Start by marking “First Hero (The Chronicles of Avantia, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Hero (The Chronicles of Avantia, #1)

First Hero (The Chronicles of Avantia #1)

Deadly Beasts. Brutal combat. Welcome to Avantia.

At the age of seven, Tanner's father was killed in front of him by the evil warlord Derthsin. But his father's death was not in vain and Derthsin was carried away to his doom by a good Beast, Firepos the Flame Bird. Now, eight years later, another evil army is wreaking havoc across Avantia. But Tanner has been training with
Published February 1st 2012 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about First Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Hero

Erik
Apr 21, 2012 Erik rated it it was ok
This book simply has horrible writing. I know that it is aimed at 3rd grade readers (and I'd say probably more like lower 4th & 5th grade readers), but even taking that into account, I found this to be an unfortunate book. The story and the idea is original, but I couldn't get past the writing to enjoy this book at all. For some reason, I also found this book a bit on violent side (a little too detailed).
Nurete
Jun 25, 2013 Nurete rated it did not like it
Gory and bloody. I don't know why people are saying this is a good book for kids. Too many people get violently killed in it. It gave my 9 year old son nightmares and he is not the squeamish type.
LegendaryUmbreon
Jun 01, 2015 LegendaryUmbreon rated it it was ok
This book was just awful... Of course, it had a good idea, but it plunged way to quickly into the action as a way to "hook" the reader. not only that but the writing is awful as well. The idea for Avantia and The four beasts (technically 5) is good, but it should have been put into the hands of a better writer. I, being 14, could do a better job than Adam. (Sorry Adam but it is entirely true). I had so many more and better ideas that could have been put into this book instead of what did get put ...more
Sarah Scribner
Sep 08, 2015 Sarah Scribner rated it liked it
I read this at my son's request because he loved this series. It's well written and interesting for a 3rd/4th grader without being overly complicated. I felt like it was a touch violent in the first few chapters - a little too gory for my taste - but overall I liked it.
Alexander Jensen
Jan 21, 2016 Alexander Jensen rated it liked it
The Chronicles of Avantia is written by Adam Blade and is about a boy whose village is burned down and is saved by a phoenix. In this book each magical beast gets a human that is worthy of the creature. In this book he meets a girl with a wolf that has wings. I chose this because I read a series called Beast Quest who was by the same person in the same world.

The main character and the girl went on an adventure to stop the rising evil of an evil warlord that is trying to gather a mask that has th
Criticalmick
Nov 21, 2015 Criticalmick rated it did not like it
Warning! The best character in Adam Blade's First Hero is not even in the novel.

I read this book to my nine year old, who loved the fantasy and friendship of the original Beast Quest series. Chronicles of Avantia rejects all that imagination and roots around in a juvenaliac mire of graphic violence, guilt and gloom. Whenever there came a description of villagers being slaughtered or people boiled alive, I would make up a bit about Sheepie, Tanner's pet superhero sheep. Now that beast had some f
Lynn B.
Jun 19, 2015 Lynn B. rated it did not like it
*possible spoilers!*
Tanner is only a little boy when his parents get killed, and he's forced to spend the rest of his childhood with his nice but peculiar grandma. He does, however, have a secret: a Beast. Beasts are magical creatures in the land of Avantia that have special powers. Firepos, Tanner's phoenix-esque Beast, and he himself train hard all of these years.
When a dark army starts to destroy many towns, including the town where he lived with his grandma, who ended up getting killed as w
Grace
Aug 03, 2014 Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: james-s-reading
Michael Bafford
May 16, 2013 Michael Bafford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was grim and not much else. Too grim for me.
John Cunningham
Sep 12, 2013 John Cunningham rated it did not like it
Bloody, graphic violence for 8yos?!?

I was really disappointed and alarmed at this story. What promised to be a quest-adventure story quickly turned dark with constant, graphically bloody scenes of violence and murder. Early in the book the young hero watches his father get hacked down by the primary villain, and later the author has the young hero watch the primary henchman murder his grandmother, describing how the sword thrust pins her to the floor while blood spatters out. WHAT!?!? This level
FantasyWereld
De 15-jarige Willem was nog maar een kind toen voor zijn ogen zijn vader vermoord werd. De kwaadaardige Derzin viel zijn dorp aan en stak alle huizen in brand. Derzins leger nam Willems moeder mee en liet Willems dorp verwoest achter. Derzin zelf werd gedood door Vuurpos, een vlammenvogel die Willem die dag ontmoette. Op die dag veranderde Willems leven voorgoed: Willem bleek namelijk de Uitverkoren Ruiter van Vuurpos te zijn.

Na die rampzalige dag keerde de rust terug in Willems dorp en Willem g
02TannerS
Mar 11, 2013 02TannerS rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main conflict in this story is that Tanner ,The main character, Is being attacked by and evil Warlord.

The setting takes place in Midevil times.

