Start by marking “Border Crossings” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Border Crossings

Border Crossings

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Two worlds collide when the violence of one of Mexico's most violent cartels spills over the border.An American college student has gone missing in Cancun.The police and government are more interested inprotecting the popular vacation destination's image than finding the truth.Catherine James has been hired to find the missing girl, but she soon discovers herself in deep w ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Border Crossings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Border Crossings

Jeri Mihm
I read the updated (edited and corrected) Kindle edition. Found very few grammatical or spelling errors. The story - wow - it was well written and I'm really kind of surprised its self-published - a good editor with a major publisher should have seen through the spelling issues and snatched it up.

I liked this book very much. The intersecting plots were intriguing and I could not wait to see what happened next. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Chelsea Berry
Jan 30, 2013 Chelsea Berry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature audiences
Having spent 20 years "crossing borders" and knowing many others who have done so as well- both legally and surrepticiously- this book captivated me. The heroine's almost miraculous ability to solve things, and her innumerable connections are a little hard to believe, but it was still a good read. I found the details of the interwoven story lines very similar to many real-life scenarios and news stories over the years. I found myself thinking everyone with an opinion about "the border" should re ...more
Toledo (T.J.)
This was a bit of a tough read, but very likely true to life. It was worth the time for the reminder of the problem with human trafficing.
Gophergirl58
Wow, what an action packed story! And with it being over 700 pages (then an additional two chapters of the author's newest book to boot), it was quite the read. I have to admit, however, that I had a difficult time going to sleep after completing it, with that being due to the subject matter and all the violence/killing that took place within it. I frequently travel through the area author Weems described in the book - i.e., the Texas area near Guadalupe Mountains and near the Mexican border - a ...more
Margie
This had the potential to be a really good book. The topics it covered are relevant today to the violence, drug cartels, illegal human smuggling and kinappings going on in Mexico. However the author's writing was very simplistic and boring and there were soooo many grammatical errors that it was very distracting. This was a free Kindle book so I only hope someone edits it before it goes into print.
Rachel
A self published kindle freebie, I wasn't expecting much after the last one that I read. I was however, pleasantly surprised, this was a fast-paced thriller with a kick ass female protagonist that I could relate to. The twists and turns were epically good and I'm surprised that they author couldn't get this published the traditional way. All in all a great read.
Kristi Cramer
Border Crossings is a disturbing book, one that gripped me tight and held on. The topic is a hard, desperate struggle to comprehend. As Catherine James says at one point: you really don't know until you've been there.

The story of the Mexican girls in Texas literally gave me nightmares in which I was desperately trying to escape the life they are forced to live. Weems paints a grim and heart wrenching picture of what can and assuredly does happen to girls who are just looking for a better life.

T
Monte
I go to Mexico a lot and the main rule in Mexico is support their economy and mind your own business as you are in a different country. Everyone is very friendly and love Americans. This book portrays the majority of Mexico and its people in a false light. Typical of anyone who's never been. There are of course bad people ... but every country in the world has its good and bad. Anyway, I enjoyed the story line even though my Kindle edition has a lot of grammatical errors. Julio is my favorite ch ...more
Megan
Couldn't put this one down - the multi-layered plot had me intrigued from the start and delivered on its promise of fast paced action. Want more!
Jennifer Edwards
This book was really good...but I can't give it the 5 stars it would deserve because of a couple of things. For one, the grammatical errors are abundant and at several parts, I had to re-read and edit to the best of my ability. This distracted me from a good story. Another reason is that there were some lose ends that bother me. Without giving anything away, I have no examples to offer. It really bothered me that some things were never wrapped up tightly. However, the story line was great and mi ...more
Val Wilkerson
Two different stories running side by side. On one side a young American girl is murdered by
the drug cartel in CanCun, at the same time a young mexican girl has been smuggled into the
U.S. under the assumption they they would aid her in finding work, however she was kept in a trailer
along with other young girls and was made to be a prostitute, also by the drug cartels. Interesting
stories, just a little to unbelievable as an American woman and her former lover stepped in to
just about single handed
Carly Tume
Very good book, tells the story of 2 sides. Keeps you gripped from the beginning, its a shame that situations like this occur all the time and people are powerless to help others. Especially since gangs are becoming bigger and more powerful in countries such as Mexico.
Jean
Great story, but I think the book went from the author's draft to the publishing company. There are glaring grammar errors throughout the story. A college girl on spring break in Cancun, Mexico, is kidnapped and murdered. This is the beginning of the story that leads to investigation of Mexican drug cartels, illegal crossings at the Mexican-US border, drugs being brought into the US and Mexican girls being sold into prostitution. A mystery thriller with plenty of action.
Luke A. Bunker
A phenomenal book! Deep, rich characters, and a solid, well-developed plot make me think this book somehow fell though the publishing cracks. There were some grammatical issues with the ebook, but other than that, I HIGHLY recommend this very eye-opening novel. Sheds light on the lengths people go to in order to come to America, and the tragic and scary drug cartel situation in Mexico. Excellent book, and I can't wait for the sequel that it appears may be coming down the line.
Melissa Summers
Great thriller.
When young college girls head off for spring break to Cancun, they are seeking only a temporary break from life not a permanent end to life.
When young girls from Mexico head off, they are looking for a better life across the border, only to discover that the U.S. is not the "land of the free".
Great characters, great story. The only thing keeping this from 5 stars is the delay on merging the storylines.
Judi
It was a good book overall that reflected the extremely dark and painful world of human trafficing mixed with drug trafficing. I did find the deeds of the hero and heroin (tortured and killing)with the perpetrators to be a little unbelievable as far as in reality, they would not get away with a lot of what they did. There were a lot of grammaticle mistakes in this book but as I said, overall I did like it.
J. Ewbank
This is a solid book by Michael Weems. The setting involves running females from Mexico to America to be prostitutes. That is enough of the plot, becaue I don't want to destroy the book for you. It is a book that is interesting, provocatve, and provides you with a wonderful story as well. What more could you ask?

