Start by marking “Secret Of Letting Go” as Want to Read:
Secret Of Letting Go

Secret Of Letting Go

Llewellyn is proud to present the revised and expanded edition of our best-selling self-help book, The Secret of Letting Go by Guy Finley. Featuring an attractive new cover and fresh material, this Finley classic has been updated inside and out.

With more than 200,000 copies sold, Guy Finley's message of self-liberation has touched people around the world. Discover how to

Published (first published July 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Of Letting Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Of Letting Go

Lenore Skomal
Sep 13, 2012 Lenore Skomal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did some more self help reading with this one. But I have to admit, if you have ever wondered about what it means to "let go," this is the guy to listen to. I found a lot of what he teaches to be very, very helpful. It's very much the same message of Eckhart Tolle and living in the now. But what's helpful about Finley is that he's not "channeling" his message. I have found Tolle sometimes tough to read because of the way he writes. Finley's writing is much more approachable. And what I found par ...more
Ris
Jan 09, 2009 Ris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's corny and the writing can be confounding at times, but I loved the underlying thoughts, and it is helping me let go!
Audrey
Awesome, powerful. May need to re-read it, there was alot to take in
Lisa
Jan 10, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book was a great motivation, however a lot of it seems redundant.
Yes, this book is a bit abstract, but easier to follow if you have a religious background. No, you don't have to be religious to read the book.

This book was a great motivation for me, but may not be for you.

It is about letting go of negative self talk and looking inward to solve problems. It's the idea that problems aren't solved by trying to change others and your struggles have to do with you and not other people's mistakes
Joe Newell
Sep 15, 2011 Joe Newell rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if I've read all of Guy's books or not, but I've certainly read most of them. I am lucky enough to live in the same area as Guy, and get to hear him speak to a group weekly. He is truly amazing and legitimate. He is all about the truth and seeing life as it is. He has been intensely studying and lecturing on self awareness for more than thirty years. If he puts a pen to it, it is worth reading.

However, here is the caveat: it's no "straighten out your life in 30 seconds" program. It
Iona  Stewart
Aug 10, 2011 Iona Stewart rated it did not like it
I absolutely appreciate the importance of letting go, but I didn't understand a word of this book. At least I understood all the words and the sentences, but not what the author was really on about. So I couldn't finish the book or even get past the first two chapters.

I see the book got a lot of great reviews on amazon.com, so my lack of comprehension must have something, or everything, to do with me. Anyway, just wanted to state my opinion.
Karen Zelano
Jan 24, 2015 Karen Zelano rated it it was ok
let go of this book

Not a common sense point of view. Lots of idealistic ramblings, parables ad universal spiritualism.mVery woo woo, which would be ok, if it made sense. The author seems to have too much to say, yet keeps making the same point repeatedly.
Paul Wilder
Jul 02, 2007 Paul Wilder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Interested in Dissolving Suffering
This book initiated in me a transformation of consciousness that is still very much in process to this day, over two years later. I had no idea at the time a mistakenly found it that it would change my life forever, but I am thankful for the clarity of its simplicity.
Tiffany Kay
Dec 11, 2012 Tiffany Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the most profound books I have ever read. I found I needed to take it in small chunks to let the words really integrate. I made copious notes that helped me to really appreciate the messages.
Susan
Aug 14, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information - flagged quite a few passasges. Wording and language really drag - actually set this aside for 3 or 4 years before finishing recently
Carlton Brown
Jun 03, 2015 Carlton Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a profoundly interesting and mind-expanding read, and one I would recommend if healing and spiritual awakening are on your life agenda. Guy is conveying concepts of the “higher self” (most of us have zero experience nor language of this), in words accessible to the lower self (ego mind; wherefrom most of us originate our life experiences and whose interests are not best served by reading this book!) from which we are to awaken-transform. This makes it “complex” to understand, relati ...more
Dean
I found this book to have a motivational energy at the time of reading, and to offer a lot of positive, well-meaning tips in terms of real self-transformation. Ideas such as self-observation and monitoring are introduced, and the idea of surrender/letting go of our habitual self-sabotaging patterns. Beyond this, however, I feel the book (and GF's books in general) are of limited use without real-life interraction with him or his system (or that of Vern Howard).. without specific training and pra ...more
Jacqueline
Mar 03, 2015 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring and definitely helpful.

