Start by marking “Republican Like Me: Infiltrating Red-state, White-ass, And Blue-suit America” as Want to Read:
Republican Like Me: Infiltrating Red-state, White-ass, And Blue-suit America

Republican Like Me: Infiltrating Red-state, White-ass, And Blue-suit America

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When the red states trumped the blue states in the 2004 presidential election, many Democrats were left wondering just what makes the conservative mindset tick. Wonder no more. Join self-described "infiltration journalist" Harmon Leon as he goes undercover to explore what being conservative really means.
A flaming liberal in real life, Leon has been called "a cross between
Published November 7th 2005 by Prometheus Books

To ask other readers questions about Republican Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Republican Like Me

Vince Darcangelo

This review originally appeared in the BOULDER WEEKLY

Behind Enemy Lines
In Republican Like Me, journalist Harmon Leon infiltrates the Red (State) Menace to find out what makes conservatives so dang kooky

by Vince Darcangelo
- - - - - - - - - - - -

They're angry. They're hateful. They love their God, their flag and their country, and if your croissant-eating liberal ass doesn't love it, too, you can damn well leave it—and God help you if your skin is a bit to
Mariah
In Republican Like Me, Harmon Leon, journalist and flaming liberal goes undercover into a a variety of conservative/right-wing groups. He starts trying to shock us by attending a Neo-Nazi meeting at an Applebee's. The participants are at least semi-normal people with very creepy opinions- they mention that they are very family-oriented. The family that hates together stays together? Often at the various events he goes to, he makes provocative statements (not lefty but more righty)

One of the thi
Peacegal
Let’s get the bad news out of the way first: Harmon Leon could use a better editor. The writing style throughout this book can be spotty and there are numerous typos. One has the feeling that with a bit more polish, Republican Like Me coulda been a contender. That said, I still found myself laughing out loud so frequently--especially when Leon would choose an inane catchphrase and repeat it throughout his interactions—that I was asked several times to tone it down.

The premise has the author ado
Mike
This book turned out to be a disappointment. It wasn't at all what I expected it to be. When I read the blurb on the back I expected someone to pretend to be a republican red-stater and possibly provide me with some insight into how it is that they think they way they do. Perhaps let me know how they manage to be such unquestioning automatons. But alas, this is not what occurs in these pages. Instead, Leon goes to a menagerie of political functions and clubs, goes waaaaay over the top pretending ...more
Hatuxka
This was, as his first one, funny as shit, only not quite as funny as his previous one. I read his other one while on a work trip, saved what was unread by the end of trip for the next trip and finished it on like the third trip. Same with this one. Made the lay-overs and after the conference down time bearable and sure did beat TV. You don't think at first this could be that great, but somehow living in deep America as I am, the fact that he is so dead-on about the "folks" he depicts really syn ...more
Dray
I bought this because it was $1 at the used bookstore and because I am a dirty liberal who likes to laugh at people who aren't. (kind of joking)

Like others have said, I enjoyed the content, but the formatting was terrible. It seems like he received no professional opinions when writing. The chapter titles were in a weird font, the text was rarely broken up... It was just kind of painful on the eyes.
Mandy
May 10, 2007 Mandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: democrats & anarchists
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. First chapter: "My dinner at Applebee's with White Supremacists". Need I say more? Well I will.

This guy infiltrates different groups and writes about his experience amongst them. I like it so far, though I have to admit I haven't picked it up in a few days and am only halfway through. Good brief chapters for people who are in between great books.
Oct 26, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good laugh
I know that all the reviews on the back of the book esentially say the same thing but "HILARIOUS" is really the perfect word to describe this book. If you don't like that awkward feeling of laughing outloud at crowded bus stops when no one else knows what your laughing at, make sure to read it at home :)
Patrick
Leftist goes undercover at various conservative gatherings, hangs out at pro-life rallies, repeatedly yells, "Wake up, America!" at NRA meetings, and meets with white supremacists at Applebees. Funny, but not very informative.
Cherie
Funny stuff. A liberal Democrat "dude" infiltrates Republican events including volunteering for Governor Schwarzenegger's campaign. I wouldn't call this non-fiction but the guy did do the things he writes about.
Mell
Not what I expected. Was looking forward to smart criticism and witty insights, but got low brow commentary.
Angela
God, this was hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Laughed my ASS off.
Dane
Funny but over the top liberal.
Steph
HILARIOUS!
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jennifer Daugherty
Jennifer Daugherty marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Chelsea Flores
Chelsea Flores marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Nichole
Nichole is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2013
Elle M.
Elle M. marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Maura
Maura added it
Dec 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Harmon Leon is an award-winning author, performer, and former senior writer for National Lampoon. His latest book, The Infiltrator, was released in 2006, and his writing credits for print and television include NPR, National Geographic, Maxim, Cosmopolitan, The BBC, and Showtime Television Network. He lives and works in San Francisco. (from the publisher's website)"
More about Harmon Leon...
The Harmon Chronicles American Dream The Infiltrator: My Undercover Exploits in Right-wing America National Lampoon Road Trip USA: All the Places Your Dad Never Stopped at The American Dream: Walking in the Shoes of Carnies, Arms Dealers, Immigrant Dreamers, Pot Farmers, and Christian Believ