Start by marking “El Chancellor” as Want to Read:
El Chancellor

Read Book* *Different edition

El Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages #13)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Hardcover
Published (first published 1875)

To ask other readers questions about El Chancellor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Chancellor

Pramod Nair
A highly satisfying nautical adventure from Jules Verne. The novel is written from a first person perspective and narrates a great tale of tragedy, mystery, and suffering through journal entries made by J R Kazallon, a passenger on the ship 'Chancellor'.

The book starts of at a slow pace and builds up suspense and drama once the reader is through the first quarter of the narrative. A fire that happens on the 'Chancellor' forces the unfortunate passengers to abandon their ship for a raft and make
Duane
Verne's love for the sea led him to write several novels about ships, shipwrecks, castaways, etc. This 140 year old novel (1875) is the story of the commercial sailing ship, the Chancellor, and it's ultimate demise in the Atlantic Ocean, leaving it's crew and passengers adrift on a raft for 51 days. While it's a good adventure/disaster story, it's also the story of the human experience; how people react to water and food deprivation, the continuous fear of storms and sharks, and the ultimate fea ...more
Uncle  Dave Avis
Nov 11, 2011 Uncle Dave Avis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jules Verne, of course, wrote in the mid 19th century, and his style of writing reflects this. Why say in short phrases what can be said in longer flowery phrases.
Once the reader gets beyond the style of writing shock, the story is really a good one. Verne develops the characters very well, builds the story with skill, and narrates in the first person the struggle of being shipwrecked. I have read a great many shipwreck narratives over the years, and find that this fictional work is very much l
Stuart Taylor
Apr 04, 2013 Stuart Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gave me what I wanted from Moby Dick!

The Survivors of the Chancellor is a book which for the first 40 - 50 pages felt dull and uneventful. Characters were established and the writing style was very fluid and immersive but it hadn't hooked me and I feared that i'd just plod through the book and conclude by giving it a lacklustre 3 stars, feeling that - though well written - it just didn't hook me. It was about this point though in these later pages where I started to realise how necessary this pa
Juliana Brandagamba
(view spoiler) ...more
Juan Carlos Santillán
Éste es, definitivamente, el libro más oscuro que he leído de Verne hasta el momento. En él no existen grandes descubrimientos científicos ni pormenorizadas descripciones geográficas. "El Chancellor" es la historia de un grupo de personas y sus diferentes maneras de hacer frente a un desastre inevitable, que pone a prueba su integridad física y moral. No es de los mejores libros del novelista francés, pero mantiene la tensión, el ritmo y la fluidez en casi toda su extensión.
Carl
May 28, 2014 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sin
Nov 26, 2010 Sin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is one the first books that I have read in my life.
I can't remember all details now but I know that it made a deep impression on me at that time.
I think I can say it's one the books that got me hooked on reading.
It's hard to give a rating for this book now. I will give it 5 stars rating just because of its special place in my childhood.
Rashidul K
surprisingly this novella isnt popular. this is so well written and deserves to be noticed more among hundreds of other work of Jules Verne. Read it if you love his works.
Colin Bartol
A surprisingly dark story. Normally Verne is much more upbeat, but this story practically could be an existentialist novel. Still it kept me engaged.
Kimberly Mccrea
Book referenced on "Lost". Regina is reading the book upside down before she wraps herself in chains and leaps off the freighter.
Will Boncher
Pretty standard Jules Verne adventure. More cannibalism than usual.
Amber
Jan 03, 2009 Amber marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
LOST - 207
dragonhelmuk
Angie
May 12, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read before bedtime

Wow, this is not what I expected. You can really get some serious nightmares. Still it sure kept my attention. Probably an accurate account of what can happen. Makes me never want to take another cruise.
Rodrigo
Mar 27, 2013 Rodrigo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This is supposed to be the journal of one of the passengers. It feels more like journalism than literature. It's well written, but it's little more than an account of facts.
The characters are developed through dialog with the journal's writer and his opinions, this is well done and does not feel forced. He's the kind of person who never misjudges people, which makes the story less interesting. And all the characters act the same way the whole story, which is odd given the situations they go thro
Jose lana
May 25, 2016 Jose lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jules-verne
A harsh history of a shipwreck and the hard times and conflictive relations of the survivors in a raft
Ratratrat
Mamma, che viaggio di sfigati! un pericolo dopo l'altro!
Cait
I may have actually liked this book had I been able to read the print copy. Unfortunately I will never know. I was stuck listening to the audiobook narrated by John Bolen, as it was all my library had. What a terrible narrator! He kept slipping in and out of accents, which were god awful anyway. On top of that, I've seen people do the thorazine shuffle with more enthusiasm than Bolen could muster in his narration. At least it was short.

Robert
Sep 22, 2013 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I kind of have a fantasy of being shipwrecked. It was a quick read, but seemed to lack a plot more enticing than the shipwreck itself. It was still enjoyable for a short story, but it never managed to make me care about the characters, and the conclusion seemed quick and non-resolutiony.
Brian Dahlvig
Yea...like me some Jules Verne, but there's a reason some of his books are more popular than others...
Rauf
The first real Jules Verne book I've ever read. Picked it 'cause I love that title. Real gnarly.
- Fey - Es
- Fey - Es marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Grace De
Grace De marked it as to-read
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
The_True_Nali
The_True_Nali marked it as to-read
Kimi
Kimi added it
Mason Hughes
Mason Hughes marked it as to-read
Cassie Dowell
Cassie Dowell marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Bad Twin
  • After All These Years
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • Lancelot
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • The Laws of Manu
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • Laughter in the Dark
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • The Corsican Brothers
  • The Invention of Morel
  • Deep River
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages #8)
  • The Blockade Runners (Extraordinary Voyages #8*)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)