Tonal Harmony, with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music

Tonal Harmony, with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Designed to meet the needs of the two-semester theory curriculum for music majors, Tonal Harmony is a straightforward book that emphasizes practicality and ease-of-use for both the student and the professor.

By focusing on the core elements of the theory curriculum in a single-volume format, the text is both a complete coursebook and a handy and cost-saving manual for stud

Published July 21st 1999 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1994)

David
How could objectively rate this? I can only say that during one of the great carefree times of life (freshman year of music school) it completely transformed my understanding and appreciation of harmony. Props to mrs. Derry, theory instructor at WMU school of music. (1991 graduate, bachelor's degree)
Marilyn Moreau
Not the most fun I've ever had, but what it does, which is explain and test your comprehension of music theory, it does well. The companion workbook is also great reinforcement.
Tamsyn
Another college textbook I'll never part with.
Dan Studnicky
Best/Only music theory textbook I've ever used.
David Webb
I use this text for my AP MusicTheory class. It covers all the concepts of written & analytical theory that are covered on the AP exam, so it makes sense---all the other texts I evaluated came up short in one way or another. My problem lies in the way the book is written. The author is an intellectual elitist. The style is wordy and pretentious. I find myself spending as much time deciphering the book as teaching from it. It is thorough, but not always clear.
Craig Pruitt
Stefan Kostka has created an impressive tome of musical analysis and theory. While the books focuses mainly on the harmony aspect of music, it touches on 20th century music and lights the way for new discovery. The material is sometimes difficult to understand but I've found it helpful to read the proceeding chapter of the one I'm stuck on. It generally helps and I seldomly have to turn to the internet or other books for more information.
Joel
This is kind of THE book, as far as I can tell. It's not organized in the most awesome way ever, but it for defs gets the job done. It's best used as a reference, I think, and in conjunction with, like, mimeographed worksheets or something.

Whenever I have a theory related question, this is the first book I pick up and it rarely lets me down!

Read it with a lover!

YunJin
it's not the most fantastic theory book, but it's pretty comprehensive and now i know hella shit. it makes reading other theory books a lot more fun.
Joe
Quite possibly the worst theory book ever compiled... it isn't worth your money and I apologize that you know this book.
Laura Gilson
If you prefer a grammatical approach to music theory, this is your text. I prefer a functional approach.
Mary Willis
Good explanations, well organized, plenty of exercises to support learning.
Dustin
To be placed next to/in place of The Bible on your bookshelf.
Carissa
The worst text for teaching music theory to teenagers.
Dan Dartnall
This is how I learned the basics of music theory.
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Alvaro Escobar
Alvaro Escobar marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ashley Blocker
Ashley Blocker marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Gamal
Gamal marked it as to-read
Abiakwu Chima
Abiakwu Chima marked it as to-read
Lalani
Lalani added it
Mathias
Mathias marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Cec
Cec is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2014
  • Theory of Harmony
  • The Jazz Theory Book
  • The Art of Practicing: A Guide to Making Music from the Heart
  • The Lives of the Great Composers
  • A Soprano on Her Head: Right-Side-Up Reflections on Life and Other Performances
  • Improvisation: Its Nature And Practice In Music
  • The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven
  • Music, Language, and the Brain
  • Beethoven
  • Johannes Brahms: A Biography
Materials and Techniques of Twentieth-Century Music Workbook for Tonal Harmony: With an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music, Sixth Edition Tonal Harmony with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music Anthology of Music for Analysis Materials and Techniques of Post-Tonal Music (4th Edition)