Start by marking “Underwater To Get Out of the Rain: A Love Affair with the Sea An Odyssey in Search of Shores” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  19 reviews
On a hot summer's day there could be no quicker transport to the seaside than Trevor Norton's cool and entrancing account of a lifetime's adventures under or near the water. Norton's eye for the bizarre, amazing, and beautiful inhabitants of the oceans, and the eccentric characters who work, study, and live by the shore make his book a wonder-filled experience. An intrepid ...more
Published July 28th 2005 by Century (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Underwater To Get Out of the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underwater To Get Out of the Rain

Alicia
This is a lighthearted look at the life of a marine biologist who fell in love with the sea at fourteen and never looked back. I have very little idea of the author's family life or personal triumphs or disappointments and I couldn't write a resume for him but I feel like I got to know the core person, his humor, his most interesting work moments and his professional "high" points.

This is one of those autobiographies with a style that I like very much. Interesting stories that if done well are i
Mitch
Mr. Norton- I want to call him Trevor because his style is very informal- writes about his life and mixes it together with oceanic biology and historical anecdotes. This would work better if it wasn't as choppy as the waves he occasionally describes, his hit-and-miss humor, and his brief descriptions of friends/colleagues who come to abrupt, horrible deaths shortly after being introduced. Don't go out of your way to read this one.
Frank Ryan
This book heralds another delightful marine adventure by Norton, who has written two other beautifully crafted, and wonderfully humorous, books about the characters he has met, and some of the adventures he has had, in a lifetime as a marine biologist. It starts out with his memories of his childhood home, on St Mary's Island, Northumberland, before whisking us away to a series of globally-based adventures: Devon, via Liverpool to the island of Anglesey, North Wales, to his first encounter with ...more
Shane
I picked up this book in the airport on the west coast and I loved it. Right up my alley as a non-fiction. My daughter is studying anthropology and this book taught me so much in that vain. The author tells stories of his travels and explorations - studies. Many of the countries or areas that he explores brought new insight and were indeed foreign territory in my mind. Some of the stories were sad. Some were a bit scary or risky. Interesting and a great book for anyone interested in this sort of ...more
Sarah J. Belcher
Jul 30, 2011 Sarah J. Belcher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who enjoys searching the tide pools on the beach.
I love this book. I wish I had the drive to do some of the things that the author has done! I found myself highlighting passage after passage in this book, my favorite being:

My love affair with the sea would lead me to walk on empty shores before the tourists invaded. And I would come to know the ocean as a wild aquarium, a laboratory, a cemetery for men and ships, and an anthology of legends. I would understand the spell it casts on fisherman, divers, treasure seekers and writers, for the the s
Kenno82
I'd previously read Stars Beneath the Sea by Trevor Norton and found his writing style quite enjoyable and punctuated with humour. While the overall book wasn't entirely compelling, I did have high hopes for this one. Norton's humour is still present, but I found the rambling nature of his anecdotes frustrating and hard to follow. Even within small chapters, there didn't seem to be anything that tied it all together. Again though, his writing can be very funny at times and he's a great character ...more
Trevor Hall
I'd say that marine scientists and ecologists might enjoy this book more than the acuba diver. It's pretty much an autobiography and although Norton can be a funny guy, his humour doesn't come through often enough to make the book interesting. Also, a major drawback is that his research was mainly conducted in cold water climates, and a fair bit of it out of the water, on the shoreline. At least the short chapters make it a book that's easy to put down and pick up again.
Stacy P
This book covers an array of natural history, all pertaining to the real-life underwater adventures I wish I was having. It's extremely informative, but he manages to hide the data inside the stories, so I didn't realize how much knowledge I was taking in until I found myself bringing up the subjects in everyday conversation. A definite recommendation to any natural science enthusiast.
Doug
Charming, a delightful reminiscence of a lifetime of diving all over the globe by a marine biologist, but with a healthy dose of travel writing, local history, anthropology, mythology, and just plain good storytelling. Not at all a heavyweight book, but was told in a friendly voice, like you were listening to your grandfather spin yarns on the front porch.
Avocados
This book is all short chapters, each a little story. It was like going out to the bar with a marine biologist and having him tell you stories of his adventures. Lots of little jokes and funny tid-bits about his life. Yet, as a whole it did not captivate me and I found myself slogging through, determined to finish.
Nicole
This was a charming memoir. I enjoyed (for the most part) Norton's sense of humour, and he was very good at giving the reader a sense of why he found certain things interesting. He does seem overly inclined to tell stories about unexpected deaths, though.
Cindy C
I read this book once at a time in life where I had too much on my mind and couldn't pay attention. I just gave it a second chance and I am so glad I did. lovely pictures are painted in this text and it brings you mentally to the sea.
Breelan
I didn't finish this. He had some good stories but there was something about his old-school style of writing that had me cringing. I do not like reading about dolphins raping people as if it were the most hilarious thing ever.
Hope W
I really enjoyed this book and would compare it to Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods - except for the fact that it has to deal with water. It is very informative, but a good read at the same time.
Jillian
I wish I'd written this book...
...because the title is perfect.
...because I totally ID'd with the author's complete abandon when it comes to the ocean.
...because it's gorgeous.
Myradith
An autobiographical account from a British marine biologist and scuba diver. A nice blend of humor and science and a bit of history of diving.
Kitty
Very factual, and funny too. As far as Biographies go it wasn't too slow, but I believe you have to enjoy the topic to get through the book.
Chris
Short chapters of life as a marine biologist, all done with undiminished wonder.
Elizabeth
This is a great book though I am a bit biased as an aspiring marine biologist myself.
Gonçalo Bioucas
Gonçalo Bioucas marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Mohammad Arif
Mohammad Arif marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jhauptma
Jhauptma marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Ashley Bergman
Ashley Bergman marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Gabi Polkes
Gabi Polkes marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Smoking Ears and Screaming Teeth Stars Beneath the Sea: The Pioneers of Diving Reflections On A Summer Sea Imagination and a Pile of Junk Underwater To Get Out Of The Rain: A Love Affair with the Sea