Start by marking “Rain Falls Like Mercy” as Want to Read:
Rain Falls Like Mercy

Rain Falls Like Mercy

Set against the sweeping backdrop of World War II, Rain Falls Like Mercy is a gripping depiction of a family and a country touched by the grand violence of war, the senseless violence of crime, and the intimate violence of the heart.

IN THE TRADITION OF TRUE CRIME narratives such as In Cold Blood, acclaimed author Jack Todd’s new novel grips the reader from the first page;
Published (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rain Falls Like Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain Falls Like Mercy

Mary
Jan 09, 2017 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A western/WWII novel mix. Murder brings many lives together across generations and borders. A fairly fast read; interesting.
Jacki
Jack Todd returns to the Paint family, the central characters of his previous novels, Sun Going Done and Come Again No More, in a taut crime thriller with a dash of family saga set against the backdrop of World War II.

When a hired hand on the Paints' Wyoming ranch finds a girl's savaged corpse in an outbuilding, Sheriff Tom Call has only one clue to go on--the sadistic killer's shoe size. A distracting affair with Juanita, the beautiful, neglected younger wife of the Paint family patriarch, furt
Karen
Jan 04, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

First off, I really like the title! It's descriptive and clever. This is the third book in Jack Todd's series about the Paint family and I don't think it's necessary that you have read the first two in the series. I enjoyed this read, I thought the characters were well written and the story line well plotted. But I think the publisher's comparison to "narratives such as In Cold Blood" is a bit of a stretch. I don't want to over-sell this book, but I don't want to under rate it either.

Set in 1941
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two Spuds was out riding the fence line for 8T8, when he decided to go into a shack to warm up as the temperature is dropping. Two Spuds approaches the shack, he smells a foul odor. He quickly discovers the source of the smell. It is a young girl. She has been raped and her throat slit. Two Spuds goes back to the main ranch and his boss, Eli Paint calls the sheriff, Tom Call.

Tom is enthralled by Eli’s young wife, Juanita. Soon, Tom and Juanita are having an affair. Things change when the Japane
Mirella
May 04, 2013 Mirella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rain Falls Like Mercy is the third edition in Jack Todd 19s trilogy about the Paint family. You do not necessarily need to read the first two in order to enjoy this third book, but I suspect you will wish to do so after you read this one.

This story takes place in 1941 during World War II in a small Wyoming town where the murder investigation of a slain teen girl is underway.

The town sheriff, Tom Call, must forego his investigation when Pearl Harbour is bombed and he soon finds himself in the U
Dan
Nov 22, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the American West during the time around World War II, this novel follows Sheriff Tom Call’s quest to find the murderer of a young runaway. But when Pearl Harbor is attacked he becomes a pilot for the Air Force, but is still determined to capture the person he suspects is the killer. To add to this, Tom is in love with the wife of a rancher, and they would have run off together if it weren’t for the war.

With other characters in the mix and many years accumulating, the buildup to what coul
Kathy
Dec 04, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish that I had read Sun Going Down and Come Again No More because Jack Todd is an amazing writer. You do not need to have read his first two novels to be able to enjoy Rain Falls Like Mercy. What an amazing title and what an incredible read.

Rain Falls Like Mercy is partly a history novel as it is set during World War II. It is also a story of love and a murder investigation as well. Jack Todd's writing style makes Wyoming come alive for the reader. The story can be violent at times so be warn
Sally
Mar 08, 2012 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read Jack Todd's first two novels. Much of his writing is built upon his family history. Part of this novel is about a very evil man, who
kills senselessly who lived in the Wyoming, Nebraska area in the 1940's. WWII interrupts and the author then goes on to Bobby Watson, who
is serving on the " Tennessee" when the attack occurs on Pearl Harbor and Tom Call who is flying planes over Germany. Be warned, thus book
contains much violence and sexually content. So may not be everyone's read.

Guna
Dec 19, 2011 Guna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This novel opens with the murder of a young girl in Wyoming in 1941. The police detective in charge of the investigation cannot let it rest, and continues looking for the perpetrator. A string of murders follows, and Detective Call only has a clue of 'baby feet' to follow. Todd's depiction of the various characters is riveting.
Janschie
Feb 12, 2012 Janschie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One mark of a good book is how much you remember a few weeks later. This book was ineresting - an original plot. But to be honest, I can't remember much more - the reason I give it two stars - others rate it more highly.
My Book Views
Dec 14, 2011 My Book Views rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times the descriptions were gratuitous; I could’ve done without details about Pardo’s exploits. But the narrative was gripping as it set a murderous spree against an illicit romance in the time of war.
Lois
Jun 16, 2012 Lois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the previous two books in the series, I was not disappointed in the story, plot, characterizations and overall quality of the story. Good read.
John
Mar 06, 2013 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, mystery, ww2, 2013
A sex obsessed mish mash of a book that can't decide if it is a murder mystery, a western, a story of illicet love and a WW2 saga. Not worth the time to finish it.
Robin Logan
May 21, 2012 Robin Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just discovered this author by accident. This is the last book of a trilogy so now I want to read the rest. Set in the U.S. West. Well written with some unforgettable characters.
Katie G.
I'm enjoying this book a lot and the characters are very interesting, but I wish that I had read his other two books prior to reading this, "Sun Going Down" and "Come Again No More."
Jan
Feb 17, 2012 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 in the Paint Trilogy digressed into more graphic violence and sexual detail. Again, I probably would not have read this book if I had not been hooked into the lives of the Paint generations.
Cheryl
Jul 03, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not that fond of books involving psychopathic killers. I would like to read Todd's two earlier books because it sounds like they're about the Paint family in Wyoming.
James
May 12, 2012 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book...a murder mystery that spans a world war, and a love story that does the same. Not what you're expecting when you pick it up, but fully satisfying when you put it down.
Quiltgranny
Oct 31, 2011 Quiltgranny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last of the Paint trilogy. Not my favorite of the three, but well done and closes the Paint family's/s stories realistically.
Tammie
Tammie rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Joe O'hara
Joe O'hara rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Kay
Aug 21, 2012 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this trilogy
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2011
£L£NA ßL¥TH£
£L£NA ßL¥TH£ rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Jean Hedren
Jean Hedren rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Annie
Annie rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2013
Jayzasterus
Jayzasterus rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
Anthony Moreno
Anthony Moreno rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

“The longest life is no more than a sliver of light between two boundless ribbons of dark, like the light you see through the chinks of a log cabin at sunrise. And that last ribbon of dark, the one that comes after you are gone, that one goes on until the end of time.” 1 likes