Start by marking “The Silent and the Lost” as Want to Read:
The Silent and the Lost

The Silent and the Lost

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Alex Salim McKensie, a war baby of the 1971 Bangladesh War of Independence, is adopted by the McKensies, an American family that has lost their only son in Vietnam. Years later, Alex falls in love with Sangeeta Rai, but their happiness is threatened when the enigma of his birth casts a dark shadow over their relationship.
The Silent and the Lost opens with the wedding of Al
Published June 27th 2011 by Pacific Breeze Publishers (first published June 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent and the Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent and the Lost

Patricia
Sep 20, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
http://thejoyofthewrittenword.wordpre... (See my blog post for review plus pictures!!)

When I think of a descriptive word that best describes “The Silent and the Lost” by Abu Zubair, the only word that applies is “beauty”. Beauty in the pages and hardcover binding; beauty in the picture and artwork of the front cover; beauty in Abu Zubair’s words, sentences, paragraphs, and chapters; beauty in the relationships described; beauty in the flow of this incredible novel. Once opened, I did not want to
Mayra
Oct 19, 2011 Mayra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The story starts in Brentwood, California in 1997 at the beautiful wedding of Alex Salim McKensie & Sangeeta Rai, a couple deeply in love. Alex, our hero, was adopted at the age of four in Pakistan by an American couple and brought to the United States in 1972. A war baby haunted by the mystery of his identity, Alex decides to travel to Bangladesh to find out about his ro
Autumn
GoodReads First Reads Giveaway

I went into this book from a critical point of view. Normally I read for the pleasure and escape of it. But you send me a book the least I could do is write a review.That being said after I read the first paragraph I knew my attempts would be in vain. But Id deal with that later my esp told me I was going to adore this story and needless to say I wasn't wrong.

Now being born in 1984 and slightly ignorant about the world i live in I had no idea the tragedies that un
Ming
Feb 05, 2012 Ming rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is generally well written and the main story is well imagined. I believe this book was self-published and as a result (this is very notable!), there are some key elements which tarnished the quality of this book for me as a reader. (The reviews here and Amazon seem...um...er... "overwhelming," due to creative marketing(?).)

This debut could have been significantly stronger. Foremost, this book would have benefitted from a rigorous, professional editor. There are grammatical errors, misp
Lori Henrich
Oct 24, 2011 Lori Henrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is war baby of the 1971 Bangladesh War of Independence, he is adopted by the McKensies in America. The McKensies had recently lost their son in Vietnam. The Silent and the Lost opens with the wedding of Alex and Sangeeta, and then goes back in time to 1971 and the political conflict in East Pakistan.

It is a story of heroism and betrayal, family and friendship, love and anguish. This is the story of the nine months of revolution that created Bangladesh. A story of two generations spread acr
Elizabeth
Jun 05, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
The Silent and the Lost is an interesting and educational novel about the war between East and West Pakistan in the 1970s. A very good book about history I did not even know exsisted. I Really enjoyed reading this book. It is a long story but well worth the Read. Proves so many cultures are differant , but yet we are so much alike in many ways. I won this book on good Reads Thank you Abu for a great book.
Inga Aksamit
Mar 08, 2016 Inga Aksamit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent account of an important international event

Historically accurate, this novel illustrates a tragic chapter in the emergence of Bangladesh. I was an American child living in Dacca at the beginning of the war and this book helped me understand the vague memories I had of a terrifying time before we were evacuated.
Carol
Nov 29, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Goodreads for the chance to read this book.

This was a very moving story taking place in Bangladesh during 1971. I was 9 years old at the time and do not recall hearing about this revolution, only of VietNam which is mentioned often. The human toll was devastating, as in any war. This story was written with care for description so the reader feels like a part of it.

This was not an enjoyable read nor an easy one (for the most part) due to the subject matter, yet I am glad I had the oppo
Rebekah
Apr 02, 2013 Rebekah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this story based in history, it was something I was not familiar with. The thing that bothered me about this book was the footnotes. Footnotes are there to briefly explain something you may not understand, but in this book the footnotes was almost it's own story. I feel the author had trouble cutting down the information, which is fine, but I would have preferred it woven in to the story instead of as a separate story, or footnote.
Andd Becker
The focus of the novel is Bangladeshi history: the genocide of 1971. Writing about how this event affects the lives of the characters is the author's challenge. The author provides a helpful glossary.
The setting includes the East Pakistan/Indian border and East Pakistan in 1971. The triumph is the independence of Bangladesh.
I received this book free through the goodreads FIRST READS program.

Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Shourya Roy
Shourya Roy marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Minhajul Hossain
Minhajul Hossain marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Morium Ali
Morium Ali marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Swetha Chodavarpu
Swetha Chodavarpu marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Jean Michelle
Jean Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Bhavika Mehta
Bhavika Mehta marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
heba abdelall
heba abdelall marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Kanita Khaled
Kanita Khaled marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Effi Tram
Effi Tram marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Samayya
Samayya marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Munsur Shajib
Munsur Shajib marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Maria Smalsky
Maria Smalsky rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Q&A with Abu Zubair: A novel as a braided collection of short stories 1 3 Aug 04, 2011 09:12PM
  • Daughters of Iraq
  • Shedding Skin: Two Tales of Horror and Identity
  • The Queen and the Courtesan
  • Rominus: The Initiation
  • The Spirit of Nora
  • A Festival Of Cherries
  • My Own Revolution
  • Sleeper's Run
  • Devoured (Cold Grove, #1)
  • Man Against the Future: 17 Topflight Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Yarns.
  • A Vision Beyond Abuse
  • Molly September
  • Heroes Mentors and Friends
  • How David Met Sarah
  • The Gift of Stoppage Time
  • Harbinger of Evil
  • Buffalo Gals
  • Private Rights and Public Problems: The Global Economics of Intellectual Property in the 21st Century
Abu Zubair is an author, an electrical engineer and a California farmer.
He was born in Dhaka, Bangladesh. His father was the Joint Director of Industries of East Pakistan.
He lived through the horrific nine months of the Bangladesh War of Independence and wrote ‘Memoirs of a Child,’ an essay describing his experience during 1971, that won the Shankar Children’s Award from the Prime Minister of Indi
More about Abu Zubair...