Start by marking “Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)

Insomnia (The Night Walkers #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,114 Ratings  ·  479 Reviews
Her eyes saved his life.
Her dreams released his darkness.

After four years of sleeplessness, high school junior Parker Chipp can't take much more. Every night, instead of sleeping, he enters the dreams of the last person he's made eye contact with. If he doesn't sleep soon, Parker will die.

Then he meets Mia. Her dreams, calm and beautifully uncomplicated, allow him blissful
Published June 8th 2013 by Flux (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Insomnia, please sign up.

Brandi
Jul 13, 2015 Brandi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody

1.5 Stars

The story is about Parker, who hasn't actually slept in 4 years, and is an invisible bystander to the dreams of the last person he made eye contact with. As things get progressively worse he can only trust his best friend, and his friend's sister, to help him uncover what is wrong with him, and help the girl that he found out he can sleep with (har har).

For such a wholly original idea (to me anyway), this book sure wasn't anything special. I mean, watching the dreams of the last pers
J.R. Johansson
Jul 01, 2015 J.R. Johansson added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is unexpectedly creeptastic. It even surprised me, and I wrote it. I can also say with complete bias, that even after reading it approximately 1,247,463 times, I still like it.

That has to mean something, right?

You should read it and let me know. :)
Steph Sinclair
OMG! I love this cover. Super creepy. I approve! I can't wait to read this!
Rose
Initial reaction: I wasn't that impressed with "Insomnia," despite some pretty awesome aspects that were peppered into the story. My primary problem was the protagonist Parker - usually I don't mind unreliable narrators if I can sympathize/empathize with them, but Parker irritated me more times than not. The writing in this didn't really support the storyline that well either, having one too many holes and some expansions that were difficult to buy for me. And I couldn't get the Al Pacino/Robin ...more
Khanh (the Grinch)
Wow, I don't quite know what to say. I'm not sure what I think of this one, actually. Surreal, scary, unreal; it's like looking at a René Magritte painting. This book just wreaks havoc with my head. It features an unreliable narrator, and that's what took me for a spin. It was well-written, but there were problems with the plot that could have been solved by a few easy steps. I liked it, but I'm not sure if I loved it.

The concept is interesting and original, the execution is somewhat flawed. It
Hayden
Mar 15, 2015 Hayden marked it as wishlist
This sounds very interesting, like something Lisa McMann would write. Hopefully, it's just as good!
Zuleeza
May 04, 2013 Zuleeza rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 star.

In the barren wasteland of YA (I seriously cannot stand this new wave of New Adult books), this was truly awesome, guys. If only the ending is not so anti-climatic...

As usual, with amazing books, I don't really have much to say but I'll try anyway since I need to convince you to read this!

The book opens up strong, I was quickly thrown into the harsh reality of Parker's world. He couldn't sleep for four years, instead, at night he is forced to watch the dreams of the last p
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

DNF Mini review.

There are people who genuinely enjoyed this book. Then there are the few that disliked this to a large extent- one of them being me. The only shining point in this novel was the idea. But look no further as the execution was illogical and far-fetched, also, in no way, shape or form I could relate to the main character. Calling Insomnia a disappointment does not even begin to cover my emotions right now.

Insomnia opens to a illustrative beginni
Faye, la Patata
Thank you Flux and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for a review. This generous act did not influence my review in any way.

As a person who oftentimes finds herself still awake in the wee hours of the morning, and as someone truly fascinated in the subject of sleep deprivation (having experienced it in my university life once or twice, ahem), it comes as a no wonder that the moment I saw Insomnia by J.R. Johansson on NetGalley, I felt that I just had to have it. Entering the dreams o
Meli
Sep 19, 2014 Meli rated it really liked it
RESAÑA COMPLETA POR ACÁ

Muy, muy bueno.
Es retorcido, es enfermizo y por momentos sentís que te volves loco a la par del protagonista. Me gustó que Parker fuera el héroe pero presuntamente también el villano. Muy original.
Wendy Darling
Hm. I'm not sure about this rating yet; the book started out pretty strong, but after awhile, there were too many logic gaps and convoluted scenarios. It's disappointing to find that what was an interesting psychological thriller (which I thought would have an extremely unusual answer to its mystery) turned out to be a pretty typical, and predictable, thriller after all.

