter everywhere.
Sep 16, 2013 Jade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-m, favorite, erotica
This is the J.D. in my head, but maybe buffer:

I read this while ago but I remember that this book just hit all the right notes for me. The way the hero didn't suddenly become a better man, he was already a decent one. The way the heroine is so protective of her son and has a good relationship with her parent (who have a good relationship). And the little boy-OMG his character is still me heart-haha. It has HEAT, anger, great dialogue, a take-charge man (who is still a gentleman), and a great se
May 11, 2016 Hajira rated it it was amazing
I liked that the guy was very vulnerabel and had trust issues,
And how the lawrences creapt On him and won him over
Unfortunately, I didn't connect with the characters and I found the pacing quite slow. This was a DNF for me.
Marti Dolata
Oct 01, 2015 Marti Dolata rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
DNF, competent, never engaged me, put down and never picked up again
Oct 01, 2008 Anica rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I dunno how to describe it but Susan Andersen books and myself don't get along well. It is not that I hate them but somehow they just turn out to be so boring and stupid. And this one is no exception. Sadly. Both, hero and heorine, bugged me so much with their behaviour against each other. Their actions didn't really made sense and I hate something like that. Plus, weird and boring plots which don't really have to be there, just to fill out more sites is NOT good.
Now I am really wondering if I s
Cute. Better than I thought it might be.
Apr 05, 2013 Lori rated it liked it
I liked the premise of this book, however, the angst going on the hero was pretty overwhelming. I have a hard time with repetitiveness in describing what his past was like. It offends me a little as a reader to think that the writer needed to get her point across more than once. I GET IT! Or is it that Anderson thought she didn't describe it well enough the first 3 times? I will probably put this on my reread list for another year, though. The tertiary characters were awesome!

Feb 27, 2012 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, own
I really liked this book. It covered all the emotions and was written well so that they were all felt. I liked how J.D. learned he'd been wrong and decided to go for it. I liked the last part of the book, it was a good suspense scene and really kept the pages turning. I also liked how Dru decided to go all out and take a risk on love. The most touching moment was in the end with Tate and J.D.. I would definitely read this book again and this one is staying on my shelf at home. Enjoy
Oct 10, 2014 Lily rated it it was amazing
My first book by this author and I loved it. Sure, nothing new plotwise in the romance department, but what a fun, sexy read!
Shannon C.
May 29, 2011 Shannon C. rated it it was ok
Shelves: humorous
I read Anderson's recent release Burning Up and really enjoyed it. It was a good romantic comedy that reminded me in style to books from SEP, Julie James, Rachel Gibson, etc.

I've tried two of her books since then, and neither lived up to Burning Up. So I guess she is hit or miss for me as an author. I didn't care for the hero in All Shook Up. He wasn't someone I was interested in reading about. I also found the dialogue just so so in parts.
Sandra Munger
Feb 07, 2015 Sandra Munger rated it really liked it
Nice romance
Dru is a 28 year old woman. She has a 10 year old son. She is the general manager of an alpine resort, which implies she's not dumb as a brick. Yet she acts like a 7th grader. Worry not, J.D. is just as bad: being rude, mistrustful (that doesn't even sound like a real word), and overly harsh towards the people who have so far shown him nothing but kindness.

Uhm no, I don't want to read a book about two miserably rude and immature people. DNF.
Good reading. All characters, especially secondary ones, are very likable. However a little something is missing, mainly to the main heroes who look less elaborated and likable than the other ones.
Moreover I sometimes got the impression this book had already been written and read, as some sections reminded me of many others.
I was a little disappointed (though this book remains way better than the previous one Baby don't go).
Julia Willson
Mar 05, 2013 Julia Willson rated it it was ok
Cheesy typical romance from 2001 that seems so outdated. Found the whole "things are great, but I just don't deserve to be happy" bit, which was repeated about a dozen times, immensely frustrating. And why the heck would you name a main character DRUCILLA? Sounds like one of Cinderella's evil stepsisters. Not enough sex, and when they finally got there, they talked and emoted thru the whole thing. Bleck
Jenny Rebecca
I read this book years ago but remember being biased about it as it has the annoying child backstory. Not a lover a children in my romance novels. I've had it for years but I always skip over it for that reason. Today, I piced it up and I have to say I'm enjoying it. Children and all...I finished it, I lost interest after a bit, but it was always cute.
Aug 27, 2013 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down, had to get through it and find out what happened. Lots of fun and surprises, anger, laughter, love and suspense even though we all know how the stories end it is the adventure of getting there. Anderson does a great job of captivating her readers. Had to finish it before I could go to sleep.
Oct 11, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, humor
The classic story of a troubled guy with a rough start making good through the love of a good woman. In this case, the loving woman turned out to be a former foster parent who left him part ownership of a resort. Thanks to her gift, he's able to make a new start after making his old life miserable. Oh, and he finds love, of course.
Jul 19, 2012 Maura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Hero inherited part ownership in a resort. Hero is ready to start over and meets the heroine. She is a single Mom living and working at the resort with her Aunt and Uncle and son. I thought the couple were cute, their issues believable and the hero's growth fun to read. A good read!
Katie Collins
May 03, 2014 Katie Collins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book, to be honest, is just 100% hot hot hot. Though it is filled with skyrocketing deliciousness, it does have a message behind it. We all have a past, but that doesn't mean that we are unworthy of love. I adore this book and revisit it often.
  • Do Not Disturb
  • Wife for a Day
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • Underfoot (Bellagio #2)
  • License to Thrill
  • Be My Baby Tonight (Trehan Brothers, #2)
  • Beware of Doug (Guys & Dogs, #2)
  • Total Rush (New York Blades, #3)
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • He Could Be the One
I grew up in a household with two brothers, a daddy, and my grandfather. Too many men, in other words. They diluted M'ma's influence by diverting my attention to things like the danger of answering nature's call in the dead of the night. I've got a hint for those of you raised in a less spit-and-scratch world: check before you sit, because chances are that seat is gonna be up. And they don't even ...more
More about Susan Andersen...