Start by marking “The God's Wife” as Want to Read:
The God's Wife

The God's Wife

3.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The women of ancient Egypt were the freest of any civilization on earth, until the modern era. In several dynasties of ancient Egypt the God's Wives of Amun stood tall, priestesses of wealth and power, who represented the pinnacle of female power in the Egyptian state. Many called The God's Wife of Amun second only to the Pharaoh in dominance. THE GOD'S WIFE follows the ad ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Fiction Std, E Book

To ask other readers questions about The God's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God's Wife

Dec 20, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Review posted 9/16/2011 at Owl Tell You About It.

I knew when I read the synopsis that this book had the potential to be great. I think it realizes that potential fully. Lynn Voedisch has done such a wonderful job with this book. Aside from a little publishing error (which the author says is being fixed), I couldn’t find a thing I didn't like about The God's Wife. In fact, I struggled a little with my rating. I thought the book was very well done and I find myself wanting to give it a 5/5, but I
Alyssa Archambo
I am an Ancient Egypt addict. I love watching movies and documentaries about it, I love reading about it, I love learning about its mythology -- basically, I love it. So when I jumped at the chance to read this book.

Based off my rating, you're probably wondering what went wrong. It definitely wasn't the Ancient Egypt part. Voedisch has certainly done her homework, and while I thought that story was sometimes sacrificed to make way for informative passages about Ancient Egpytian culture that coul
Tina
Dec 13, 2011 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was a "good" book - nothing to whoop and holler about. The author, in my opinion, never really brought her characters to life - there wasn't too much to feel about them and she didn't complete a suggestive feeling she would start - for example - for one of the characters she says something like - this person is important - then never elaborates on why this person is important. I think it would have been better if she brought the characters more to life, and went a little deeper into the story ...more
Randy Richardson
"The God's Wife" weaves together the past and the present with the stories of two women separated by thousands of years but somehow connected. Jumping seamlessly from the stories of these two women - one the God's Wife of Amun, in ancient Egypt, and the other a dancer, in present day - you are transported back and forth in time between these enchanting women and their worlds. As their stories develop, their worlds grow closer and eventually collide in a burst of literary magic. Beautifully writt ...more
Jay Phillippi
Oct 12, 2013 Jay Phillippi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Profoundly disappointing. Nice writing struggling with wretched story telling, huge plot holes, unexplored relationships of key characters and as poorly conceived of ending as I've read in a long time.

There is so much more that could have done with the material. I rarely give one star ratings.

Full review posts October 23
Kathy
This book interweaves the lives of a modern professional dancer and an ancient Egyptian priestess. Through periods in which they can sense each other, and see through each others' eyes, they each experience what the other is doing and can influence the others' actions. The egyptian parts of the story line were better written and more interesting than the modern sections.
Nicole
Nov 27, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book overall, but the ending chapters didn't make any sense. It also undid any sense I had of the two intertwined stories working together. At that point, I felt like I had wasted my time reading it. The concept was good but got stretched too far, IMO.
The Egyptian parts were my favorite, very colorful and easy to "see" as I read.
Lonna Cunningham
Well ... That was ... Odd.
This book could have worked, but it just didn't quite hang together.
The pieces for a good story all seem to be there, the writing is good, but the shape of the story as a whole just ... Didn't work.

Meh.
Diane
Aug 28, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed learning some about the ancient egyptians but not sure I understood how the ancient and modern stories fit together.
Lynn Voedisch
Aug 16, 2011 Lynn Voedisch rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, I loved it because I wrote the book!
Tammi
Sep 05, 2011 Tammi rated it liked it
This is the story of two women. Rebecca lives in modern-day Chicago and is a dancer for the Waterfront Dance Company. She has gotten the chance of a lifetime to star in their production of Verdi’s Aïda. There are many people who are happy for Rebecca – her boyfriend, Jonas, her roommates, Greta and Allison, sister Amy and her best-friend Raven. Then there is Lenore. She is not too happy about Rebecca getting the lead part, which she herself wants. Strange things are happening to Rebecca though. ...more
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)
Oct 17, 2011 Bonnie (Words at Home Blog) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
The God’s Wife was beautifully written and truly exceeded my expectations. It was a perfect mix of historical and contemporary fiction, switching back and forth between Ancient Egypt and present day Chicago. The focus of this novel is shared between Neferet, daughter of the Pharaoh and the ceremonial wife to the God Amun, and Rebecca, a present day professional dancer in Chicago. I love to read books with alternating point of views but it can be challenging to pull off, especially when the chara ...more
Krystal
Sep 16, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This novel is perfect for readers who aren't quite sure they want to read a historical novel. Surprise! The novel is a cross between ancient Egypt and Chicago, a "God's Wife" and a Chicago Dancer. This novel was very well-researched though, the reader will be able to immerse him/herself in both ancient Egypt and Chicago.

