Start by marking “Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)

Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  49,010 Ratings  ·  4,835 Reviews
Flat-Out Love is a warm and witty novel of family love and dysfunction, deep heartache and raw vulnerability, with a bit of mystery and one whopping, knock-you-to-your-knees romance.

It's not what you know - or when you see - that matters. It's about a journey.

Something is seriously off in the Watkins home. And Julie Seagle, college freshman, small-town Ohio transplant, and
Published April 1st 2012 by Createspace (first published April 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Flat-Out Love, please sign up.

K Elizabeth What aspects of the book do you like? I can't think of anything exactly like it; but if you tell me what you like about this book I can make some…moreWhat aspects of the book do you like? I can't think of anything exactly like it; but if you tell me what you like about this book I can make some recommendations based on that info.
(less)
Sex in the Title by Zack LoveThe Rosie Project by Graeme SimsionCritical Hit-On by Deanna DeeFlat-Out Matt by Jessica ParkFlat-Out Love by Jessica Park
Books with Nerdy/Geeky leading Men
5th out of 79 books — 26 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books I Can't Get Enough Of
214th out of 542 books — 216 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Stark

Buddyread with my also displeased Anna (Click to read her review--complete with quote proofs and puzzles!)

Disclaimer: If you enjoyed this book, further reading this review may possibly give you a stroke. Please refrain from reading and do understand that this is clearly just one woman's opinion.

My all inclusive gif:

This book is another character-driven one, considering there is no semblance of a real plot. Do we know the hopes and dreams of Julie? No. What we do know is that everything she think
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Aug 25, 2011 Maja (The Nocturnal Library) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maja (The Nocturnal Library) by: Flannery
The first review I wrote consisted almost entirely of incoherent gushing. This one is pretty much like that, but I did manage to include some useful info. Don’t expect much, though. I can’t remember the last time I felt this way about a book.

As a dedicated reader, I don't think I've ever connected to a story quite this much. There are so many books that are close to my heart for some reason or other, but there was never one so achingly familiar and mine. And it wasn’t just one character that I
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Congrats, Flat-Out Love. Welcome to the very limited circle of books I hated. Say hello to The Perfect Game for me, would you?

Buddy read with Kat (click to read her review), who saved my sanity (thanks for the support through this!!)

But because my inner circle of doom rewards its members as they deserve, let's start with little awards, 'kay?

But first of all........ Music!

It comes as no surprise that Julie easily earns the most insufferable ès judgmental heroine medal for her endless efforts t
kristina
Feb 23, 2013 kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to kristina by: La-Lionne
Shelves: contemporary
The truth is that when I started reading this I expected a romance story.

But I wasnt disappointed , because this was awesome!

How would you feel if your apartment deal fell through ?

That would be bad...
Fortunatelly Julie's mother contacts with an old college friend , so Julie is moving at their home.

The Watkins seem to be a weird family with many secrets that Julie discovers during the book.However the oddest thing of all is Celeste , the youngest member of this family.

She wasn't crazy , she was
Colleen Hoover
May 23, 2016 Colleen Hoover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was way too much yodeling in this book, but other than that, it's one of the best books I've read in this genre. I highly recommend it. I think Jessica Park is a very talented author. She writes good. Or is it well? (That's why I'm a reviewer and not an author.)

Limonessa
Sep 04, 2011 Limonessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, favorites
Have you ever...

-got a crush on a penfriend you never or barely met?
-pined a whole year - or more - for your summer crush?
-fallen in love with the idea of someone, idolizing him/her and thus making him/her perfect?

In other words:

Have you ever fallen in love with LOVE?

If you've recognized yourself in any of these questions, then this is the book for you.

Julie is from Ohio but she's starting college in Boston. When she arrives to find the apartment she thought she rented to be a total scam, her l
Karla
Only .99 on Amazon 12/31/12, and if you haven't read it...it's definitely worth checking out!

5 HUGE STARS! Incredible book, from an incredible talent...I LOVED it!

Nothing flat about this book at all, it’s bursting at the seams with delightful characters, raw emotion, terrific dialogue, humor and heartache. This is a beautifully written unconventional love story. It’s hard to put into words how much this book touched me. Jessica Park is one of those extraordinary writers that draws you in and ha
Stacia (the 2010 club)
*Update 06/12* My thoughts have changed about the book and my rating has been lowered. I am unable to explain why though, due to reasons which are not allowed to be stated because they are in conflict of GR policy of what is/is not allowed in a review.

*Original Review for the book 10/11*

Flat-Out Love definitely falls more on the "girly" side, but I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss.

The story follows a girl named Julie who is swindled out of her money when she gets
Elizabeth (Liz)
Goodreads asks me, 'What did you think?'. How in the world do I appropriately, adequately, answer that question with regard to Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park?! I'm certainly no author; I'm not even a 'real' reviewer. So, how do I put into words just how much I love this story and admire the talent and sheer genius of Jessica Park?