The Protagonist in this story is Tanner a 15 year old boy who is trained as a knight

Tanner's father was killed by the evil warlord many years ago. Tanner thought he had seen the last of the evil warlord when his beast a pheonix threw the evil warlord into a volcano. But he was wrong. The warlord Gor is still alive and is attacking villages trying to t
Hilary
Since the age of seven, when Tanner’s father was murdered in front of him by the warlord Derthsin, Tanner has been training, waiting to avenge his father’s death. Eight years later, an evil army menaces Avantia and Tanner teams up with Gwen and Geffen, twins who hold the key to discovering the missing pieces of the Mask of Death, which controls all telepathic warrior Beasts in the land.

“First Hero” is a straightforward action-adventure fantasy. Humans bond with telepathic Beasts to become formi
Eugene Sipat
Oct 31, 2013 Eugene Sipat rated it it was amazing
The Chronicles Of Avantia-First Hero was a inspiring book to the reader who is reading it.I continued reading the book until to the end because in the beginning it had a great explanation about the character.The author made a great introduction for the book about the charater and what happen next.A character named Tanner who was brave being himself without his father being killed and mother being carried away by an evil warlord Derthsin.For example "Derthsin's hand creeps to a sheath on his belt ...more
Heidi
Jun 22, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it
The storyline is pretty interesting, but it moves pretty slowly at times and it's a lot bloodier than I was expecting it to be. I wished I'd read it first before reading it to my son but now he's hooked on the Beasts and wants to keep reading the series together. If the author keeps describing bloody entrails and chopped limbs, I might be editing on the fly as we read aloud.
Deloomey
Dec 03, 2015 Deloomey rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a good book. I'm currently re-reading it right now in the hopes of getting the second book of the series! I think it was a very good idea for a book and it definitely attracted my attention. I recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy!
Jessie
Feb 25, 2016 Jessie rated it did not like it
Shelves: england
Once I reached the halfway mark, I thought about putting it down and not picking it up again. But I didn't. Why? Because it's only 155 pages. How can you not complete such a short book? I had to force myself to read the rest of it just for that reason. It never got better.

The entire book was fighting. All I know of the plot is that the protagonist was trying to find a mapmaker. That's it. Everything else was just a gory battle.
Julian
Nov 17, 2014 Julian marked it as to-read
It was awesome. It's about a kid that was chosen to be a rider and he must collect all the pieces of the mask before his enemy does
Aidan Michael
May 05, 2015 Aidan Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tanner defeats the war lord Gor but it is just the beginning of an adventure.
DylanB
Jan 21, 2015 DylanB rated it really liked it
It has a lot of adventure in it if that is what your looking for.
Matthew
Sep 15, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Action packed, one of the best books i've read.
Rose
Aug 05, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: intoxicating
Great and amazing. Loyalty is tested...
Holly
May 19, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
good book with lots of adventure!!
Alexis
Jan 30, 2014 Alexis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really a great premise - but the mid-section of the book was just too 'gory' for my liking. Even my 10-year old son felt the same. But he is considering the rest of the series, I told him he will have to read those on his own. I think we are on to Mockingjay next!
Mishael
May 13, 2015 Mishael added it
Shelves: favorites
8 out of 10
Noelle
May 14, 2012 Noelle rated it really liked it
This book is an amazing adventure that is packed with action. To me it is a cross between Eragon and Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set, two of my favorite books.
Clare Cannon
Action packed heroic fantasy adventure, incorporating some very evil characters who inflict a substantial amount of violence both within and outside of the battlefield, giving some description. Characters are not so well developed, but the writing is above average and the lengthy series offers something for avid young readers.
Sue
Sep 21, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
in our search to satisfy our lower level readers in junior high, this one i think hits the mark. the story reminds me of a cross betwee the rangers apprentice stories and conan the barbarian. there is a surprising amount of violence for a book deemed to be grades 3-6!
Jess
Stars: 3 stars
Did I like it? Meh
Six word summary:
Rating:
Complaints:
Praises:
-----
Summary:
-----
Ten words for the author: Next time match content with reading level please Mr. Blade.
Steve
Nov 24, 2013 Steve rated it did not like it
I don't think I got past the first chapter. There was nothing questionable with the content, just very childish. It was not very entertaining for me, though I'm sure my six year-old would enjoy it.
  • Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)
  • Poison Most Vial
  • Stealing Death
  • 13 Hangmen
  • Chasing the Secret (Sisters of the Sword, #2)
  • Pandemonium
  • Sisters of Glass
  • Playing with Fire (School for S.P.I.E.S., #1)
  • A world of trouble (Merits of Mischief #2)
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)
  • The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • Smells Like Pirates
  • Crash (Stay Alive, #1)
  • Zero to Hero (Ghost Buddy, #1)
  • Green Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #5)
  • Revenge of the Loser (The Loser List #2)
Adam Blade is the house name for the Working Partners Ltd. ghostwriters who write the Beast Quest and Sea Quest series.

Adam Blade is in his late twenties, and was born in Kent, England. His parents were both history teachers and amateur artists, and Adam grew up surrounded by his father’s paintings of historic English battles – which left a lifelong mark on his imagination. He was also fascinated
More about Adam Blade...

The Chronicles of Avantia (4 books)
  • Chasing Evil (The Chronicles of Avantia, #2)
  • Call to War (The Chronicles of Avantia, #3)
  • Fire and Fury (The Chronicles of Avantia, #4)