Start by marking “Childcraft: The How And Why Library 1984” as Want to Read:
Childcraft: The How And Why Library 1984

Childcraft: The How And Why Library 1984 (Childcraft - The How and Why Library 1984)

4.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Childcraft was first published in 1934. Since then it has undergone substantial revision several times. This edition is a 15-volume resource library designed especially for preschool and primary-grade children and for the older child who needs high-interest, easy-to-read materials. Childcraft also serves as a resource for parents, teachers, and librarians.
Hardcover, 50 years anniversary
Published January 1st 1982 by World Book-Childcraft International (first published January 1st 1964)

M. Lawrence
Mar 06, 2011 M. Lawrence rated it it was amazing
I loved this series of books when I was a kid. They were sold along with the World Book Encyclopedia set, which my parents also bought and I also read avidly. Childcraft was designed to be a sort of encyclopedia for kids, I think, but it really was so much more, with each volume dedicated to everything from nursery rhymes to international folk tales to biology and how technology and machinery work. Fascinating stuff. The articles were extremely well written with first-class illustrations that en ...more
Jay Traub
Dec 14, 2012 Jay Traub rated it it was amazing
The Childcraft books are wonderful. I still read them as an adult, but for a child, they open the world up in ways that are profound in how they shape the view of the world. The book on plants and stories from around the world are my favorites. The set I read was from the 1970s, and I am not sure if there is an updated set, but I am not entirely sure I want an updated set. If I ever have kids, I would try really hard to make sure they had access to these books.
Tia
Mar 15, 2012 Tia added it
I grew up with this series, and wow! - this series really opened my imagination up as a child! I loved the stories, poetry, facts and fiction these books provided. We ended up with 19 books, as we were still sent others such as the Indian book, the book of the sea, and I can't quite remember the last two... hhmmm... Wonderful Childcraft International, very grateful for these wonderful books...
Meyps
Aug 29, 2007 Meyps rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 80s fanatics
The 15 books in the Childcraft collection, circa 1980s were my constant childhood companions. I grew up enjoying red Volume 1's nursery rhymes and poems, apple green Volume 2's stories and fables; I learned to recognize more animals aside from the usual dog, cat, cow, and pig in brown Volume 5; started being conscious about the different types of people, different cultures, different worlds in orange Volume 8; discovered that my imagination was broader and better than my fine motor skills with b ...more
Haily Lincoln
After years of searching online, I finally found what these book's were called. I read these books cover to cover through my childhood until roughly high school even though they were probably outdated for my generation. I still loved them and think of them often, they helped shaped my love of reading and learning.
May
May 09, 2013 May rated it it was amazing
I read the 1988, 1993 edition. The Arabic Version by "Al-Bab Al-Maftuh الباب المفتوح".

I began to look at the pictures even before I knew how to read. I used to ask my siblings to read them to me. After few years I was able to read them by myself and boy did I read. I also discovered that my sister made up stories as she pretended to read to me.

I learned many things from these books. math, art, cultures and many more. I also learned how to count to 10 in Italian from them. I still remember them
Jinglemarco
Aug 05, 2016 Jinglemarco marked it as to-read

So this is the original version of my italian "I Quindici" collection, where, I think, images about cities and urban streets mostly were switched with the ones of Milan, for an italianization.
Margaret Chind
Oct 29, 2014 Margaret Chind is currently reading it
Shaun
Jan 13, 2015 Shaun rated it it was amazing
If not for this book series, I do not know where I would be. Thank you, Childcraft!
Chad Lamb
The boring guide for parents -- not entertaining reading material for kids.
wena
Sep 12, 2014 wena rated it it was amazing
Brings back good memories :-) wonderful books from world book!
Michelle Moloney King
Jul 01, 2015 Michelle Moloney King rated it it was amazing
These books were the building blocks of my childhood!
Hailey Shannon
May 08, 2016 Hailey Shannon rated it it was amazing
My childhood!
Monica Henderson-carpenter
This was something I read as a child and wanted to introduce my daughter to. I am so glad to have found them again!
Dena
Feb 06, 2011 Dena rated it it was amazing
I grew up having these in my home. I especially liked the "Make and Do" volume and the one about the holidays and seasons. I was surprised our library has them here to check out.
Mroush
Apr 20, 2012 Mroush rated it it was amazing
it's relay a Sweet series ,
Damiana Punzi
Damiana Punzi marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Taija
Taija rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Riley Grigg
Riley Grigg rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Barbie
Barbie marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Sara McNamara
Sara McNamara rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Joshua
Joshua added it
Apr 10, 2016
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2016
Adriana Jimnez
Adriana Jimnez marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Abhilash
Abhilash rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Lara Maynard
Lara Maynard marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Childcraft - The How and Why Library 1984 (1 books)
  • Great Myths And Legends (1984 Childcraft Annual)