Start by marking “Forbidden Fire” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Fire

Forbidden Fire

Librarian's note: Alternate cover edition of ISBN 0373707983.

There were two great loves in her life . .

Louise's love for her beautiful home, Queen's Dower, was as solid and unchangeable as the house itself.

But her love for her stepbrother, Daniel, had subtly evolved over the years. While she had adored him during her childhood, she now loved him with a woman's passion.

She
Published July 1979 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Fire

Naksed
Harlequin at its most gloriously non-p.c., taboo, hot mess, bad (or good, depending on how you choose to view it). Sustained by CL's beautiful, elegant writing, it is an eerie tale of obsession, not so much between a man and a woman, but between a man, a woman, and a spooky, old, haunted, castle perched above one of those idyllic English villages that only CL can conjure up with this much dreaminess.

This the story of two step-siblings (with no blood relation but with a quasi father-daughter rel
Jenny
Jul 01, 2013 Jenny rated it did not like it
Story is about a step sister and brother falling in love. The hero resists her because he feels he is too old for her and suffers from jealousy watching her kissing various guys even after they get married. Another book got ruined because of the heroine. She was an idiot acting like a spoiled brat and I must like her because she is the book heroine? I hate heroines who are spoiled (or act like this if they don't get their way), selfish, and never answer for their wrongdoings!
FeliciaKaren

There were two scenes which had my stomach churning...

'I first knew how I felt about you on your fourteenth birthday,' he said abruptly, his mouth grim. 'I came into your room with your birthday present. You remember that new saddle I bought you?'
'You left it on the end of my bed while I was asleep,' she said with a happy smile.
'You were fast asleep when I came in,' he said thickly. 'You'd been excited about your birthday. You always slept restlessly when you were excited, and you'd kicked off
sbf20112011
Jan 26, 2012 sbf20112011 rated it really liked it
Wow. This was SO un-PC! A seventeen-year-old girl marrying her 35-year-old stepbrother who has raised her alone since she was 8 years old. And if the bare facts weren't enough, the things they say!! -- (view spoiler) ...more
Noël Cades
Dec 31, 2015 Noël Cades rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vintage romance fans, age-gap fans
Shelves: older-man
An absolute corker of a vintage Mills & Boon. Virginal schoolgirl bride, endless smouldering sexual tension and an angry older alpha man-of-the-world struggling to control himself. Plus a wonderfully silly plot where after nearly ravishing her every few pages he marries her, and then tries to remain celibate because "she's not ready for marriage". You can imagine how long that resolve lasts!

There are a lot of similarities to Return to Santa Flores but this is much more enjoyable. The heroin
JG
GUILTY PLEASURES CHECKLIST :

Forbidden Love : CHECK!
Jealous Hero: CHECK! CHECK!
Brutal Passion: TRIPLE CHECK!
Concealed PassionL CHECK!

HAHA....So, that explains the five stars¬
Vintage
Ay caramba.

This should either be a 1 star or a 4 star. I'm wimping out at a 3 star.

May-December, step-sibling, un-requited love kind... of.

This whole love story was kind of icky as the h, who's 17, comes home from boarding school, and the H, who's 35, picks her up with his ex-maybe current mistress in the car. Nice.

Punishing kisses, threatening glances. In a bleak attempt for some kind of supremacy and self respect, the h asks a brother/sister duo to visit. The brother falls for the h with very
Jen
Jan 10, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
As the name suggests, this does seem quite incestuous in spite of the lack of blood relation between Daniel and Louise, but somehow the age difference and Daniel's horrid behaviour still make this relationship possible. The power of Mills and Boon.
Tia
Feb 06, 2014 Tia rated it it was amazing
Wicked! It was a bit taboo in places but absolutely thrilling to read. I have to admit, this is definitely one story that turns me on and it isn't even graphic! It's just so intensely powerful!
VioletPetal
Mar 31, 2015 VioletPetal rated it really liked it
Now, this book is a bit tricky to rate. It goes like this:

First 25% of the book => 5 stars!
It starts very well with lots of promising possible plots. I always love a story with older male, especially when his initial role is more like a guardian. The borderline incest adds extra flavor to it as well.

