The Swimming Pool

The Swimming Pool (Had I But Known)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Desperately afraid, Judith Chandler barricades herself in her bedroom. Her sister, detective novelist Lois, has no patience for Judith's bizarre behavior. However, a real-life mystery unfolds when Judith disappears from her locked room without a trace. Reissue.
Published May 1st 2003 by Kensington (first published 1952)

Ryan G
I'm wondering if you guys are getting sick of all the Mary Roberts Rinehart reviews lately. Especially since they are all so close together and all I do is rave about them. As of right now there is only one more after this one, so I promise to make this one short and sweet. I wish I could tell you that this review was going to be different, but it won't be. Actually this book so out performed the previous three books, I'm not sure what I can say about it.

First of all, the story was quite a bit l...more
Barb
My mom read this book in a day! My father brought it to her in the hospital when she gave birth to my brother in 1952. So, I wanted to read it for sentimental reasons.

I, did, however, really enjoy it. It takes place after the stock crash in the 1920's and the family that the book is written about was very much affected by it. It was interesting to hear about this time in history.

My mom loves murder mysteries, so I can see why she liked this one! :) Lots of those included, but all-in-all an upbea...more
Tony
Rinehart, Mary Roberts. THE SWIMMING POOL. (1952). ****. This novel by the American Agatha Christie was one of her last. It features a family in peril because of events from the past. The author shows her usual tendency to spread clues around in such a way that we should have solved the mystery early on, but we usually don’t. The swimming pool in question is one on the estate of a once-wealthy family somewhere in West Chester County. The middle sister, Judith, has come back home after her divorc...more
Diane Schneider
A fun mystery story. I can usually see a twist coming a mile away, but I didn't get all the pieces of this one until the reveal at the end. There were some stylistic elements that kept me from enjoying the book as much as I could have. I'm just chalking it up to the fact that the book was originally published in 1952, and slang and phrasing have evolved.
Venessa
I've been really into reading vintage books lately because I **need** good writing and even when I'm giggling or outraged at the old-fashionedness sometimes, I'm definitely appreciating the well-written works where people actually cared what they were producing. Mary Roberts Rinehart became an instant favorite of mine once I finished this book, and I'm now on a mission to collect all of her work. Plus, I get a little kick out of thinking that my beloved Shirley Jackson probably read all of her b...more
Susan

Another great mystery by Mary Roberts Rinehart! This one was addicting and I could hardly put it down for wanting to solve all the mysteries. I love the setting and the cast of characters. There was even a bit of romance in this one which was also entertaining. The Circular Staircase was my first Mary Roberts Rinehart, and now having read The Swimming Pool, I will be looking for more by this great writer of mysteries.
Morganucopia
Engrossing film noir style mystery with a perfect mix of adventure and romance. A little outdated and a tad overlong, but well worth reading for hard core mystery fans who crave a complex puzzle and fully drawn out characters.
Stephanie
This book is out of print and getting difficult to find. It is worth the search! Mary Roberts Rinehart is just as talented as Christie and Sayers.
Kristina
I've read this book many times and I always enjoy it. It's suspenseful, has a good mystery, and just a hint of romance. Very enjoyable.
Christina
This is another classic by Mary Roberts Rinehart. I have a great 1950's-era copy which makes reading it even more fun.
Rae
Aug 02, 2008 Rae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
A great suspenseful gothic mystery with a big mansion, a swimming pool and some dug-up family history. I loved this.
Tasha
The last quarter of this book made me feel like I was in a trap and trying to chew my arm off to escape.
J
Not one of my favorites.
Morpheus
Morpheus marked it as to-read
Sandy Hearn
Sandy Hearn marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Mevurah
Mevurah marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Deeba Yasmeen
Deeba Yasmeen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Monica Garcia
Monica Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Ilse
Ilse is currently reading it
May 31, 2014
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Gretl
Gretl marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special...more
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...
The Circular Staircase The Man in Lower Ten The Bat The Yellow Room The Case of Jennie Brice