Kat Kong

Kat Kong

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Doctor Varmint and his beautiful assistant, Rosie Rodent, have made--and captured--a stunning scientific discovery: the mighty Kat Kong. But when he breaks free from his shackles and tears through the streets of Mousopolis, there's no stopping his terrifying rampage. Is anyone clever enough to halt this massive meowing menace?
Published August 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Kat Kong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kat Kong

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
84th out of 321 books — 149 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Clay Lion by Amalie JahnCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Viking's Apprentice by Kevin McLeod
Best Children's/ Young Adult Fiction
185th out of 231 books — 164 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan
A purrfectly pleasant tale of kitty dominance -- I am pawsitive that this is the best book about a giant cat I've read all year!

Amar Pai
You know this whole book was just an excuse to use this photo:

Ann
Nov 02, 2008 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann by: Katie and Quasar!
Funny, creative book! Made up of pictures and drawings Pilkey takes the classic King Kong story and turns it into a children's book with cats and mice. Some of the puns are a "little cheesy" and the ending might upset sensitive young children (follows the King Kong vein to the end), but it's quite amusing and delightful pictures!:D
Kathryn
Oct 30, 2008 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Quasar (thanks!)
Good, silly fun! Tyler and I enjoyed reading this together, laughing at the absurd puns and hilarious pictures of the cat! He looks like our neighbor kitty, and I think Pandy has worn that expression a few times, too! :-p
Mayda
I admit it. I bought this book when my kids were young...but not for them. I fell hard for Kat Kong, and if you like cats - or old movies - you will, too. The humor abounds, even in the fine print that assures that no animals were harmed in the making of the book. The pictures are darling, and story is one that you'll enjoy time and again. There is a moral to be learned...not that MY cats ever have! Don't miss this picture book: Borrow a kid to read it to, if you're afraid to read it alone!
Ryan
You don't have to be a cat owner to enjoy this book, but it helps.
The kids LOVED it.
Mostly I just wondered how they got those cats to stay in those positions while they took pictures.
Thanks for the recommend, Amy.
Katherine
The puns are FABULOUS (in that they are so bad they are amazing). A treasured yard-sale find.
Steph
The best! Laughed so hard through this book!
Nicole
"When they reached the island, the three mouse explorers were astonished. A group of natives was performing an ancient ceremony, offering up a sacrificial can of tuna fish and repeating a mysterious chant:

"Heeeeer, Ki-tiee Ki-tee!
Heeeeer, Ki-tiee Ki-tee!
Heeeeer, Ki-tiee Ki-tee Ki-tee!"

Nothing makes me laugh out loud like this book <3 The photos are brilliant. The nuances of meaning in the text are incredible.

This is the type of book that is perfect for book talking and primary school-age sto...more
Brooke
very funny
Halley Todd
Kat Kong has been out of the bag for around 18 years, but this comical re-telling of King Kong still holds the power to tickle and delight readers of all ages. The story begins when three mice explorers travel to an uncharted island. On that island, they find Kat Kong: a giant cat! They capture Kat Kong, and take him back to Mousopolis. During the unveiling, Kat Kong breaks out of his bonds and escapes to the top of Romano Inn, with beautiful Rosie Rodent. However, Captain Limburger tricked Kat...more
Michael Koreis
Kat Kong is a re-write of the famous King Kong. In this rendition Captain Charles Limburger is the captain of the boat, accompanied by Vincent Varmint and Rosie Rodent. They find native mice luring out Kat Kong with a can of tuna. They capture Kat Kong and take him back to Mousopolis. At this point in the book Rosie and Vincent have an argument about whether they should leave him in hit habitat because taking him for scientific curiosity is wrong or whether to take him and make a lot of money of...more
Hannah Schweiter
Kat Kong is a spoof on the film King Kong. In this rendition Captain Charles Limburger is the captain of the boat, accompanied by Vincent Varmint and Rosie Rodent. They find native mice luring out Kat Kong with a can of tuna. They capture Kat Kong and take him back to Mousopolis. At this point in the book Rosie and Vincent have an argument about whether they should leave him in hit habitat because taking him for scientific curiosity is wrong or whether to take him and make a lot of money off of...more
Sarah Sammis
I saw a copy of Kat Kong by Dav Pilkey in the bookstore and had to grab it. The cover shows a tuxedo house cat looming over a city skyline. Having seen King Kong more times than I can count, you can understand why I laughed and then squeed.

Kat Kong is the sequel (apparently) to Dog Zilla but I haven't read it. I'm not as much of a dog person as I am a cat person. Besides, King Kong came first!

