Start by marking “Treks Not Taken” as Want to Read:
Treks Not Taken

Treks Not Taken

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Parody: The Final Frontier Now you can cruise the most hilarious sector of the space-time continuum, with this collection of twenty Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes not by the leading lights of the Western literary tradition: James Joyce, Ernest Hemingway, Jackie Collins...

Steven Boyett transports you into the sort of alternative universes and avid reader or Trekker
Published August 26th 1998 by Harper Perennial (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Treks Not Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treks Not Taken

Josh
Mar 12, 2008 Josh marked it as to-read
Vonnegut + Trek = Must Read
Andrea
This is a hilarious collection of Star Trek episode parodies- I'm not that big of a ST fan, but these stories had me laughing out loud. Imagine episodes written by JD Salinger, Ayn Rand, Herman Melville, Stephen King. Steven Boyett does a great job of capturing each author's voice.
Aaron
I recently ran across this title and was quite excited. The author carefully blends Star Trek: The Next Generation with the writing style of any number of great authors including Herman Melville, Jackie Collins, Anthony Burgess, Joseph Conrad, James Joyce, Joseph Heller, Tom Clancy, J.D. Salinger, Kurt Vonnegut, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Ayn Rand, Jackie Collins, Ernest Hemingway, Jack Kerouac, and even Dr. Seuss.

Boyett really captures the feel of the original works he is drawing from, whether it
Clackamas
I was very entertained by this one. It is now my new bathroom book.

*Note: be sure to take the following points into account when deciding whether to read this book*

1. I am a pretty big geek and count the end of Star Trek Enterprise, which marked the end of the Star Trek franchise, as one of the most tragic moments in television history (though it must be noted that part of my grief over the end of the series was due to my huge crushes on Scott Bakula and Connor Trinneer).

2. The only people tha
Honeybadger
A witty idea, and the short stories are very quick little vignettes. On the whole though, this wasn’t terribly satisfying. You understand the joke from the cover, reading the stories is a little pointless, and the writing can be fairly weak. More fun was skipping the title page and trying to guess the author being parodied by the short story. I do love books about books, so at the end of the day this 2 star book gets 3 from me.
Cathrine Bonham
Mar 10, 2011 Cathrine Bonham rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trekkers who watched but didn't really like TNG
This book is really less about making fun of Star Trek: The Next Generation than it is about making fun of the writing styles of some of literature's most off beat authors such as James Joyce, Jack Kerouac and even Dr. Seuss. Although Star Trek:TNG is dumped on quite a bit as well. Such as in the story "Trek of Darkness" where a typecast Bill Shatner retuns to warn Stewart to abandon ship before his career is ruined. FYI this author really has somthing against Shatner.

Anyway most of the stories
Tiara
The blurb on the cover says, "What If Stephen King, Anne Rice, Kurt Vonnegut, and Other Literary Greats Had Written Episodes of Star Trek : The Next Generation?" I will admit the author has an uncanny gift of imitating the writing style of other authors, and it had the potential to be really funny. However, I found the "humor" in this book too juvenile for my tastes, which is a hard thing to accomplish being that I am an avid lover of funny movies that feature what many people consider juvenile ...more
Steven
As another reviewer has mentioned this book is really more about making fun of various famous author's styles then ST:TNG. If you are a big ST:TNG fan but are not familiar with most of the authors that are parodied then I feel that you will be disappointed. If on the other hand you have read most of the authors then you will find this funny and enjoyable but In a low chuckle sort of way. I did. It is not knee slapping hilarity but a nice change of pace if you are currently reading some "heavier" ...more
lynne naranek
This parody answers the important question: What if famous authors had written episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation?

The result: some minorly entertaining chapters that describe ST:TNG episodes. I suppose it would help to already know beforehand some characteristics of the authors' style - that's where my limited breadth and depth of "literature" or "common (US-)school reading assignments" tends to show. But still, overall pretty readable - I believe I did chuckle or LoL in a few places.
Kathleen Dixon
The author has done a good job of mimicking the different authors' voices - very clever - though I can only say that with surety about the few that I've actually read. I possibly would have enjoyed it more if I had read the books referenced, but most of them don't interest me anyway ... (Famous doesn't necessarily mean they appeal). So this was a bit of a disappointment.
TheSaint
Imagine Star Trek: TNG episodes written by Ernest Hemingway, Stephen King and Dr. Seuss! Of course the "authors" of these scripts never saw them produced, and if you read this parody, called Treks Not Taken, you’ll understand why.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sadly, this is not as funny as you'd hope. Star Trek done in cartoony versions of each of the famous author's styles, it wore out it's welcome quickly, as there wasn't anything more to it than that.
Michelle
This is a fun humor anthology of Star Trek: TNG parodies in the style of famous authors. It's funny and a little strange. I nice breezy read.
Deranged Pegasus
A wonderfully crazy and fun takes on the show. Perfect even for those with only the most basic knowledge of The Next Generation.
Joanna
Honestly I didn't read much of this book. But the one that makes fun of Bret Easton Ellis is GOLD.
Paul
Aug 05, 2010 Paul added it
Loved it. Great parody stories of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Suzanne Costner
Jun 10, 2007 Suzanne Costner marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: silly people
This title sounds silly enough to intrigue me. I am a geek.
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 04, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
p
p marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • The World of Star Trek
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • World Without End (Star Trek Adventures, #10)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • Cold Wars (Star Trek New Frontier: Gateways, #6)
  • To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #3)
  • Federations
  • Sarek
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • Star Trek 9
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Complete Yes Prime Minister
Steven R. Boyett lives in Southern California and wouldn't have it any other way. Steve has been a writing teacher, editor, martial-arts instructor, and professional paper marbler, among other things. He is too modest to admit it, but he plays a mean digeridoo. His short stories have appeared in numerous magazines and anthologies, and he has also written comic books and a draft of the movie Toy St ...more
More about Steven R. Boyett...
Ariel Elegy Beach The Architect of Sleep Mortality Bridge Subterranean Magazine Winter 2013