The next 40% of the book => 2 stars :(
This part of the story is quite frustrating and I found myself skimming most of the pages and even skip lots of them. The most annoying part is Louise's p
John
Jun 27, 2012 John rated it it was ok
Okay. I really enjoyed reading the book, but the ending was SO SQUICKY. I expected it, yet the author totally went the route I didn't want her to with it. Instead of exploring the relationship and how the brother/father figure turned into a lover...she basically had them totally okay with it and admitting that they loved each other for a long time. The heroine is 18. Basically, the dialogue post-marriage in this book (which is the last 40 pages) makes you wish you really didn't have the curiosit ...more
Tina
The un-PC plot didn't bother me. What ruined the book was the heroine's idiotic, TSTL and childish behavior. She's only 17 but acts like 10, I seriously wanted to smack her. If TSTL heroines who bursts into tears every few pages because of their own idiotic behavior wouldn't bother you, you might like it. After all, Charlotte Lamb is an amazing HP author.

Love scenes: barely 1 and if you blink you'll miss it.
Chrisolu
May 08, 2008 Chrisolu rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: charlotte lamb lovers,70-80's romace readers, may-dec romance
I loved this book. Its about a step sister and brother falling in love as the step sister becomes an adult. There is a 15-17 year age difference between the two. This book is not very PC, so beware.
Sapphire Blue
Nov 04, 2014 Sapphire Blue rated it really liked it
Another one from my teenage years - old fashioned, but I've always enjoyed stories about step-siblings falling in love
Desirée
Dec 30, 2016 Desirée rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporanea
Terminado de leer el 05/05/2009
L H
May 03, 2016 L H rated it really liked it
3.5
when you read this story in the year 2016 2 + sounds very outlandish. A stepbrother hero whose 35 and heroin was not even 18 with an 18 years old age Gap it's a little bit hard to digest. but then you have to remember that stories written back in the seventies and eighties we're different he drawn.
I did however like the fact that being a 17 years old girl she actually acted like a 17 years old girl. the writer did not try to portray her as oh so mature for her age girl.
also a little bit pos
Katterley
Sep 14, 2016 Katterley rated it it was ok
I remember this one. It creeped me out, but I kept reading in fascination like one might read a book of horrors...

The writing was good, as I remember, the pacing quick.

Read quite a bit of Charlotte Lamb at the public library while in high school.
Booked
Jan 25, 2012 Booked rated it it was amazing
It's not a smooth as I would like the plot to flow. It's a typical guardian/ward romance that I usually like. I can't really rave about it. I still can't decide if this belongs to my favorite. The heroine got a tad bit annoying.
Copper78
Jul 26, 2015 Copper78 rated it liked it
Super creepy. Much creepier than I expected. But Louise and Daniel are both so crazy that it does actually seem that they belong together!
Christy
Jan 15, 2012 Christy rated it it was ok
Read this years ago and loved it. Today it feels creepy. There is a sub/dom vibe going on and not in a good way.
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2012
TriciaLen
TriciaLen rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Maxine
Maxine rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Lovemesomelove
Lovemesomelove rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2015
Lede
Lede rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
seton
seton rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2009
Jadwa
Jadwa rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Jelena
Jelena rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
  • Return to Santa Flores
  • Dark Summer Dawn
  • A Man to be Feared
  • Angel of Darkness
  • A Reason For Marriage (Harlequin Presents, No 1041)
  • The Reluctant Fiancee
  • Champagne Girl
  • Passion Becomes You
Sheila Ann Mary Coates Holland
aka Sheila Holland, Sheila Coates, Charlotte Lamb, Sheila Lancaster, Victoria Woolf, Laura Hardy

Sheila Ann Mary Coates was born on 1937 in Essex, England, just before the Second World War in the East End of London. As a child, she was moved from relative to relative to escape the bombings of World War II. Sheila attended the Ursuline Convent for Girls. On leaving scho
More about Charlotte Lamb...