I don't do plot summaries, as should be more than evident by now. It's easy enough to read the summary and decide for yourself if this sounds like something that might i
Aestas Book Blog
Jun 14, 2012 Aestas Book Blog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! I absolutely FLAT-OUT LOVED this book!!!

"...that's what love does to you. Gut-wrenching, overpowering, crushing, fulfilling, complex, bring-you-to-your-knees love."

It was beautiful!! It kept me hooked right from the beginning. It was amazing, heart warming and a little heart wrenching, with light and funny moments, as well as deeply emotional ones. The dialogue was clever and witty and had me laughing out so many times. But this book was not a fluff read - it was deep, touching, and bit
Nina
Aug 06, 2013 Nina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh. Could not bring myself to finish this book. Julie, the main character, started to annoy me from Chapter 2 onwards. But this got a lot of high ratings so I gave it a shot and soldiered on, but even after 100+ pages in, I still could not see why it's supposed to be good. Julie is the kind of person who will never be my friend if she existed in real life.

Almost each chapter began with a Facebook status of each of the three leads, but more often than not these didn't even have anything to do wi
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 31, 2012 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Karla
Shelves: young-adult, ebook
(This is an Adult-who-enjoys-reliving-the-stirrings-of-first-love-and-self-discovery-during-the-teen-years-through-YA books review ^_^)

5 + Stars!

Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

WOW. I FLAT-OUT LOVE this book by self-published author, Jessica Park!!!

This quote sums up how this book made me feel, how it inspired me through my journey with it, and even after I reluctantly closed its pages...

I’ve been struggling with my reading lately and I wanted a story that would really captivate me
The Holy Terror
Aug 01, 2012 The Holy Terror rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Never, in a million years, will I read this book.
Kristin (KC)
*5 Stars!*

Flat Out Love was such a beautiful, touching, and heartfelt story that left me sorting out my feelings for days before I could properly sum them up.

I won't go into details over plot, as there is an extreme twist that I would hate to reveal, but I will say that I loved every little bit of this unique story! The characters were lovable and life-like, and I fully enjoyed their witty back-and-forth banter and charming dialogue. There were some moments, however, where I felt there could hav
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
5 stars

"I don't want this to end. I don't want to land and reach the real world, because I like our world up here better.”

This book,is one of those many fabulous books,with story-lines that stick with you for a life time.The best thing about this book was that the characters are so uniquely damaged.Even with all their tortured past and bizarre habits,I loved how the characters managed to pass off as fun and quirky.More like in a Alice-in-wonderland style.

I loved how the author,Jessica park,ac
Andreas
Feb 27, 2016 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Sterne *___* Tolles Buch! halber Stern Abzug, weil das Ende schon sehr vorhersehbar war, aber das tut dem Buch keinen Abbruch.
Taryn at My Secret Romance

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this story. When I first read the blurb, I thought, ok, this sounds kind of cute. I added it to my must-read-list. I didn't think twice of it until a friend messaged me on here and told me she had it to lend, via Kindle. After just reading Beautiful Disaster, I needed something wildly different. And boy oh boy was this different, but in such a wonderful way.

For me, this book was strangely entertaining to the point whe
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**spoiler free review**

HOLY CRAP I LOVED THIS BOOK!

I did not expect for this book to so thoroughly blow my mind. Mind officially blown.

description

I feel like this review should be very witty because the book is so smartly written. It really took me by surprise. I've read so many insipid YA books that to read one that is written so carefully and so thoughtfully is like a shock to my system.

A quick plot summery: A girl (Julie) starts college in Boston but finds herself without a place to live, and ends up
Kiki
Nov 06, 2015 Kiki marked it as not-a-snowballs-chance-in-hell  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me? Bitch, please.
Ariana
Wait for me while i catch my breath..
(minutes passing, hours passing, days passing...)

Ok, here we go, but I don't promise that my review will make much sense to you.
So I'll start by saying that I really need to read this book again!

My Thoughts:
This book took me completely by surprise.
It seemed like a really light read, but in fact it is the complete opposite. I guess that these days I'm really easy to trick, but I love surprises, and I love how this story turned out.

Think about it this way:
Imag
Lisa
Jan 31, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-reads
All I can say is that I am absolutely in FLAT OUT LOVE with this book!!!!! I connected with this book at a level that does not happen too often. I laughed, I got angry, I cried - essentially, I went through through a whole plethora of emotions. There were scenes in the book that had me laughing so hard like the New Year's Eve conversation between Julie and Matt and then there were scenes that ripped my heart out and offered it to me on a platter with a "take that"! I loved the characters in this ...more
Leslie
WOW!! I cannot even begin to tell you how much I was captivated and enthralled by this story! The writing flowed realistically throughout with brilliant character development and the, OMG, knock-you-to-your-knees lovestory was undeniable!