In this version Dr. Varmint and his assistant Rosie Rodent have made and captured a giant cat monster. L...more
Sharyn Craft
For any fan of King Kong, this book was written for you. Follows the movie very closely, only with mice as the people and a cat as the ape. So cute for kids to read and I got a kick out of it. Makes me want to watch the movie now.
Amy
Kat Kong was so funny! I loved this book, and was impressed with how relatively true to King Kong it was (with large cat in place of large ape, and tiny mice in place of tiny people, of course).

My niece and nephew aren't familiar with King Kong, so Kat Kong was an entirely new experience for them, and they enjoyed the tale tremendously. They were completely engaged by this story, but of course, some of the parody was lost on them.

My nephew did allow his true nature to come through, however, whe...more
Joseph
Kat Kong was an amusing tail following the story line of King Kong however, rather than a large ape it is a cat in a world of mice. Very amusing and made me chuckle through the whole book. Enjoyable and easy to read.
Terry
Aug 16, 2011 Terry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a good clean laugh.
Shelves: funny
Dav Pilkey never fails to make me laugh!

"Kat Kong" is his take on 'King Kong' of course, and Mr. Pilkey remains true to form with this one. With a little help from some of his furry friends and several small props, he has masterfully re-created an army to fight the villainous "Kat Kong". You must see and experience Mr. Pilkey's creative genius for yourself.

Warning for parents, guardians, teachers and librarians: These are not just your kids' books anymore. Proceed to read these with extreme cau...more
Sybil
Jul 03, 2014 Sybil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cats
Based on King Kong, Kat Kong is fun story full of great pictures and great character names.
Mia Balsamo
PB18: Let me begin by saying how much I love the illustrations of this book. I think it was a genius idea to mix actual pictures of mice and a cat (kat kong) with illustrations. This is one of those times when the illustrations make the book for me. I think it is so funny that moments when the mice should have a frightened face do not, because they are mice. Besides the illustrations I also think the writing was funny. The author uses common phrases such as "we don't want to let the cat out of t...more
Amanda
Dude, it's about a giant cat. Of course I loved it when I read it as a kid.
Elise
Loved these books when I was a kid circa 1993, so cute.
Suburban Homeschooler
Pretty hilarious!
Charlie
I got this book from Barnes and Noble and while I was waiting I couldn't wait for my book to come because it sounded so amazing! And it was! Kat Kong is a fine book that is super funny. Kat Kong (TITLE) Dav Pilkey (AUTHOR) and a great book to read.
Dolly
Oct 17, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a funny take on the "King Kong" story. The mice of Mousopolis have captured Kat Kong and they have him on display. After all, he cannot get free, right? It's a silly tale, full of cliches and funny illustrations. This is one of those books for children that have some subtle adult humor that goes above the kids heads, but is entertaining for the parents reading it.
Hayden
I will be sure not to "let the cat out of the bag" by keeping my review short and sweet. The use of puns in this book is magnificent, and the clear use of live-action photos and background drawings takes me back to the days of Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I am very glad that my daughter picked up this book for a mere penny at the local library. What an excellent find!
Jackie "the Librarian"
I love old monster movies and cats, so there is no way I could NOT like this book. Pilkey enlisted his own pets to play the roles, and I think he made liberal use of catnip to give the cat Blueberry's performance that "method acting" quality. His goofy expressions in his portrayal of the monster are priceless! Horrible puns and jokes make this one of my favorites.
Lynne
This humorous book was a great hit with a five-year old. The pictures are great, but there is also a bit more plot to the story than with many picture books. Even if some of the puns were above his head, they certainly made it more enjoyable for the adult reader. We are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the companion book "Dogzilla" at the library.
Carol Royce Owen
OK, maybe it's because I'm a cat lover, I can't give this book a 4 or 5 star rating. Maybe if the ending was different. But even still, I think I liked Dogzilla much better. The use of idioms are funny and clever, as usual for Dav Pilkey, and the pictures are a riot...but...but...the ending??!!!??? Oh my!
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • Slugs in Love
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs
  • Angus and the Cat
  • Santa Duck
  • Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook (Picture Puffin Books)
  • Chick 'n' Pug
  • Where Do Balloons Go?
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Big Chickens
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Mooseltoe
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • For the Love of Autumn
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...
The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (Captain Underpants, #2) The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4) Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds (Captain Underpants, #3)

“Never trust anyone, Daniel, especially the people you admire. Those are the ones who will make you suffer the worst blows.” 2 likes