Start by marking “Border Crossings” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Border Crossings

Michael Weems

Border Crossings

Two worlds collide when the violence of one of Mexico's most violent cartels spills over the border.An American college student has gone missing in Cancun.The police and government are more interested inprotecting the popular vacation destination's image than finding the truth.Catherine James has been hired to find the missing girl, but she soon discovers herself in deep w ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Border Crossings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Border Crossings

Jeri Mihm
May 15, 2012 Jeri Mihm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I read the updated (edited and corrected) Kindle edition. Found very few grammatical or spelling errors. The story - wow - it was well written and I'm really kind of surprised its self-published - a good editor with a major publisher should have seen through the spelling issues and snatched it up.

I liked this book very much. The intersecting plots were intriguing and I could not wait to see what happened next. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Chelsea Berry
Jan 30, 2013 Chelsea Berry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature audiences
Having spent 20 years "crossing borders" and knowing many others who have done so as well- both legally and surrepticiously- this book captivated me. The heroine's almost miraculous ability to solve things, and her innumerable connections are a little hard to believe, but it was still a good read. I found the details of the interwoven story lines very similar to many real-life scenarios and news stories over the years. I found myself thinking everyone with an opinion about "the border" should re ...more
Toledo (T.J.)
Dec 16, 2012 Toledo (T.J.) rated it liked it
This was a bit of a tough read, but very likely true to life. It was worth the time for the reminder of the problem with human trafficing.
Gophergirl58
Oct 27, 2013 Gophergirl58 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an action packed story! And with it being over 700 pages (then an additional two chapters of the author's newest book to boot), it was quite the read. I have to admit, however, that I had a difficult time going to sleep after completing it, with that being due to the subject matter and all the violence/killing that took place within it. I frequently travel through the area author Weems described in the book - i.e., the Texas area near Guadalupe Mountains and near the Mexican border - a ...more
Margie
Aug 13, 2011 Margie rated it liked it
This had the potential to be a really good book. The topics it covered are relevant today to the violence, drug cartels, illegal human smuggling and kinappings going on in Mexico. However the author's writing was very simplistic and boring and there were soooo many grammatical errors that it was very distracting. This was a free Kindle book so I only hope someone edits it before it goes into print.
Rachel
Nov 22, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A self published kindle freebie, I wasn't expecting much after the last one that I read. I was however, pleasantly surprised, this was a fast-paced thriller with a kick ass female protagonist that I could relate to. The twists and turns were epically good and I'm surprised that they author couldn't get this published the traditional way. All in all a great read.
Adi
Aug 16, 2011 Adi rated it did not like it
While the story was interesting, this book was probably the most poorly written (grammar and spelling) book I have ever read.
Sonia
Feb 27, 2012 Sonia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very very hard book to read. So sad that things like this actually happen.
E.R. Yatscoff
Aug 12, 2015 E.R. Yatscoff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Author says he's not a good editor and he's right. The errors aren't big but would be easily caught with some diligence. Grammatical errors and capitalization are annoying bumps in the ride. The story suffers from lack of imaging and believe ability. Catherine sure is good with a gun, which is unexplained as she's a contract lawyer. The Mex. kid sure knows his English--very well spoken for a homeless street kid. The Mex. cops give her and Matt a lot of leeway--too much, making things too easy. I ...more
Kristi Cramer
Apr 06, 2013 Kristi Cramer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Border Crossings is a disturbing book, one that gripped me tight and held on. The topic is a hard, desperate struggle to comprehend. As Catherine James says at one point: you really don't know until you've been there.

The story of the Mexican girls in Texas literally gave me nightmares in which I was desperately trying to escape the life they are forced to live. Weems paints a grim and heart wrenching picture of what can and assuredly does happen to girls who are just looking for a better life.

T
Monte
Nov 17, 2011 Monte rated it really liked it
I go to Mexico a lot and the main rule in Mexico is support their economy and mind your own business as you are in a different country. Everyone is very friendly and love Americans. This book portrays the majority of Mexico and its people in a false light. Typical of anyone who's never been. There are of course bad people ... but every country in the world has its good and bad. Anyway, I enjoyed the story line even though my Kindle edition has a lot of grammatical errors. Julio is my favorite ch ...more
lynne
Feb 12, 2016 lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Excellent full of action. The story flowed between characters easily. Couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read more from this author.
Tabtha McCarty
Jan 08, 2015 Tabtha McCarty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book :-)

