Start by marking “Buried by the Roan: An Allison Coil Mystery” as Want to Read:
Buried by the Roan: An Allison Coil Mystery

Buried by the Roan: An Allison Coil Mystery (Allison Coil Mystery #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

The spark for Buried by the Roan is a dead hunter on the shore of Oyster Lake, deep in the Flat Tops Wilderness. Josh Keating’s demise could be a case of a hunter drinking too much and stumbling late at night. Or it could be something much worse. Plenty of other strange things are going on to make hunting guide Allison Coil think the death is no accident. Someone is lurki

Published August 2nd 2011 by People's Press

To ask other readers questions about Buried by the Roan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried by the Roan

Breakaway Reviewers
Jun 02, 2016 Breakaway Reviewers rated it really liked it
Why is the water contaminated?

It’s hunting season in Colorado and Alison Coil, with her guides, Colin McKee and Jesse Morales, have set up camp at Oyster Lake with an unusual group; locals to the area who have decided to take some time away from their busy lives to hunt for elk.

Josh Keating, a local rancher is struck down by a mysterious stomach bug after drinking water from a spring. However, it’s not the spring water that kills him, it’s hypothermia. But is it really that simple an explanation
Barry Wightman
Jan 26, 2013 Barry Wightman rated it really liked it
Another master mystery from Mark Stevens. Wild cat fracking and dead bodies piling up in the Colorado high country. The series keeps on getting better. Tense and taut.
Gloria Feit
Dec 25, 2011 Gloria Feit rated it liked it
The second Allison Coil Mystery begins with a hunting party Allison and her guides are heading in Colorado. Among the participants is the owner of a ranch who supposedly is in the forefront in the community of “striking it rich” by collecting gas royalties as the controversy swirls about ruining the environment by fracturing underground sources of hydrocarbons. Unfortunately he dies up on the mountain, apparently in an accident. But was it?

From that point, the convoluted plot progresses and the
Kevintipple
Oct 27, 2012 Kevintipple rated it really liked it
It is October and strange things are going on in the “Flat Tops” located in the Colorado mountains. A low flying ultralight plane is seen by hunting guide Allison Coil and others. On more than one occasion, Allison has felt like somebody was lurking in the woods and watching her. Considering the fact that after one such incident she found a baseball cap on the ground, and that same baseball cap was later taken from her horse, she is probably right that somebody is out there watching her and her ...more
Marlyn
Dec 28, 2011 Marlyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Outfitter and hunting guide Allison Coil has a group of hunters at a camp near Oyster Lake. One of the hunters, a local rancher named Josh Keating, appears to have a stomach ailment, and is blaming it on a mountain spring he drank from. The next day, his body is found near the lake, where he had apparently fallen and hit his head on the rocks. The other hunters say that they'd been drinking a lot, and he'd headed out alone to relieve himself late at night.

Allison is fairly certain that, even dru
Anna Marie
Feb 05, 2016 Anna Marie rated it liked it
I like the Colorado mountain setting. I didn't like the Kindle version with no transition indications and dialogues all in the same paragraph. Allison is a hunting guide with several people working under her. A hunter dies from exposure after no one notices he didn't return from taking a leak after an evening of drinking. Several hunters become very ill from drinking bad water. And Devo is sneaking around in the backwoods watching everything. Allison is busy!
Danan Kay Lievens
Fantastic

Beautiful storyline, characters are all believable and the plot is great. This is a great author,. Don't miss these books, well worth the read.
Bernie Buescher
Jan 07, 2016 Bernie Buescher rated it really liked it
Fun story about the environmental vs Oil and Gas wars in Western Colorado. I'm looking forward to further mysteries developing the Allison Coil character further.
Catherine
Feb 15, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it
Allison Coil is an outfitter, taking hunters to camp on horseback. I really enjoy this strong female character operating in what is more typically a man's world. In Buried by the Roan, the author presents mining, the rights of landowners, and protection of the environment in an exciting story that leaves the reader to decide their own opinion about the complex issues. The character Devo was a great addition. I get a little annoyed with Allison for getting herself into dangerous situations again ...more
Candy
Jun 18, 2016 Candy added it
The writing is not exceptional, but I do like the strong female protagonist and the wilderness setting.
Douglas Cook
Well written outdoor Rocky Mountain mystery. Allison is much more confident in this second book.
A.J. Lauer
Dec 10, 2015 A.J. Lauer rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, fast-paced read. I will have to check out the others in the series.
Jen Freeman
Apr 06, 2015 Jen Freeman rated it really liked it
Fun, fast paced read, especially for those who know the Flat Tops and the Roan.
Julie
Dec 15, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
would love more on her guiding instead of riding up and down the mtn each day.
Saytchyn
May 22, 2013 Saytchyn rated it really liked it
I love mysteries but prefer the paranormal sort and rarely read books set in the west. Still, this solid murder mystery set in the Colorado Flat Tops kept me reading, primarily because I love the characters. Allison Coil is the older sister I always wanted, rugged and outdoorsy but all woman, smart and tough, complex and often vulnerable. Devo is a character I wish I'd written. I'll let you meet him yourself. The third book by Mark Stevens is forthcoming, and I look forward to trekking back into ...more
Mike Schneider
Jun 08, 2012 Mike Schneider rated it really liked it
An interesting story, "Buried By The Roan", an Allison Coil mystery, continues Mark Stevens' series about a present day female mountain guide in Colorado, who solves an involved murder tangled in differences between environmental advocates and ranch owners eager to cash in on natural gas drilling profits. It kept my attention throughout and presented both sides of the issues discussed, while giving us plenty of the wilderness descriptions endemic to this series.
Tanya
Jan 05, 2015 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars- this is a fun murder-mystery novel set in Colorado, themes of the environment, hunting, and relationships.
Katherine Gordy Levine
Recommended by the Highlands Ranch Colorado librarians. A mystery set in the Flatlands of Colorado. Pits environmentalists against fracking against greed. Innovative murders get me turning pages at the end. Gets a three as I read it through to the end, but took a while to get into it, too much back and forth between some of the characters and I could have done without the romance and sex. Guess that makes me a Cranky Old Lady.

Kim L.
Oct 03, 2015 Kim L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a new fan of this author. Set in and around the Flat Tops wilderness area of Colorado this one, part of a series, is full of mystery and intrigue as well as the environmental and political interests concerning oil and gas development. I felt like the vivid descriptions of the sights and smells of the Colorado mountains were as large a character as that of the likable hunting guide, Allison Coil.
Gusto Dave
The author of this title is an RMFW member. For that reason, we do not rate these selections. We’re kind of biased. However, it wouldn’t be right if we didn’t have them on our shelves. And you’ll see this message on any other titles that come from our members. We do hope that you’ll consider reading it, though. ;)

Gusto Dave, Publicity Chair for RMFW
Kristine Hicken
Nov 10, 2013 Kristine Hicken rated it really liked it
Living in Meeker gives me an interesting perspective to this novel. It's a little strange to read a fictitious story set in the place where you live. It was a good story, a fairly good mystery and the subject matter is one of importance - how far do we go to fulfill our need for energy as opposed to how we as a society could (and possibly should) change.
Shannon
Sep 16, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Buried by the Roan, Stevens takes us on a trail as full of twists as a switchback path up one of Colorado's 14ers. If you love the Rockies and are drawn in by women of steel, this is the book for you. Be sure you read it by a roaring fire because Stevens places you so deeply in the cold of the autumn mountains your bones will shiver.
Mackay
Oct 13, 2011 Mackay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Compelling and keenly observed--a satisfying read. I wished Allison had been a little cannier there at the end, but the picture of what might be called a modern day range war in the West is well done and realistically nuanced, and I loved the cast of characters. Stevens is better than CJ Box, who writes in a similar environment.
Joyce
Mar 19, 2013 Joyce rated it liked it
The mystery was a little convoluted, but I loved reading about parts of Colorado that I have not been to, and the environmental issues that were presented. I think that we all need to be more conscious of how our choices affect the environment, and I applaud novels that bring these topics to our awareness.
Tom
Mar 17, 2012 Tom added it
Buy this book and read this book. I don't review/rate books written by my friends but I enjoyed this mystery set in the Colorado high country. Bravo Mark!
Ryan Darton
Dec 15, 2012 Ryan Darton rated it it was ok
Decent local Colorado mystery, couple of oddball characters, little politically trendy.
Shirley
Shirley is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Lauren Nest
Lauren Nest is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2016
Gary Cook
Gary Cook rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I’m the son of two librarians.

My first mystery, "Antler Dust," was published in 2007 and made the best-seller list on The Denver Post. Two years later, it was back on the same list. Great reviews from The Aspen Times and Great Falls (Montana) Tribune, among others.

The sequel, "Buried by the Roan," was published in August, 2011. (Said Margaret Coel: "Flat-out terrific.") Itr was a finalist for the
More about Mark Stevens...

Allison Coil Mystery (4 books)
  • Antler Dust (The Allison Coil Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Trapline