Start by marking “Tea with Emma (The Teacup Novellas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tea with Emma (The Teacup Novellas, #1)

Tea with Emma (The Teacup Novellas #1)

3.49  ·  Rating Details ·  1,466 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
Published June 20th 2011 by OBT Bookz

To ask other readers questions about Tea with Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea with Emma

Marlene
Mar 29, 2015 Marlene rated it it was ok
Tea with Emma, the first of The Teacup Novellas by Diane Moody, is a contemporary romance within another story.

The novella opens with Lucy Alexander, an author with writer's block receiving an inheritance of teacups from her Aunt Lucille, who collected the cups over the years. Lucy is inspired to write a story for each teacup.

In Tea with Emma, Lucy writes her first story. Emma is not a character in either the story or the story within a story. Emma refers to Maddie Cooper, who decides to open
Hannah
The ebook is free, so I read it on a whim to coincide with a group buddy read. It's a lighthearted comedy of a book, with many a nod to the classic "Emma" by Jane herself. As a teacup collector, I loved the teacup collection/tearoom emphasis.

That said, I can't approve of all the characters. One is very heartless when another is injured, yet it's implied that he's at fault for being a Scrooge of a man; well, I'd have been sick of the chatter, too, if I'd been cooped up in a plane from London to A
Kathy
Jun 14, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
As a lover of reading, I have never read a Jane Austen book. Always planned on it, but never picked up one of her books.
This title tempted me to read it and see what a "Jane" themed book was all about. I loved it! A quick fun read. The main character Maddie just returns from a trip to England with her best friend with plans to open up a tea room. She is a lover of anything Jane and her favorite book is Emma. She is much like Emma, playing the matchmaker.
I am now going to read my first Jane Aus
Olivia
Mar 09, 2016 Olivia rated it liked it
One of those books that are fun to read, but also a little annoying.

Ever since living in England I get a annoyed with the "American girl falls in love with a handsome, British guy" story-line. Oh, not to mention he's as moody as Mr. Darcy and has this perfect posh accent. There did seem more of a focus on looks than true love in this story. They didn't even know much about each other when they kissed!!!

But all that being said, I did like the story and want to read the others :)
Loraine
This is the second book I have read in The Teacup Novella series. I really liked the first one I read: A Christmas Peril which was the last in the series. This one was the first, and I found the characters somewhat immature for their age especially Maddie. Their antics on the plane ride home from England and her attitude towards the unknown Englishman when he is hit by the flying wheel from Lainey's bag were somewhat off putting. I did see some growth in Maddie as she learned her lesson from her ...more
María
Feb 10, 2015 María rated it it was ok
This story was nice but not for me. The modern christian version of Emma was a deception. I dont like the multiples references to God, especially in Ian's conversion, which was very quickly to seem realistic...
The modern turn whit Laney and her ciber boyfriend was inteligent and I like the frame of Maddie story, that was the story of the author, Lucy, who had inherited the tea cups from an excentric aunt. But I don't recommend this book.
The end was so quickly, he didn't speak to her but he apol
Nora Petralli Charles
Oct 07, 2013 Nora Petralli Charles rated it did not like it
Tea With Emma - The Teacup Novellas - Book One by Diane Moody is a narrative based on Emma by Jane Austen. This sugary-sweet story opens by introducing us to Lucy, a writer who is in the midst of struggling with writers block and a deadline around the corner. She receives an elegantly decorated china teacup in the mail, an inheritance from her late Aunt Lucille. The small teacup gives her inspiration for the novella.

Tea With Emma opens with Maddie, Madeleine Cooper and her friend, Lanie, Elaine
Victoria Minks
Oct 28, 2016 Victoria Minks rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
It was a nice light plotline--I did enjoy that. I didn't care for the rather heavy emphasis on good looks--it seemed to be almost more important than personality or good character to the main characters in the story. I didn't care for the kissing/hugging either--it wasn't even between just the couples and I didn't like that very much. I also found some of the writing to be a bit awkward... very heavy on the dialogue... and the British main male character is very stereotypical. But, th
Bekah
Jul 03, 2016 Bekah rated it liked it
This was my first book by this author and I quite enjoyed it. This series was a very clever idea with the different tea cups each having a different story behind them and I thought that this particular story, Tea with Emma was very sweet.

What I Liked: Maddie and Lainie were both very likeable characters. This book opens with them returning from a trip to England exploring the world of Jane Austen and coming back having had a wonderful time. Another character is also introduced in this first scen
Bridget
May 17, 2013 Bridget rated it liked it
This was a cute story..Sweet characters...And I adore them all! Especially Nana & Jonathan...