I learned about the false self and how it plays out in the mind on a daily basis, and this is why we have to recognize what it is that is guiding us falsely. I do have to read again because to be enlightened with this kind of knowledge is not purely seen right away. I also loved Mr. Finley giving examples when he sets out to make his point clear - not every author of such subjects can do this so nicely. I loved that part of the author's writing. On the other
Shawn Nguyen
Jul 14, 2009 Shawn Nguyen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I brought this book about five years ago and have read it numerous times. This book has been my great companion that has walked me out of my personal mess and depression. I met the author, Guy Finley, in Texas at one of his retreat. The Secret of Letting Go illustrates very simple truths and if we slowed down a bit we would see them. What this book also did was it introduced me to a whole new world of spirituality. I am proud to say The Secret of Letting Go was able to open up my mind and a simp ...more
Hettienne
Aug 06, 2014 Hettienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this and all of Guy Finley's books twenty years ago. Then he was one of the few voices in the modern arena of Self-realization. His books are well-written, clear and contains brilliant insights into the inner journey which could only be known to those who have walked the path. if you are looking for a true path to clarity and peace, you will find it in his books - they are all worth your time and energy
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 Will Jeffries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His words are deep and very reflecting; Oftentimes though, there are shades of harshness in his voice - like he is screaming at you or frustrated that you are not getting the information he is transmitting to you. Kindof weird; but he is still enjoyable to listen to; You have to really listen for the kernals of truth/nuggest of wisdom sprinkled in his recordings and books.
Facil Feye
Dec 20, 2012 Facil Feye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explains in pretty detail about how our emotions and reactions to events can lead us to self-destruct and affect our behavior. But more importantly, it outlines how to deal with difficult situations, how to rely on ourselves instead of others and how to manage our lives with clear mind unaffected by other events.
Katrin
Hard to read somehow, but I guess I wasn't smart enough to let go of my old way of thinking or adapting new knowledge coming from the book. But it had good points and stories to remember and maybe I'll read it again some day..
Jimmy
Mar 15, 2015 Jimmy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would think it wouldn't be so difficult to "let go"...This book, to me, is a difficult read. I guess I could learn the secret of it if I could comprehend what the author is trying to convey. It is way over my simple mind..or maybe it's just a bunch of gibberish.

May Margarita
May 16, 2011 May Margarita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the ideas and the way he presents it. However, I think he needs more background information to the reader about the "now" he referred to. Maybe finishing the book, "The Power of Now" will help accommodate better understanding.
Dru
Jan 02, 2013 Dru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me months to read this book, primarily because it is jam packed with dense material that often tough to wade through However, I think Guy Finley has a lot of great advice about how to live a healthy life. This book will be kept on my shelf and re-read again.
Kimberly
The secret of letting go is more for someone just getting started in their journey to self discovery, in a mundane sort of way. I need something more than this offers but it would be suitable for others.
Walthree
I did not benefit from this book. Too many stories about how others may have been able to let go. I did not find where there were steps for you to go through to let go of experiences or feeling you may have trapped inside you.
Natalie
Feb 06, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wondered, "What are the unconscious, negative beliefs that are holding me back?" this book is for you. By far, the clearest, most helpful self-help book I have ever read; and I've read many.
Tatiana
Oct 27, 2011 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So incredibly helpful. I feel 10x as in touch with my spirituality and 100x more joyous and relaxed as I did before I started! Highly recommended to everyone.
Bonnie
Feb 24, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The is a self-help book and helps the reader to overcome negativity, self-defeating behaviors, and to live in the wonderful present. I review it a lot!
Alf Dunbar
Mar 29, 2013 Alf Dunbar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book, found it very different to most 'self help' books. Would recommend it, especially to someone going through a challenging time in their life and who wants to move on.
Travis
Feb 03, 2016 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was probably too long, but I did enjoy the cool stories Finley tells to get his point across.
Fayafi M
رائع الكتاب. مُدهش. كأنه مرسول لي هدية هذا وهو له مدري كم في رف المكتبة.. بس واضح قريته في الوقت المناسب تمامًا :)
المهتمين بالتنمية الذاتية.. لا يفوتكم :)
Jeannette
Loved chapter 1 - started skipping sections in chapter 4 - then skipping entire chapters. Couldn't finish. But I loved chapter 1!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Who Are You Meant to Be?: A Groundbreaking Step-By-Step Process for Discovering and Fulfilling Your True Potential
  • Tiny Buddha: Simple Wisdom for Life's Hard Questions
  • Why Your Life Sucks
  • The Happy Book: A Journal to Celebrate What Makes You Happy
  • Staying on the Path
  • Becoming a Professional Life Coach: Lessons from the Institute of Life Coach Training
  • Time Tactics of Very Successful People
  • Instant Happy: 10-Second Attitude Makeovers
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations
  • The Compassionate Life: Walking the Path of Kindness
  • I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing After the Sudden Death of a Loved One
  • Use Your Perfect Memory: Dramatic New Techniques for Improving Your Memory
  • Fearless Leadership: High-Performance Lessons from the Flight Deck
  • Love Is a Verb: And Other Thoughts on the Greatest Commandment
  • The Sustainable Edge: 15 Minutes a Week to a Richer Entrepreneurial Life
  • A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds: Make the Inside of Your Head Your Favorite Place to Be
  • The Age of Speed: Learning to Thrive in a More-Faster-Now World
  • The Power of Impossible Thinking: Transform the Business of Your Life and the Life of Your Business [With CDROM]
BEST-SELLING "LETTING GO" author Guy Finley's encouraging and accessible message is one of the true bright lights in our world today. His ideas go straight to the heart of our most important personal and social issues -- relationships, success, addiction, stress, peace, happiness, freedom -- and lead the way to a higher life.

Finley is the acclaimed author of The Secret of Letting Go, The Essential
More about Guy Finley...

“You must learn to stop thinking in terms of beginnings and endings, successes and failures, and begin to treat everything in your life as a learning experience instead of a proving one.” 6 likes
“But you can't be saying I should walk away from everything I have worked for all my life?"
"No, I am not. What I am saying is that we need to take a much closer look at what we have been calling our life."
"To what purpose?"
"To see if it is really ours. Once we know what is authentically our own, then we also know what to keep and protect and what to let go.”
4 likes