J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesle's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms"
Kathie
Kept my interest. Several stories told in alternating chapters. Looks like #1 in the author's Catherine James series. Murdered tourist, border crossing from Mexico across Rio Grande into USA, sex trafficking, cartels, and romance...hmmmm. Strong and weak writing. Indie publish with lots of typos which is exceedingly distracting. Same author as Ghosts of Varner Creek but very different genre.
Andrea Beaudin
I was really impressed by the way two seemingly unrelated stories came together. although the intro is a bit confusing with chapters going back and forth between situations, the piece weaves together well. you will become invested in the characters. my one issue is that there is a lot of violence in this; it is not gratuitous, but be aware that this will have a fair amount of violent situations.
Katie
I actually found this book by accident on my nook. I was waiting for some to finish a book I wanted to read and found this as a lend me copy from a friend. I couldn't put this book down. Yes there may be some grammatical errors but it doesn't take anything from the story. I loved this and if you are looking for something a little different but a great story then you need to read this book!!!!!!!
Donna
Since I have crossed many borders, and live across the border from the U.S. this book kept me on the edge of my seat. Mr. Weems has spun a tale that which could be taking place at this very moment. He did an amazing job of combining different characters, but still kept the fast pace throughout the book.
I'll be reading more, to be sure, by this author
Joanne Macglashan
I liked this book as it delivered a difficult message very simply without too much overplay, I was affected by the characters that were important and not distracted by unnecessary characterisation or scene setting. I found it in the kindle store as a freebie and on the whole not too disappointed regardless of spelling/grammar issues.
Deanna
Border crossing was a very timely read for me. I happened to be in Southern Arizona for the first time! I also experienced the presence of Border Patrol everywhere for the first time. The book grabbed me from the start and was a page turned to the very end. The author has a gritty style. I would recommend this book.
Michael Weems
Feb 16, 2012 Michael Weems added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
02/10/2012

Hi all,

Edits complete and the paperback is now out. I also just got a really nice review from Patricia C. Doerner, acclaimed biographer. I'm excited to see how people like the new edition after all the edits that were made. Hope you all enjoy!

Nila
Amazing story,with lots action! Kept my attention the way through. Dealt with topics in the news today such as violence,guns,illegal human smuggling drug cartels,and kinappings going on in Mexico! I really enjoyed reading it on my Nook.I liked the fact it was written simply.
Darren Keighley
I got this book off Amazon as a freebie & after reading it I would have happily paid.
What a fantastic read.
Interesting to see as well that it was self published.
A lot of people said it had a lot of grammar errors etc. but I only noticed one spelling mistake.
A must read.
Cassandra Joseph
great book, pulled from the headlines. action packefd and kept you wanting to read more. A shame to know stuff like this is happening still today. Makes me miss the days when i lived in south Texas and we could walk across the border dshop, eat, and not have to worry.
Jakenv
In view of current affairs this is a timely novel. Characters were substantive which helped story move along in a realistic manner. Twists were believable as moved toward an acceptable ending. Look forward to reading more from this author.
April
I got the second edition a few days ago and I really like it. I guess the author fixed the errors because I didn't really notice any and the story was really good. I hated to put it down for work and ended up finishing it at lunch.
  • Test Pilot's Daughter: Revenge
  • The Devil's Deep
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Late Rain
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Blackbird Fly (Bennett Sisters #1)
  • Enemy in Blue: The Chase (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers, #1)
  • Buying Murder  (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #3)
  • The Dead Room
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • Double Exposure
  • No Time To Run
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • The Unburied Dead (Thomas Hutton, #1)
  • Dead on Demand
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
The Ghosts of Varner Creek Five Fears of Fatherhood (a short play collection)