Start by marking “A Choice of Catastrophes (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
A Choice of Catastrophes (Star Trek: The Original Series)

A Choice of Catastrophes (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The U.S.S. Enterprise, under the command of Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu, is returning from a mission to deliver medical supplies to Deep Space Station C-15, one of Starfleet’s most distant installations. All is routine until the Enterprise comes within a light-year of the planet Mu Arigulon, when the ship is suddenly thrown from warp and suffers a momentary power cut, ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about A Choice of Catastrophes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Choice of Catastrophes

Isobel
I really enjoyed this book, the plot was really interesting and the resolution was really well executed.

I didn't like the change to present tense during flash backs, but then I never really like the use of present tense. It felt jarring in the middle of the ongoing narrative. The flashbacks were clear enough without the tense change.

I found McCoy's apparent complete misunderstanding of (or disregard for?) the way that triage works really odd.

On the whole though, this was really good.
Jimyanni
This is a pretty good story; it's a little weak for a four-star rating, but definitely too good for a thre-star rating. I'd say its current 3.7 star average is about right. The story started slowly, with the crisis with the crew members with good esper rating going comatose seeming a bit too reminiscent of the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before", and McCoy's self-doubts and insecurity seeming a bit too severe to be in character. Mostly, those objections are explained well enough by the end of ...more
Paul Lunger
2011 in the realm of Trek literature has not been a banner year & "A Choice of Catastrophes" joins that list of disappointments. The story is essentially a McCoy story that invokes part of his past & his inability to settle down. The basis is a routine exploratory mission to Mu Arigulon V that splits the story into 2 very different subplots. The primary involves the Enterprise under Sulu's command dealing with distortions that cause the ship to be unable to move & put 5 espers into c ...more
Angela
For something that started with so much promise - a McCoy-centric tale, full of an irritable McCoy's pop therapist internal monologue (SO MUCH ANGST) - I actually tired of this really, REALLY quickly. I ended up skimming the last third of the book, just to get 1 more towards the damn 2012 challenge (30 books this year!). I can't pinpoint the exact problems, except for a general lack of momentum and uninspired narrative. The big reveals in the final chapter just had no real payoff, since I didn't ...more
Scott Williams
This is a strong Star Trek adventure story. It had great entertainment value and an unprecedented use of supporting characters that we saw only once or twice on the TV series. The use of these characters really helped to present the Enterprise crew as a family--something that was done really well on TNG but only vaguely on TOS.
Rachel Gardiner
Fascinating and occasionally frustratingly suspenseful. Humorous epilogue. Love the scent of ST paperbacks.
Cheryl Landmark
I'm an avid Star Trek fan from way back, especially of the original series. And, this was another interesting, delightful read starring Kirk, Spock, Scotty and McCoy.

Lots of fast-paced action, danger and classic Star Trek humour. I liked how it focused mainly on Dr. McCoy, giving us a little more insight into him and his past. Kirk and Spock still remain my two most favourite characters in the series, but the irascible, grumpy, old-fashioned country doctor ranks a close third.

Deedee
Still reading it -- so far, it is just like an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series! The gang is all here, Kirk, Spock, Scottie, Chekov, and, of course, McCoy and Nurse Chapel.

This happened numerous times in the Original TV Series, and now it happens in this novel:
p. 79: " 'Let's go.' Kirk pulled his phaser out, and Chekov followed behind him, waving his tricorder in every possible direction."

Dan
Not bad, not bad at all. A little uneven at times, but an interesting and entertaining romp for the classic crew.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/10/c...
Bryna
A solid book. I like that not only is it a good McCoy story, but the rest of crew has an equal part too, including Nurse Chapel!! Was definitely worth the buy for this one.
Chiara
A bit slow at times, this was my comeback after a few years away from the TOS universe (I do have most of the books). Liked the insight into Bones McCoy's past though.
John
Excellent classic Trek novel. A lot of really good back story on McCoy. Very well written, lots of action. Well paced.
Jayne
very enjoyable! All the characters were exactly as I remembered them.....from long, long ago. Good story, good humor, fast pace.
Laurie Kazmierczak
Lots of action, a new species, and more back stories for Bones....an enjoyable read
Jason
Dragged in spots but overall a good insight into Leonard McCoys past demons.
Steve359
Steve359 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Kirstyn
Kirstyn marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
The Future Begins (Star Trek: S.C.E., #62) (Star Trek: S.C.E.: What's Past, #2) Star Trek: A Choice of Catastrophes The Sky's the Limit (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Shattered Light (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #3) Star Trek Corps of Engineers: What's Past (Star Trek: S.C.E., #61-66)