Review to come.
Ricardo
Feb 06, 2016 Ricardo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 / 5

Personajes estúpidos, situaciones absurdas y cero trama. Una completa pérdida de tiempo.

Reseña: http://www.eternamenteentiniebla.com/...
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Interesting plot.
But nope.
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Insomnia was a compelling read in such a manner that I couldn't put down the book. It was gripping and interesting, and I just wanted to read the book as fast as I could because I just had to know what is happening.

This book is memorable for me because this is one of my first mystery books aside from Nancy Drew and others from my childhood. Though I'm not really open to any other genres aside from Contemporary Romance, this book caught my attention and I am really happy that I decided to read i
Jasi
Seit vier Jahren kann Parker nicht mehr schlafen. Stattdessen muss er Träume anderer Menschen miterleben. Diese sind oft grausam und erschreckend, da man während des Träumens unterbewusst schlimme Ereignisse verarbeitet. Ein Arzt teilt Parker mit, dass man aufgrund Schlafmangels sterben kann und er weiß das ihm nicht mehr viel Zeit bleibt. Doch plötzlich trifft er auf Mia und ihre Träume sind so friedlich, das er in ihnen Schlaf findet. Parker weiß das es endlich einen Weg gefunden hat um wieder ...more
Eileen
Apr 05, 2013 Eileen rated it really liked it
Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

I have one word to describe Insomnia: addicting. We have a fresh idea incorporated with flawless execution, and I couldn't get enough of JR Johansson's debut.

The dominant topic here is both exhilarating and unlike any other. Parker has a special ability to experience the dreams of the last person they made eye contact with. The only catch is that he doesn't get any real sleep because his brain is active during all of the dream
Renee Collins
Oct 10, 2012 Renee Collins rated it it was amazing
A tip for readers of Insomnia: Clear your schedules before beginning this book. DO NOT start reading just before bed if you have to get up early the next morning. And use caution when reading during class or at work.

Guys, this book will grab you and not let go.

J.R. Johansson weaves a story that gets right into your head. It's smart, creepy, chilling, vivid, and exciting. I was truly kept guessing until the end. In fact, I can't wait to read it again and see what I missed!
Carmen
May 26, 2012 Carmen marked it as to-read
This sounds like Wake by Lisa McMann... hmm, interesting.
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
Every night Parker has other people's dreams and it's slowly killing him. It has been years since he's gotten any rest, until he meets Mia. That night, Parker is able to rest for the first time. After that, Parker becomes obsessive and tries to makes sure that Mia is the last person he locks eyes with in the day. Instead, Mia becomes fearful of Parker and thinks he's a creepy stalker. Things get even worse when she begins to r
Dentro de un  Libro
Parker es un “Observador”, y se ve forzado a soñar los sueños de la última persona con la que hizo contacto visual. Y es por esto que durante los últimos cuatro años no pudo descansar, porque aunque su cuerpo duerme su cerebro no lo hace. Así que cuando, por casualidad, conoce a Mia, y a la noche se da cuenta que la excesiva simplicidad de sus sueños le permite dormir en ellos, se obsesiona con que sea ella la ultima persona con la que haga contacto visual para así poder, por fin, descansar. Par ...more
Kenya Wright
Feb 14, 2013 Kenya Wright rated it it was amazing
So. . .

I wasn't too keen on opening this book. There wasn't a big muscular half naked guy mounting a captivating woman so from the very start I was a bit bored, before I even opened the book.

So I read the first line:

It'd been over four years since I'd really slept, and I suspected it was killing me.

ummmm okay. I'm interested. I'm overjoyed. I decide to read more.

Meet Parker. He hasn't slept in a long time, dude. Why? Because he has a special power that deals with dreams. I don't want to give t
Abbe Hinder
Insomnia is a creative story that most people wished were true. Hell, I wish I could be a Night Walker and know what some people dream about! That sounds pretty cool, right? Right? Anyway, the story follows Parker, who has been dealing with this gift/curse for four years now without sleeping a wink until he meets Mia who changes his life forever. The story starts out with a little too much information before most of the characters or past events are introduced. And speaking of the characters, on ...more
Colleen Houck
Creepy dreams, stalkers, and a great hero with lots of problems. Poor guy! I was on the edge of my seat and feeling a bit crazy like I hadn't slept in a week either. The sweet painting/landscape dreams were as relaxing for me as they were for him. Love the love interest in this book too. She's awesome.
Alvaro Acevedo Barrios
Si quieren leer un libro juvenil y sombrío, lean este libro.
No solo tiene una hermosa portada, tambien es un excelente libro.
No dire mucho de este (aunque no hago reseñas), pero es un libro muy frío, oscuro y hermoso para los que les gusta los transtornos y la locura (TENGO PROBLEMAS)
Yelania Nightwalker

Cuando recién vi este libro me interesó de inmediato, la premisa es excelente y piensas que vas a toparte con un libro lleno de misterio y que te dejará queriendo saber más o sin poder conciliar el sueño en las noches. Pero, para desgracia mía, leerlo fue una completa pesadilla...

Cuando empezamos a leerlo, que por cierto, es aburridísimo ese inicio, descubrimos que Parker no ha dormido en cuatro años.

4 años.

Esa fue la primera alerta amarilla. Es decir, si no logras dormir en tanto tiempo,

Paula Mayfair
Dec 11, 2014 Paula Mayfair rated it really liked it
ok.... partiré diciendo que estoy muy feliz de haber comprado este libro :D!! algunas reseñas me habían hecho dudar pero seguí mi instinto (ok, solo es que me encantaaaaba la portada) y le di una oportunidad y totalmente fui recompensada, si bien no me ha vuelto loca ni me ha hecho replantearme las estrellas de otros libros, este es un libro increíblemente bueno, sigue siendo un Thriller YA, pero esta muy bien hecho. El protagonista es lo suficientemente heroico para que te guste, pero a mismo t ...more
Abstractelf
May 05, 2013 Abstractelf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-in-series
Oh. My. God. That's the simplest way to summarize this book.

I have to admit, at the beginning I thought, this will another disappointment but as I read on, it became creepier, darker and more twisted, and I always asked myself: What's going on here?

The author played a really good mind game with me til the end of the book which was awesome! Okay, I felt like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown but nevermind that part. It was totally worth it.

At the beginning I didn't really like Parker, mostly bec
Neyra ♦
Jun 16, 2013 Neyra ♦ rated it really liked it

Intense, dark, and riveting, Insomnia by J.R. Johansson is a psychological thriller that will leave you reeling!

Thanks to Steph from Cuddlebuggery I found this book, and I couldn't be happier. This one struck a chord for me, to be honest, because I haven't been able to sleep properly for the past few years and it really does take its toll on you. Albeit I do get much more sleep than our dear Parker here, I still find my energy diminishing and my mood fluctuating from angry to pissed off half t
Sarah Marie
Insomnia by J.R. Johansson

First in The Night Walkers series

Parker hasn’t slept in four years and after a trip a doctor he starts to suspect that he’ll die soon from lack of it. Instead of sleeping, Parker enters the dreams of the last person he’s had eye contact with. Parker’s tired. Exhausted to the point of death and dealing with other people’s haunting dreams and nightmares, Parker just wants sleep. If he doesn’t sleep he could face psychosis or even death. Then he meets Mia. A stran

Trisha
Jul 07, 2013 Trisha rated it liked it
This one is tough to review. It's twisted and scary and different from anything I've read lately.

On one hand, I loved it. I've had insomnia on and off for my whole life. I seem to go in spurts of sleeping normal and then sleeping horribly - so bad that each day can have a dream-like fuzziness about it that makes it seem almost 'not real.' It's awful and it sucks. On the flip side, I don't dream. And, on the extremely rare occasion that I do dream, it's always a bad dream.

So, I can understand Par
Cure insomnia with the help of zopiclone 1 5 Apr 08, 2015 05:19AM
FYA Book Club of ...: August 2013 Read- Insomnia Discussion 1 11 Aug 31, 2013 03:43PM
  • Undercurrent
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Some Quiet Place (Some Quiet Place, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • Hysteria
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Underneath
  • The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
  • Bruised
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Indelible (The Twixt, #1)

The Night Walkers (3 books)
  • Paranoia (The Night Walkers, #2)
  • Mania (The Night Walkers, #3)