Start by marking “Nothing... Except My Genius” as Want to Read:
Nothing... Except My Genius

Nothing... Except My Genius

'I have nothing to declare', Wilde once told an American customs official, 'except my genius'. A socialite, a wit, a man who flaunted convention and was unafraid to shock, Oscar Wilde was a great writer and a great man. This collection demonstrates the brilliance of his vision, the audacity of his style.
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 112 pages
Published October 2nd 1997 by Not Avail (first published September 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing... Except My Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing... Except My Genius

Gerry
Jun 09, 2012 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is well worth its five-star rating if for nothing else than the lengthy introduction entitled 'Playing Oscar' by Stephen Fry!

Fry tells us that he has not known a time in his life when he was not aware of Oscar Wilde (my daughter could probably empathise with him for when young she would listen to 'The Trials of Oscar Wilde' - the book I was then reading - when she was going to sleep as I decided it was the sound of my voice rather than the story content that lulled her to sleep!) and he
Lia
Oscar, wat heb je toch een wicked sense of humor. Altijd fijn om te herlezen op een zondagochtend. Nu verder met een andere favoriet:

Women love us for our defects. If we have enough of them, they will forgive us everything, even our intellects.
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891
Kristin
Oct 10, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would only recommend this if you're considering reading a book by Wilde, but you're not sure. This book is a decent way to determine whether or not you'll like his other works.
Ioannis Savvas
Aug 18, 2016 Ioannis Savvas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο τίτλος τα λέει όλα. Καταπληκτικές σκέψεις, πανέξυπνες φράσεις, απαράμιλλο χιούμορ. Δεν έχω να δηλώσω τίποτα, παρά μόνο "γοητευμένος".
Danae
May 21, 2016 Danae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un corazón sensible y anarquista.
Como yo jjjj
Sofia
Nov 08, 2015 Sofia rated it really liked it
Genius as always!
Anne Cullen-wright
Mar 30, 2015 Anne Cullen-wright rated it it was ok
Obviously the quotes are wonderful, but too much space (nearly a third of the book) given to Steven Fry's boring foreward.
Maria Chatzistogianni
Aug 06, 2016 Maria Chatzistogianni rated it really liked it
It is basically a collection of quotes. Albeit interesting quotes, most of them on the wise side. Worth the read.
Aasem Bakhshi
Jan 22, 2014 Aasem Bakhshi rated it it was ok
For that matter who doesn't acknowledge that Wilde was a misunderstood genius, but one wonders what this hotch-potch was meant to serve to a reader. Its definitely readable but probably by a 15 year old who might want to have a collection of Wilde's quotable quotes on bedside. Its hard to imagine that its a Penguin 'classic'.
Kate
Feb 20, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-2014, poetry
Admittedly, my favourite part was the introduction by Stephen Fry. Overall there were some really good quotes and some I'm not too fond of. I have every intention of reading more of Wilde's work and perhaps even getting through more than the first 20 pages of The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Tom
Aug 03, 2011 Tom rated it it was ok
Simply a collection of quotes from a misunderstood genius. Hard to truly get a grasp about the man himself from this collection alone. I now want to read some of his works to gain a better understanding.
Halo
Nov 25, 2013 Halo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It would be unfair to expect other people to be as remarkable as oneself."

Good God, Oscar Wilde fascinates me so.
Beryl
Jul 24, 2012 Beryl rated it really liked it
I was expecting a thicker, longer book. Its a good one, but shouldve been revised and improved before marketed. ...more
Mugren Al-Ohaly
Apr 12, 2013 Mugren Al-Ohaly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Although interesting, the contents of this book can easily be found in an internet post.
Sofia
Jul 13, 2013 Sofia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked a lot of the quotes, but didn't like the format of the book.
Veronika Kaufmann
A book I carry with me always. Nothing but genius.
CJ
CJ marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Kat
Kat added it
Sep 11, 2016
Marleen Bakardjiev
Marleen Bakardjiev marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Jazzmyn Blu
Jazzmyn Blu marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Deborah Mike
Deborah Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Charis
Charis rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Tsholofelo Pooe
Tsholofelo Pooe rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Francesca Read
Francesca Read rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Nakaya
Nakaya marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Luz Franco
Luz Franco marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Diana Marini
Diana Marini marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
  • A Bottomless Grave & Other Victorian Tales of Terror
  • English Romantic Poetry
  • Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker
  • My Secret Life: An Erotic Diary of Victorian London
  • City of Dreadful Delight: Narratives of Sexual Danger in Late-Victorian London
  • De mensheid zij geprezen: Lof der Zotheid 2001
  • Modern Baptists
  • Idols of Perversity: Fantasies of Feminine Evil in Fin-de-Siècle Culture
  • Victorian People and Ideas
  • The Child Of Pleasure
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...