Start by marking “Flesh Which Is Not Flesh” as Want to Read:
Flesh Which Is Not Flesh

Flesh Which Is Not Flesh

The fortune-teller warned, “Be careful who you give your heart to.”

Cameron’s true love—the beautiful, brown-eyed Wesley—has disappeared. It’s been months since he left, but Cameron’s heart is still like an open wound. So when he spots Wesley at a carnival performing as the sword swallower’s assistant, he can’t help but hope for a reunion. What he doesn’t know is that Wesle
Published March 5th 2014 by StoryFront (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Flesh Which Is Not Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flesh Which Is Not Flesh

Katya
Oh, Jessica, I was a fan before I even read one of your books.

Who doesn't know of Flesh Which Is Not Flesh? The story, which was originally intended as part of the Wicked Pretty Things anthology, but then was pulled out after the editor said it will have to be published as a male/female romance instead of a male/male romance because otherwise it would not be acceptable.

Wherever you stand on the matter, I think we can all agree it's hard to review something that has become famous for something o
Chiara (delicate eternity)
*heavy sigh*

I was so, so very excited about Flesh Which Is Not Flesh. I was looking forward to reading a gothic-y paranormal story about two boys in love. And, I did. To some extent.

Now, I thought that this was a novella, but in all reality, it was more like a short story. To be honest, it could have done with being longer. There was a lot to the story, and heaps of things were just kind of … brushed over because of the length. So it was a bit disappointing, especially when it came to the past b
Christian
Sep 17, 2011 Christian rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Earlier this summer, there was a huge kerfuffle over this story. It was to be included in an anthology of fairy story romances. But then the editor asked the author to make the couple a heterosexual couple instead of a homosexual couple. The author didn't and went to the internets and raised a stink. There was a lot of this, that, and the other that went around, eventually resulting in the cancellation of the anthology as author after author pulled out.

To support the author, I bought the story w
Kate
Oct 06, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, e-book
Lots of drama, but a disappointing conclusion. I just couldn't empathize with the main character's decisions. Might have worked better as a full-length novel, rather than a short story.
Andrew
Nov 21, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Cameron goes to a carnival and, to his shock, meets Wesley, the boy who once broke his heart and left town without so much as a goodbye, performing as a sword swallower’s assistant. But something's wrong. Why did Wesley leave without saying goodbye? Why did he break Cameron's heart the way he did? And who is the strange woman who seems to hold Wesley her prisoner?

Now, I like Jessica Verday's writing style within her "The Hollow" trilogy and this carried through w
Laura Martinelli
Aug 11, 2011 Laura Martinelli rated it really liked it
First off, hooray for Jess Verday for making this available as an ebook (and proceeds to benefit charity)! I heard about this during the Wicked Pretty Things fail, and was really interested in reading it.

This story is down-right creepy. From the moment Cameron meets the Queen of Hearts up until the very end, I couldn’t shake the unnerved feeling of the story. There’s a lot of traditional lore that gets played around with, and I enjoyed seeing how Verday worked everything into the modern setting.
Sev3nty
Dec 30, 2011 Sev3nty rated it it was amazing
So, I originally picked up this short story because I was following the publisher updates about the Wicked Pretty anthology (really, you should just read the recap here http://cleolinda.livejournal.com/9692...). Shortest version, one of the stories in the anthology (this one, in fact!), had gay main characters and the author was asked to change them to straight It sounds like she pulled out of the anthology and then most of the other authors did too... lots of drama.

On to the actual review... t
Hannah
Jun 27, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
:) wish it was a full blown book but the short story is soo good :)
Melinda
Aug 05, 2011 Melinda rated it it was amazing
First off, So proud of Jessica for publishing her short story!!!!! Second, what a story! Great job as always, totally love the way she writes. You have never heard a story on Valentines Day quite like this. Very creative, fun, and entertaining. You will laugh and cry with this book. Wish it was a whole book instead of short story. Its a story of true love and devotion. I recommend this book to everyone, great short story
Krista
Sep 01, 2011 Krista rated it really liked it
very interesting story. so glad it became available on Nook. Ms. Verday is truly due more recognition for her work.
Gabby
Oct 06, 2012 Gabby marked it as to-read
I heard about the story behind this book, but i can't find it ANYWHERE! :(
Danielle
Oct 04, 2011 Danielle marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya-fiction
One reviewer compared this to "Lips Touch" - I'm so there.
Christine
This wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.
Tai Black
Tai Black marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Rebecca Kiff
Rebecca Kiff marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Jessica Bowe
Jessica Bowe marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Trin
Trin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Patchouli
Patchouli marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Alexander Lorandos
Alexander Lorandos marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Desirae Brown
Desirae Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Lindsey Cosby
Lindsey Cosby marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
K.c. Wheeler
K.c. Wheeler marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Cassaundra Aunna
Cassaundra Aunna marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Anastacia
Anastacia marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • Fire in the Sea
  • Wayward Girls and Wicked Women
  • Itsy Bitsy
  • Pretty Little Dead Things
  • Summoner of Storms (Spectr, #6)
  • Stygian
  • Out
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • Saving Crofton Hall (Stately Passions #1)
  • Joe Ledger: The Missing Files
  • Hemovore
  • Shadow Unit 6
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Little Rock Girl 1957: How a Photograph Changed the Fight for Integration
  • The Marrying Kind
  • Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • After The Fall
  • Humbug
Jessica Verday is the New York Times bestselling author of The Hollow Trilogy, published by Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse. She wrote the first draft of THE HOLLOW by hand, using thirteen spiral-bound notebooks and fifteen black pens. The first draft of THE HAUNTED took fifteen spiral-bound notebooks and twenty black pens. THE HIDDEN took too many notebooks and too many pens to count. Find out m ...more
More about Jessica Verday...