When Julie realizes her "Craig's-List" apartment is really a burrito stand, she's desperate and as luck would have it, her mother's old college roommate, Erin Watkins, fortunately invites her to move in. It's close the her college and would be free! (What's not
Catie
Feb 09, 2014 Catie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catie by: Flannery
Shelves: read-in-2011, ya, romance

I think that this is a great example of self-publishing gone right. There is a lot to love here: a pretty steamy epistolary romance, a lot of nice tension, some hilarious social media based humor, and unique and eccentric characters that I love. Unfortunately, there are just so many things that turned me off personally in this book. However, if you are looking for a main stream romance with more depth than average, then I think that you should give this a chance.

Julie is eighteen years
Cait
Aug 29, 2011 Cait rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found on my blog, Cait's Corner

Wow. Before I start this review, I'm going to do a little fan-girl gushing: this book was soooo amazing and wonderful and flat-out (haha I'm punny as a fan-girl) stupendous that if you don't have this book on your to-read list, put it on there now.........

Hahahahah I'm just kidding

But seriously.

Let me start off this review with the characters, because they are so incredibly real to me. I feel like I could walk out of my house and th
Leea
Jun 27, 2012 Leea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leea by: Stacia (the 2010 club)
Updated June 20th 2012

I can no longer look past Jessica Parks bad behavior when it comes to negative reviews. This seems to be a theme among authors now days. It's wrong, readers have the right to review books in the manner they choose. I review books here on Goodreads for myself and to help my friends make educated book selections.

I feel like i'm being forced to downgrade my rating of Flat-Out Love because of this bad behavior and it's very frustrating. My hope is that Ms. Park can change her
Samantha Young
Nov 09, 2011 Samantha Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-i-own, indie
Flat-Out love is more than a love story between two people. Although there is romance, Jessica Park’s contemporary YA novel for me was more about the love of a family, and the lengths people will go to, to help the ones they love.

If you do work out the twist from the beginning of Flat-Out Love, I promise you it won’t detract from your enjoyment of the story. If you don’t work it out, then you’re in for a clever and heart-squeezing ride. The heroine Julie is a likeable college Freshman who descen
Abbi Glines
Nov 15, 2011 Abbi Glines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. I would have probably enjoyed it more if I hadn't figured out the "twist" by chapter three. If you haven't read it then stay away from reviews. I read several reviews and because of that I just KNEW what was going to happen once Flat Finn made his appearance.
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
God awful, bratty BBA, who thinks "friendship" means attacking people for not liking your friend's horrendous abuse book.

This author and her little friend Jamie McGuire find it fun to gang up on people who had the audacity to not like their books. So they troll Amazon and tag team negative reviewers of their books. Some links.

Even Dear Author mentions her behavior.

But that doesn't stop her. No, to prove that Goodreads users are awful for saying that she attacks reviewers, she, well, no surprise
Smitten's Book Blog

My Casting: Finn, Julie & Matt

4 STARS

Ok, I imagine this is going to be a little difficult to write without spoilers, but let's see how we go.

I have so many books on my Kindle that I haven't read, so I'm trying to make my way through some of them, rather than just reading the newest releases all the time.

I really don't know how to rate this book. Part of me loved it... It was intriguing, original, the characters are fabulous and it's so well written. I adore the surrounding cast, I love the
Joana
Jan 02, 2012 Joana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I found this book boring. Nothing really happened and the mystery (?) was way too obvious. The humor and witty dialogue were really forced, and all the characters had the same personality.

It's alright for a self-published book though. Just so boring.
  • The Sweet Gum Tree
  • Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1)
  • Dream Chaser
  • That Wedding (That Boy, #2)
  • Good For You (Between the Lines, #3)
  • Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2)
  • Grounding Quinn
  • The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7)
  • Shark Bait (Grab Your Pole, #1)
  • The Boots My Mother Gave Me
  • The Final Piece
  • How to Kill a Rock Star
  • Almost
  • Geek Girl
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • Sempre (Forever, #1)
  • Last Flight Out
  • The Journey Begins
Jessica is the author of CLEAR, The Left Drowning Series (LEFT DROWNING and RESTLESS WATERS), the New York Times bestselling FLAT-OUT LOVE (& the companion novella FLAT-OUT MATT), FLAT-OUT CELESTE, and RELATIVELY FAMOUS. She lives in New Hampshire where she spends an obscene amount time thinking about rocker boys and their guitars, complex caffeinated beverages, and tropical vacations. On the ...more
More about Jessica Park...

Flat-Out Love (2 books)
  • Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love, #2)

“If you can't stop thinking about someone's update, that's called "status cling.” 324 likes
“Then she did what any girl would do: she Googled him.” 284 likes