The main characters, Rebecca and Neferet, will become friends to the reader. The reader will root for them to pursue their hopes and dreams and escape from bad situations. Rebec
Anoolka
It had promise but in the end I gave up half way. It's just not what I expected. It's neither purely historical, nor paranormal and the parts taking place in the present time are the least interesting ones. Either have the magic be more prominent or just make it purely historical imho. There's very little connection between the two plots by half way and I have very little interest in the part taking place in the present- the characters are uninteresting and dull.

The historical parts are better
Sahar Sabati
Nov 08, 2013 Sahar Sabati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After avidly devouring Christian Jacq’s novels as a teenager, no other book set in ancient Egypt could grab my attention long enough for me to finish reading it. So when I was asked to review The God’s Wife, I was very hesitant, knowing that I would be extremely biased against it and might give the author a negative review she would not deserve.

I needn’t have worried; as it turns out, I could not put this book down. I was hooked from the first page of the preface, where the author takes the time
Arlene
Feb 16, 2016 Arlene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Could not finish this, it was like dual stories,convoluted and I couldn't care less.
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I love reading about ancient Egypt, and I especially enjoyed reading about someone other than Ramses, Akhenaten, or Nefertiti. The history interwoven in the story was well done and not overbearing. The details made the story come alive. The sci-fi aspect was interesting, a little distracting, but important to the novel. Overall I recommend this book to anyone interested in ancient Egypt, but I can imagine that even if you don't know anything about it at all, this book might well peak your intere ...more
Anne Hartman

I did not like this book very much and felt disappointed at the end - I wanted to quit about 1/2 way through but thought it had to get better. And it really didn't. I think I was bored with it so what i was reading wasn't soaking in, and therefore felt like a lot of details were missing - like the character Rebecca, it felt like I was blacking out and would resurface and not really know what was going on.
Mel
Jun 17, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic story! This is an imaginative premise. I wasn't sure if the plot would work with the two very different stories being played out at the same time. The plot flowed easily without confusing me.

I was sucked in to this book from the start. I felt invested in both women's stories. I couldn't put it down until I found out how everything worked out.
Dawn Spencer
Sep 27, 2011 Dawn Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very interested in reading this book. It was so much more than I expected. I found it so interesting. I loved the way this story went back & forth between 2 different lifetimes. I would like to believe that the girl lives in both worlds in the end so that Lynn could write a 2nd book to this story :) Can't wait to read more of her books in the future.
Fermentum
Little distracting going back and forth in time.
Charesse
Oct 20, 2014 Charesse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted to the Egyptian angle. The concept of two people connected through time speaks to me. However, story felt disjointed, misaligned. As if one side was written then someone said "you know what would be a good idea? if you did this. But your deadline's the same". Loose ends were left unexplained.
Nicole
Sep 09, 2012 Nicole rated it did not like it

The writing just didn't live up to the premise, which put an Egyptian twist on the standard "past lives" type plot. The prose was flat, and some of the plot elements failed to connect. I think with better editing this could have been a fun light read, but it just didn't get there.
Megan Penner
Nov 21, 2013 Megan Penner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going back and forth between ancient Egypt with Neferet, the God's Wife and modern day Chicago with dancer Rebecca this story kept me interested throughout. A fully enjoyable, easy read. However the one downfall was the ending...not exceptionally happy with it, but overall a good book.
Bibliovixen
Jul 22, 2014 Bibliovixen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I preferred the Egyptian sections over the current history sections. The main character in the current history sections was irritating, whiney, and flat. I would have a loved the book to be fleshed out more fully for the Egyptian history section to become the full novel.
Amazing Blair
Excellent writing lifts this above a common historical romance, which this could have been in less able hands. Very clever premise and well researched background means this will be an interesting ride on more than one level.
Katy Thames
I was interested to read this since I enjoy Egyptian history and lore. I struggled to finish this book, it was poorly written in my opinion. I hated the way it ended, yet understood that it needed to end a certain way.
Sarah Louise
Oct 16, 2012 Sarah Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freaking loved this book, read it on my kindle. Lynn Voedisch did a wonderful job with explaining the storyline and characters. This has made it to my Top Ten books, and I'm glad. Loved it to death.
Tally
Dec 08, 2011 Tally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ancient Egypt seems to be the theme of the book's I've read lately. This one had an interesting story line even though it was fairly obvious where the book was headed.
V. Gingerich
I liked the Egyptian history half but didn't really care what happened to the modern main character. I liked learning about ancient Egyptian culture.
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • The Fox
  • Devil's Lair
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • At the Queen's Command (Crown Colonies, #1)
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Moments in Time
  • The Fifth Beauty
  • The Last Drop
  • Escaping Destiny (Tapestry Chronicles, #1)
  • Winds of Change
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Servant of the Gods