Could use some grammar editing, but otherwise it's a very good book, I didn't want to put it down lol...
Megan
Apr 27, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this one down - the multi-layered plot had me intrigued from the start and delivered on its promise of fast paced action. Want more!
Jennifer Edwards
Oct 28, 2011 Jennifer Edwards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good...but I can't give it the 5 stars it would deserve because of a couple of things. For one, the grammatical errors are abundant and at several parts, I had to re-read and edit to the best of my ability. This distracted me from a good story. Another reason is that there were some lose ends that bother me. Without giving anything away, I have no examples to offer. It really bothered me that some things were never wrapped up tightly. However, the story line was great and mi ...more
Dave Nichols
Keeps your interest throughout. Ending is a little hard to believe.
Val Wilkerson
Aug 20, 2011 Val Wilkerson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Two different stories running side by side. On one side a young American girl is murdered by
the drug cartel in CanCun, at the same time a young mexican girl has been smuggled into the
U.S. under the assumption they they would aid her in finding work, however she was kept in a trailer
along with other young girls and was made to be a prostitute, also by the drug cartels. Interesting
stories, just a little to unbelievable as an American woman and her former lover stepped in to
just about single handed
Carly Tume
Feb 26, 2014 Carly Tume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, tells the story of 2 sides. Keeps you gripped from the beginning, its a shame that situations like this occur all the time and people are powerless to help others. Especially since gangs are becoming bigger and more powerful in countries such as Mexico.
Jean
Nov 14, 2011 Jean rated it really liked it
Great story, but I think the book went from the author's draft to the publishing company. There are glaring grammar errors throughout the story. A college girl on spring break in Cancun, Mexico, is kidnapped and murdered. This is the beginning of the story that leads to investigation of Mexican drug cartels, illegal crossings at the Mexican-US border, drugs being brought into the US and Mexican girls being sold into prostitution. A mystery thriller with plenty of action.
Luke A. Bunker
A phenomenal book! Deep, rich characters, and a solid, well-developed plot make me think this book somehow fell though the publishing cracks. There were some grammatical issues with the ebook, but other than that, I HIGHLY recommend this very eye-opening novel. Sheds light on the lengths people go to in order to come to America, and the tragic and scary drug cartel situation in Mexico. Excellent book, and I can't wait for the sequel that it appears may be coming down the line.
Melissa Summers
Jun 29, 2012 Melissa Summers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, kindle
Great thriller.
When young college girls head off for spring break to Cancun, they are seeking only a temporary break from life not a permanent end to life.
When young girls from Mexico head off, they are looking for a better life across the border, only to discover that the U.S. is not the "land of the free".
Great characters, great story. The only thing keeping this from 5 stars is the delay on merging the storylines.
Judi
Sep 14, 2012 Judi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ok
It was a good book overall that reflected the extremely dark and painful world of human trafficing mixed with drug trafficing. I did find the deeds of the hero and heroin (tortured and killing)with the perpetrators to be a little unbelievable as far as in reality, they would not get away with a lot of what they did. There were a lot of grammaticle mistakes in this book but as I said, overall I did like it.
J. Ewbank
This is a solid book by Michael Weems. The setting involves running females from Mexico to America to be prostitutes. That is enough of the plot, becaue I don't want to destroy the book for you. It is a book that is interesting, provocatve, and provides you with a wonderful story as well. What more could you ask?

J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesle's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms"
Kathie
Sep 08, 2013 Kathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept my interest. Several stories told in alternating chapters. Looks like #1 in the author's Catherine James series. Murdered tourist, border crossing from Mexico across Rio Grande into USA, sex trafficking, cartels, and romance...hmmmm. Strong and weak writing. Indie publish with lots of typos which is exceedingly distracting. Same author as Ghosts of Varner Creek but very different genre.
Andrea Beaudin
Jan 18, 2013 Andrea Beaudin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really impressed by the way two seemingly unrelated stories came together. although the intro is a bit confusing with chapters going back and forth between situations, the piece weaves together well. you will become invested in the characters. my one issue is that there is a lot of violence in this; it is not gratuitous, but be aware that this will have a fair amount of violent situations.
Katie
I actually found this book by accident on my nook. I was waiting for some to finish a book I wanted to read and found this as a lend me copy from a friend. I couldn't put this book down. Yes there may be some grammatical errors but it doesn't take anything from the story. I loved this and if you are looking for something a little different but a great story then you need to read this book!!!!!!!
Donna
Apr 20, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I have crossed many borders, and live across the border from the U.S. this book kept me on the edge of my seat. Mr. Weems has spun a tale that which could be taking place at this very moment. He did an amazing job of combining different characters, but still kept the fast pace throughout the book.
I'll be reading more, to be sure, by this author
Joanne Macglashan
I liked this book as it delivered a difficult message very simply without too much overplay, I was affected by the characters that were important and not distracted by unnecessary characterisation or scene setting. I found it in the kindle store as a freebie and on the whole not too disappointed regardless of spelling/grammar issues.
Deanna
Sep 19, 2012 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Border crossing was a very timely read for me. I happened to be in Southern Arizona for the first time! I also experienced the presence of Border Patrol everywhere for the first time. The book grabbed me from the start and was a page turned to the very end. The author has a gritty style. I would recommend this book.
  • Test Pilot's Daughter: Revenge
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • The Kult
  • Hidden Steel
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Double Exposure
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Ripped Apart
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Seeds of Vengeance (Kendall O'Dell #4)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • Monster in the Mirror
  • Final Vector
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Buying Murder  (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #3)