Start by marking “P.S.: A Novel” as Want to Read:
P.S.: A Novel

P.S.: A Novel

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  30 reviews
What do you do when the fantasy of reuniting with your first love comes true? Especially when he died in a car crash twenty years earlier...

Louise Harrington pines for her youth as she looks out her office window at the quad. Her ten-year marriage ended four years ago, for reasons she has yet to fathom. At thirty-eight she is as confused about the men in her life as she ev
Published May 18th 2001 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about P.S., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P.S.

Sarah Blachman
This was an easy but annoying read. I spend 3 hours a day commuting to work and home, so I have plenty of time to read. My dear sweet roommate bought me this on the guise that this was a really good award winning novel. At least she tried.

This book was horrid! The idea of a dead boyfriend coming back, or a second chance at love is a really neat and could be well thought out idea. But this was just lacking EVERYTHING that neat and well thought out was.

The lead character, Louise, is a vapid self
This book was marked as a best book of 2006 by the library system. I have NO idea why. It was quite possibly one of the dumbest stories I've ever read. Maybe I'm not old enough to get it.....although the main character was 30 so maybe not. In this book, Louis fell in love with a boy in high school but he dumped her for her best friend and then he died in a car accident. She tried to move on - even got married (and divorced) - but no one compared. Then, when she's perusing applications for gradua ...more
The low ratings surprised me but yet I wanted to give this book a chance before of several reasons. For one, I personally never cared about the majority opinion, in fact most books that people praise,I detest,vice versa. Secondly, I like to give every book a chance, there are some rare books that surprise me as I read the story. Lastly, I watched the movie a couple of years ago, it was okay but not all that interesting. I felt that the plot was rushed, nothing really that exciting. As far as the ...more
Lynne Adams
I'm spending some time in a foreign country where English books are hard to come by or I would not have finished this book. Like many other who read the book, I picked it up and brought it halfway across the globe with me because it was a NYT Notable book and the cover included many lauds. Why did it suck? In the words of one of the main characters speaking to the main character: "It isn't funny that you're in your late thirties and you're still mourning some dead punk who treated you like shit. ...more
Hp Tan
This book sucked . There seems to be no better way to put it. I was so taken by the premise of the book at first, reading the blurb. Woahhh, a second chance at a first love... Everything seemed so amazing, it's like it spoke to me. I mean, how many people have wondered about their first love, their first crush, and wished they would do something differently had they the chance again?

The person who wrote the blurb should be applauded. The writer.. should not. I don't even know how to start desc
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"What would you do for a second chance at your first love? At thirty-eight, Louise Harrington still hasn't forgotten Scott Feinstadt, the boy who broke her eighteen-year-old heart and then died tragically in a car crash. Two decades later when his twenty-four-year-old doppelganger, the gorgeously boyish F. Scott Feinstadt, walks into her life, Louise might not know what to think, but this time around, at least she knows what she's doing. Scott still has the power to knock her off her fee
This book got a bad rap. It isn't the best book I have ever read but it certainly wasn't as terrible as people make it out to be. It is a quick read with an annoying ending. It is meant to be a story, just a story about a middle aged woman and some interesting coincidence that happens to her. I enjoyed the story. The ending however felt abrupt and unfinished leaving you wondering! Overall quick read with an interesting story.
An annoying woman thinks a bordering-on-psychotic young man is the reincarnation of her dead high school boyfriend? WTF?
predictable plot with annoying characters.
"When Louise was seventeen her best friend, Missy, stole her first love, Scott Feinstadt, away from her. Then tragedy strikes when Scott dies in a car accident on the way to art school. Missy is left as the ""widower"" girlfriend while Louise is bitter and still very much in love with Scott. Louise's life goes on. The book picks up with Louise as an adult and divorcee. She is now the Admissions Coordinator for Columbia's Art Department and finds herself looking at a file belonging to an ""F. Sco ...more
Swept into the sexy story and relationship issues but ultimately disliked the protagonist too much to love the book. Supporting characters mostly unsavory as well. Also a little hard to believe the premise and the fact that this mature woman could not get over a high school romance.
This review is a bit convoluted, and for that i apologize. The novel itself was so-so. I was a quick read, but I didn't find the characters particularly interesting. I KNEW the characters and could understand the basis of all their intertwined relationships (isn't that what the book is actually about? What shapes our relationships and how they shape us?) but I didn't really LIKE them. I understood their actions and why they did what they did. But I just didn' them. Didn't like their cho ...more
This story is so wistful, powerful and gripping in its longing for lost love. It is the sort of book that makes one question love, fate, destiny and passion. I kept thinking of the one I’d lost and wondering what I’d do if that person walked back into my life. Lyrical, eager and lustful, practically from the very first page when the heroine is musing about all the boys she sees around her, this is the kind of novel that can sweep you off your feet and render you breathless.
Dec 19, 2007 Helen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thirty- or fortysomethings looking for hope (or a second chance) in their lovelives
I'm rather fond of second chances in love, but color me jaded...I don't believe in them anymore. Well, the idea of entertaining and encouraging hope seems kind of misleading.