There were quite a few times I got kind of bored throughout the story and that's why it got a 3/5 stars. But, thinking over the story, it's a sweet story with a message...Which I won't tell here because for who ever reads it..I want them to see it on their own.

Now, Maddie...The main character in this book? There were many times I wanted to shake her, smack her in the back of the head and tell her to
Joleen
Aug 19, 2015 Joleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Okay....THIS is what a novella is supposed to be! I'm not generally a novella reader because they just frustrate me. But since I've read several Diane Moody's books, I picked up three of her Teacup novellas, and I'm so glad I did.
Normally a novella should really be a book. They seem shortened so everything happens too quickly, or there seems to be way too much left out...like the author is in a rush to get it finished so omits a lot of important background, character development and detail.
Not
iamnotabookworm
Sep 27, 2016 iamnotabookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, kindle
Tea with Emma is a story within a story.

The first story is about Maddie Cooper. Maddie just came from a Jane Austen tour from England and was so inspired to start her own English tea shop in Austin,Texas. And like Jane Austen's Emma, she thinks she is a natural matchmaker. Only to find out that she isn't.

I have not read Emma by Jane Austen but because of this book I wanted to read it. Jane Austen is like every girl's favorite writer. I liked Pride and Prejudice but I just hadn't gotten to readi
 Gigi Ann
Jan 31, 2014 Gigi Ann rated it liked it
Fresh from a Jane Austen tour in England, Maddie Cooper returns home to Texas, determined to bring a touch of "Austen to Austin." She dreams of opening an authentic English tea room and, like Austen's Emma, put into practice her self-proclaimed gift as a matchmaker. But an airport mishap with a cranky Englishman gets her off on the wrong foot (quite literally), especially when he moves into the university guest house across the street. Can Maddie find a love for her unapproachable new neighbor, ...more
Duckpondwithoutducks
I read this book because of my sickness (I just can't stop reading books inspired by Jane Austen). This novella is a rough version of Emma by Austen, that takes place in Austin. Only after I finished the book and thought about it could I see the parallels. The main character, Maddie (Emma) is a wannabe matchmaker who takes care of her ailing grandmother (Mr. Woodhouse), and has a friend called Lanie (Harriet) who she tries to fix up with Brad (Mr. Elton) who actually has a thing for Maddie. Then ...more
Debra
Mar 10, 2012 Debra rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
After thinking about this, I need to change my rating from a 4 to a 3. I really enjoyed the book, but it ended so abruptly. It was like the author ran out of material and just wrapped it up in a neat little bow at the end. It reminds of me of how my 11 year old writes. He writes great stories until he gets tired of writing, and then just ends them with a sentence.
Julie
Jan 12, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This was such cute story. The characters were so modern and yet had a Austen feel to them that I just adored. At the end of the story I wished where was another book in the series so I could find out what happened next.
Cyndi
Jul 08, 2015 Cyndi rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own, e-books
The story wasn't very good. I mean, come on, if the the main character had ever read Jane Austen's 'Emma' she would have known not to try matchmaking. The happy endings were despite Emma's machinations. But, the recipes at the end of the book look worth trying. So, there's that...
Kim
A modern, Christian re-telling of Jane Austen's Emma that I enjoyed.
Marcia
May 25, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Love any book that includes tea teacups & romance!!
Diana
Aug 26, 2012 Diana rated it it was ok
The beginning was great, but then it suddenly to a sharp & odd turn. About halfway through it became a heavy-duty Christian book & it just got clunky & awkward from there.
Deborah
Dec 04, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing
A new favorite for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D
I sat down and read it in an afternoon; LOVED IT!!
Tanya
Jul 06, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
Charming contemporary version of EMMA. Lovely story that any Janeite would enjoy. Recipes too!!
Mandy Dubiansky
Mar 08, 2017 Mandy Dubiansky rated it liked it
This was a cute story but definitely unrealistic. Everything wrapped up too neatly. The main character & her best friend were incredibly immature for their age. 3 stars is being overly kind.
Georgiana 1792
Matchmaking in a Tea Room

Questa breve novella si sorseggia come una gradevolissima tazza di tè, è scorrevole e accattivante ma, soprattutto, è un breve e simpatico retelling di Emma, e questo è il principale motivo del mio apprezzamento, lo confesso.
Dubito, infatti, che, se non avessi riconosciuto i personaggi del romanzo di Jane Austen riproposti in chiave moderna, sarei riuscita a godermi questa tazza di tè. Per continuare a usare la metafora del tè, potremmo dire che, in generale, il tè non m
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Sep 30, 2013 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone.. A sweet and perfect companion with tea..
Late night, a good book, warm tea and then some nice dreams.. Ahh life is so good!! :)
I experienced all the above yesterday when I took up "Tea With Emma" when I couldn't sleep. Amidst the silence of the night broken only by the very faint night sounds, I had only my tea and this splendid book for company.

"Tea With Emma" is the first novella in the Teacup Novella series consisting of four books. I loved the way Diane has structured her story. She tells the story through Lucy who is an author ha
Debbie Phillips
Jan 17, 2014 Debbie Phillips rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians - high school to adult that like clean Christian romance
A great book. I really enjoyed it.

Created by Diane Moody the author of the series. I love her writing. She wrote Confessions of a Prayer Slacker, a spiritual non-fiction that I read last year.

A quick read, a short novella. But very well written.

A story within a story. Really cute.

Lucy is an author, writing books based on the tea cups her Aunt left her when she died. She had been struggling with what to write then the tea cups arrived and characters flooded her mind, they vied for her attention
Megan Pegasus
Sep 05, 2013 Megan Pegasus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back-Story: I read this book after my mother having read it while she was on vacation. Since she knew how much I like Jane Austen, she suggested I read this. I downloaded it for free on my Nook (9-6-13). It is also available for free on Kindle as well.

Review: Obviously, it says in the title that this is a novella which basically means that it isn't going to have an incredibly deep plotline and it isn't going to be very long. This book is a little over 100 pages.

Looks- The cover gives you an id
As seen on The Everyday Reader blog

I actually read Tea with Emma about a month ago now, but now seemed the perfect time to review it, as we're in the middle of Austen in August! It's a sweet novella, retelling Austen's Emma in modern Texas. There were aspects of it I really enjoyed and a few, not so much.

Things I loved

The story. It's a clever retelling - Moody doesn't get to bogged down in the details, so while the bones of Emma are definitely there, they don't detract from the modern setting
Kathryn
Apr 07, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I actually started with the second book in the series, and while I wasn't totally lost since each story is a standalone, I think reading this one first might have helped. (The prologue set up the series)

I really like how Ms. Moody set up this series. The prologue and epilogue tell the story of Lucy, a novelist with affections toward a UPS carrier (cute!), and her dog, Gertie. She gets a package from said UPS carrier - Mark; her recently deceased aunt's teacups. Instantly, characters and ideas fl
Joanie Bruce
Sep 14, 2014 Joanie Bruce rated it it was amazing
This story is about an author, Lucy, who writes a book, sparked by a tea cup she receives as part of an inheritance from her beloved Aunt Lucille. The main portions of the book is actually a novella Lucy is writing about a woman named Maddie, who is inspired to open a Tea Shop after returning from a trip to England.

What I liked: I enjoyed this book for three major reasons. 1) The main character, Maddie, was cute, outgoing, passionate, and exciting, and the supporting characters had interesting
Madison Mega-Mara...: #127 - Tea With Emma 1 1 Jul 28, 2015 12:48PM
  • Noble Pursuits
  • Behind Jane Austen's Door
  • Gifts of Life (The Gift Series)
  • Greater Than Rubies (Jewel #1.5)
  • Love's Stormy Gale
  • Beyond the Storm (Quilts of Love, #1)
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt
  • A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3)
  • Love's Image
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
  • Always Yesterday
  • Hearts Crossing (Woodland Church, #1)
  • Fairchild's Lady (The Culper Ring, #1.5)
  • Christmas Roses
  • Cafenova (Clairmont Series #1)
  • Choices of the Heart (The Bradley Sisters #1)
  • A River to Cross
Born in Texas and raised in Oklahoma, Diane Hale Moody is a graduate of Oklahoma State University. She lives with her husband Ken in the rolling hills just outside of Nashville. They are the proud parents of two grown and extraordinary children, Hannah and Ben.

Just after moving to Tennessee in 1999, Diane felt the tug of a long-neglected passion to write again. Since then, she's written a column f
More about Diane Moody...

The Teacup Novellas (5 books)
  • Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas, #2)
  • Home to Walnut Ridge (The Teacup Novellas, #3)
  • At Legend's End (The Teacup Novellas #4)
  • A Christmas Peril (The Teacup Novellas #5)

“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was yourself.” 5 likes
“Move over, Emma Woodhouse. You have met your match.” 1 likes