Start by marking “Perlman's Ordeal: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Perlman's Ordeal: A Novel

Perlman's Ordeal: A Novel

3.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
New York Times Notable Book of the Year

One evening in London in 1906, Dr. August Perlman--classical music lover, hashish devotee, and a scrupulously scientific pioneer of "clinical suggestion" (or hypnotism)--is about to leave for the symphony when a hysterical teenage girl is brought into his office. It seems that another girl's personality is living inside her. Eventuall
Published October 6th 2000 by Picador (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Perlman's Ordeal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perlman's Ordeal

Karyl
Jan 08, 2011 Karyl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book so much. I have been fascinated by Victorian England, spiritualism, and classical music (with an emphasis on the Russians) for much of my adult life, and I figured this book would be right up my alley. However, though I devoured the first hundred pages within a short time, the rest of the novel began to drag. I found it so incredibly vague that I had a hard time following what was going on, and indeed, it made it difficult to even care.

I admit part of my problem may be
Jack
Sep 27, 2008 Jack rated it really liked it
At times, a fragile spiral of a shell, holding attention, but allowing a scrutable "dissection." I found myself both deeply involved and at a distance from the life of the doctor. Mr. Hansen's word choice is beautiful, and worth the read simply to roll them around the mind. His description of music by the doctor early in the book is as well-written a selection as I have ever come across. Hansen brings the story to an end both mysterious and predictable. His doctor leaves the story a different ma ...more
Greg
May 15, 2010 Greg rated it it was amazing
Why doesn't everyone just read Brooks Hansen all the time. I admit a preference for "The Chess Garden," but this was still astounding and lovely. I mean, do you prefer "Top Hat" or "Shall We Dance?"

It also may be the Perfect Abigail Storm: troubled 13-year-old girl, Victorian England, supernatural events, fin de siecle spiritualism, and random & eloquent art criticism.
Peter
Apr 20, 2008 Peter rated it really liked it
A very interesting work. Like Toole and The Neon Bible, it is hard to fairly assess a work when it looms in the shadow of the true greatness of another of the author's own works. I struggled between 3 and 4 starsfor this; probably 3.5 for me, but the benefit of the doubt must apply here due to the fact that this same man wrote The Chess Garden.
Rod
Jan 29, 2011 Rod rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book more than I did, especially since The Chess Garden was so sublime. Perlman's Ordeal at least held my interest enough for me to finish it, but it didn't stick with me the way The Chess Garden does to this day.
Sue
Dec 28, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Kind of a weird story. It is set back in the early 1900's when hypnosis was beginning to be used in treatment. The book was somewhat hard to follow. I'm not sure I liked it. A little girl is brought in for treatment and she appears to be possessed.
Mary Washburn
Mary Washburn rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Alexis
Alexis added it
Feb 20, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Steve King
Steve King rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Joanne
Joanne added it
Jan 23, 2016
Trish Perry
Trish Perry rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Melissa Thompson
Melissa Thompson rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Drew Roberts
Drew Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
cks520
cks520 marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Reed Bernet
Reed Bernet rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Paddy Healey
Paddy Healey rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2014
Kelly and Geoff
Kelly and Geoff rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Tracyene
Tracyene rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014