I didn't care too much for the story or the characters; in fact, I don't feel like the protagonist really grew or learned much at the end. Mainly I just liked the premise. I can see how someone much older than me might like the premise, too.
At first, I was really not into this story. It was hard to know whether to accept it as allegory, or to buy some supernatural aspect. That debate turned out to be an unnecessary distraction. The novel has been surprising in the way that it has made me think about love as a loved one ages and grows... it postulates that love shouldn't want a loved one to stay young forever, but to eventually grow old.
Reminds me of Mrs. Calaban. A divorced woman with a long dead boyfriend from high school meets "him" again and falls in love. Lots of fun with her conniving best friend Missy, her sex-addict husband George and F. Scott - the reincarnation of her old boyfriend. An easy read with high entertainment value. Took no time to plow through this story.
If there were half stars, I'd give this three and a half, it was a good book. What an interesting concept - a young man comes into the narrator's life that has the same name and the same face as a boy she loved in high school that died. It toes the line of ghosts/etc without going all the way into supernatural.
I started to read this book in a store and only was able to read the first few pages but it got me hooked. Then when i saw it on a discount books table a few months later I immediately picked it up! Its a great fun read for the summer about love/lust/college romances.
It's a miss---skip it
I'm sort of neutral about this book. While I didn't really buy into the story line I did find myself reading it pretty quickly and not wanting to put it down.

I guess I would call it a mildly entertaining short read if you are looking for something light to read.
Ayelet Waldman
This is a nice novel, and I liked it very much, but I saw the movie first, and the movie is exactly, precisely faithful. So it was a little bizarre to read the book. I'm not going to make that mistake again. Book first. Movie after.
Louise gets a second chance at her first love when she meets his doppelganger many years later. All characters in this story lacked any sort of passion such subject might be inclined to have.
Suzanne Macartney
Aug 21, 2007 Suzanne Macartney rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction
Total diversion. Fun. Old romance comes back to haunt. Art student and admissions officer. Made into a film with Laura Linney.
I dug Helen Schulman's beautiful prose more than the strange and, for me at least, somewhat disappointing storyline.
Beautifully descriptive, warm, and realistic considering the coincidental plot.
Funny in parts, though the author likes to repeat certain words and phrases too much.
fluffy, but good, story about possible reincarnation of an old love
The idea was a little weird but it was a nice quick read.
This is a perfectly crafted novel. Loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • El diario rojo de Carlota
  • Bicoastal Babe
  • Help Wanted, Desperately
  • Hollywood Hunk (A True Hollywood Lies Novel)
  • Crónicas de la Torre
  • Emily's Reasons Why Not
  • Passport Diaries
  • White Palace
  • True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess
  • Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z.
  • Das Drachentor
  • Summer in the City
  • Firespell and Hexbound (The Dark Elite, #1-2)
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • The Missing World
  • Spain for the Sovereigns (Isabella and Ferdinand, #2)
  • Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors