Start by marking “Outdoor Survival Skills” as Want to Read:
Outdoor Survival Skills

Outdoor Survival Skills

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Text and photographs outline the necessary skills for surviving in the wild including making a shelter, finding food, and effectively using natural resources.
Mass Market, 254 pages
Published May 1st 1976 by Pocket (first published November 30th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Outdoor Survival Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outdoor Survival Skills

Karey
Jan 21, 2008 Karey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature lovers and survivalists
Shelves: outdoor-fun
I just read this book again, or portions of it rather, last year. I've always been a bit of a nature geek, and as a teenager dreamt of living in the wild for a month. I made my own moccasins once, and I still feel as though I haven't quite lived my life's calling because I haven't made squirrel jerky, like this book describes. :) I used to have this book memorized, and one summer, just before my family left the natural park at Goblin Valley in the remote deserts of Utah, I realized I'd better ma ...more
Zora
Jan 21, 2014 Zora rated it really liked it
I've carried this book in my backpack or car or RV since 1980 or so. It has some useful information. I've -- for the heck of it -- learned a few of these skills, like making my own rope with the instructions here (though never to survive, just to learn it), and his explanations are clear enough to follow. Some of the information is outdated--water gathering techniques taught today say that some of what he suggests is too labor intensive for the return in water, and those cool little coins of com ...more
Lou Cadle
May 05, 2016 Lou Cadle rated it it was amazing
My first how-to survival book; I carried it around as a teen, learned to make cordage, tried to start a fire from scratch, tried to make a bow, dug a solar still and had a great deal of fun with it. It was always in my car. Somehow, I still own it.
Mike (the Paladin)
This isn't a bad book and actually may be one of the more useful ones out there in some ways as it assumes you are stuck in a survival situation with no equipment at all. How do you make fire from scratch...how then do you carry a little smoldering ire with you so that you can be on the move without laboring over a drill and bow again tonight. (I live in hope that if I'm ever there I can use a lens from my glasses or something...a drill and bow is no easy thing.

I have an old copy...but it could
William Long
Jan 15, 2014 William Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was a teenager. I had lots of woods to play in growing up in New England. Thinking that World War III was imminent, this book and my mail order Rambo knife was to see me through. I'm rereading it now.
Kim
Feb 14, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larry Olsen is a wilderness guru!! When it comes to making your way in the great outdoors, he has blazed the trail. This book outlines many of his techniques for living off the land. Brilliant and insightful, I wish I had bought a version that wasn't so outdated. The sepia photos were sometimes difficult to decipher, and the message wasn't always clearly conveyed. Spend the extra cash and get a new and complete edition. It'll be worth it!
Norman
May 06, 2008 Norman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
I have really enjoyed this book though I'm sure there are some newer ones out there. I think I liked that the author is from Utah and his experiences are from this area. I have read this book many times over, it's worn out and needs to be replaced, and I carry it about every day with me as a back up for reading.
Emily
Feb 09, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larry Olsen was the forerunner of survivalist literature. The man is a primitive skills god. Maybe five stars is a little high......think of it more like four stars with an extra star for Robert Redford writing the foreword.
Bo
May 27, 2010 Bo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful knowledge for anyone. If taken metaphorically the psychological aspects can be applied, with difficulty, to urban survival.

"It's easy to be a holy man on top of a mountain." -The Razor's Edge
Rahadyan
I first read this about 18 years ago and I periodically re-read it to keep the information fresh in my head. It occupies a permanent place among my survival gear and reference books
Nancy
Aug 14, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very informative! although i expect tanning an animal hide is slightly more difficult than it seems from the mere 8 pages of instructions offered in this book.
Chris
This is the first survival book my Dad ever gave me, and I am who I am today because of it. Thanks Dad...
Lara
Aug 07, 2007 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fascinated with this book as a kid, mainly for fort-building purposes.
Tyson
Oct 24, 2011 Tyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book. Larry Olsen is a pioneer of the survivalist movement.
Timothy
Feb 23, 2012 Timothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...never did manage to make a fire with just sticks. :/
Mark
May 08, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the basics of outdoor survival.
GoodReader
GoodReader marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
OliilO
OliilO marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
daniel r pruden
daniel r pruden marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Jerimy Stoll
Jerimy Stoll rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Pien Anjewierden
Pien Anjewierden marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Anonymous
Anonymous marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Cindi
Cindi marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Ken Viall
Ken Viall marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Scott Muhlstein
Scott Muhlstein marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Charles Warner
Charles Warner marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
silly.wabbit
silly.wabbit marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive
  • The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): Urban Adventure - Wilderness Survival - Disaster Preparedness
  • The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea