Start by marking “The Far Corner” as Want to Read:
The Far Corner

The Far Corner

A book in which Wilf Mannion rubs shoulders with The Sunderland Skinhead: recollections of Len Shakleton blight the lives of village shoppers: and the appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager of Newcastle is celebrated by a man in a leather stetson, crooning 'For The Good Times' to the accompaniment of a midi organ, THE FAR CORNER is a tale of heroism and human frailty, pass ...more
Published August 3rd 1995 by Abacus (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Corner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Corner

Elizabeth Coldwell
Jan 23, 2011 Elizabeth Coldwell rated it it was amazing
The funniest book about football ever written - brilliantly combines a footballing history of the North-east of England with sharp observational comedy about the experience of attending a modern-day game.
David Lowther
Oct 06, 2014 David Lowther rated it really liked it
Strictly of interest to social historians, The Far Corner is about football (soccer) in North East England in bygone days. It is extremely funny but also rather sad. NE England was a hotbed of developing football talent. Today a player in one of the region's two Premier League teams is more likely to come from Marseilles than Houghton-Le Spring.

Even though the book was written in 1993, it brilliantly illustrates just how far down the sewer football in the UK has sunk since satellite TV and othe
Ipswichblade
Jan 24, 2010 Ipswichblade rated it it was amazing
One of my top 5 books of all time! A must for any football fan, this is the funniest book about football ever!
Neil
Oct 28, 2014 Neil rated it it was amazing
Five stars isn't enough. Would give this 6 if I could. Brilliant.
Michael
Jan 20, 2017 Michael rated it really liked it
A hilarious book and a fascinating look at these small towns and communities held together by soccer. I may not have understood many of the references or the slang, but hopefully when I get a chance to visit the northeast it will all come together.
Tom Lynch
Jun 27, 2014 Tom Lynch rated it it was amazing
20 years after it was written, this book is still one of my favourites. Although its about football, its equally about the North East, its culture and its people. It is affectionate, hilarious and truthful and pokes fun in a way that only someone from the North East can get away with. Pearson crosses the region watching games spanning the full spectrum of league levels from Premier League Newcastle, down through into the non leagues, capturing a comprehensive picture of the passion and importanc ...more
Gregory Smith
Jan 27, 2009 Gregory Smith rated it liked it
did not know much about the northeast and i feel that most of this book was over my head. I think im too young to know much and almost all of the leagues mentioned in the book are still not available in other countries other than England. Still a good book but better for older readers who lived through the experience in early 90s england.
Chris Grieves
Nov 19, 2013 Chris Grieves rated it liked it
There were quite a few of the references that went over my head. To be a little overly critical, the book is a touch dated. That being said, it did have me laughing out loud a couple of times and I think that Pearson does do a decent job of capturing the way that football is seen in the North-East. Not quite the style of book that I usually go for, but definitely one that I enjoyed.
Chris
Dec 19, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: football fans, sports fans
A lovely and quite funny travelogue of football in the midlands of England. I've never been to England, but thanks to Harry Pearson I feel like I've seen my fair share of matches from the stands of Newcastle, Durhan City, middlesborough and the like.
Jon Chater
Sep 07, 2012 Jon Chater rated it it was amazing
What a great understated book. A genuine one you can't put down. A true football fan book. If you want one about violence and fake glamour move on this is not for you. If you want a brilliant book about a true football fan dive in.
Alison
Jun 27, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
Have long enjoyed Harry Pearson's writing and miss his Guardian columns greatly. People of a certain age will love this book. Arsenal supporters will empathise. I really laughed out loud.
Alan
If you are a soccer fan and understand British English, this is a hilarious book. My wife mostly looked at me like I was crazy when I read passages to her, but I was laughing out loud on every page.
B. Cheng
B. Cheng rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Ali Miremadi
Ali Miremadi rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Chris Loftus
Chris Loftus rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Graham
Graham rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Rosa
Rosa rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Eamonn
Eamonn rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Markcini
Markcini rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Ms. Risch
Ms. Risch rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2010
chris horne
chris horne rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2016
Jesse
Jesse rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Kieran
Kieran rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Will Nett
Will Nett rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Ian Mather
Ian Mather rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Richard Leeming
Richard Leeming rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“One day a man came into the bar and ordered a pint and a pousse-cafe, adding "for our lass" in case I thought he was a ballet dancer or something.” 2 likes