Start by marking “Texas Hold Him (Leisure Historical Romance)” as Want to Read:
Texas Hold Him (Leisure Historical Romance)

Texas Hold Him (Leisure Historical Romance)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  484 ratings  ·  58 reviews
To save her family from ruin, a Southern belle appeals to a high-stakes gambler to teach her poker, but he’s more interested in giving her lessons in love.
Published (first published March 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Texas Hold Him, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Hold Him

Misfit
New Orleans, 1870. Charlotte (Lottie) Mason is under the gun to get money and get it fast to pay off the blackmailer threatening to expose her crippled father for the crime of murder. She hears about the big bucks that can be won in a game of cards aboard the river boats and decides that's her best bet to raise the money she needs and she hires on as a waitress and hopes to convince the notorious gambler Obediah Straights (Dyer) to teach her the ropes.

"She had told her family she would be away f
texxie-prufreads.blogspot.com
"All in? Hell, he's give her his left nut to get all into her. Or at least he would if she did'nt already have it.

~Dyer"

I absolutely loved this book. This is outside of my favorite genre (Paranmormal Romance) but, it was free for my Kindle so I downloaded it a few weeks ago. It was'nt until a friend started reading about it and gushing over it, that I decided to read it sooner than I originally planned.

Texas Hold Him is a delicious little page turner that had me swooning more than Lottie's poo
Joanna Shupe
This is a great book, full of sass and humor. Set in the Restoration along the Mississippi River. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it, esp if you're looking for an American historical. So much fun!
Deborah
I loved this Historical Romance by Lisa Cooke set in the old west. It was so much fun to read and as soon as I read page one, I was drawn in by the rich characters, great actions, fantastic humor that made me laugh out loud. I loved the sexual tension that at times sent shivers all the way to my toes and I was so sad to see it end.

Lisa's writing brings the characters to life and you feel as if they could be real. I loved the situations that they found themselves in while on the river boat and at
Alexis Villery
Charlotte who goes by the alias, Lottie Mace, must come up with the $15,000 demanded by a blackmailer in order to save her ailing father's life. Dyer drowns his pain in gambling and drinking on gambling boats while he searches for his family's killer on stops. When a certain Lottie Mace comes to him for gambling lessons so she can win the $25,000 prize at a big tournament, he is intrigued enough to help. His protective instinct soon kicks in and he can't help but be as invested in Lottie winning ...more
Splage
This was the Book of the Month read for my medieval/western romance group. A fun read that was predictable and sometimes corny, but I really enjoyed it and give it a solid 4 stars. I just loved the hero and heroine, they were funny together with sizzling chemistry and the sexual tension was very hot, but I would classify this book as mild in the sex scene department. I usually like more, but it worked in this story because the H&h were such perfect matches for each other. It was your typical ...more
Saralee
This was a fun book! I loved the hero, Dyer Straits, and the way he kept trying to hold onto his macho swagger despite his growing feelings for Lottie.
And Lottie was a sweet and determined heroine, trying to learn how to play poker while resisting Dyer's advances.
If you like Southern belles, riverboat gamblers, high-stakes poker games, and a relationship with a slow, steamy burn, then this book is for you.
Because of its fun romance and lighthearted action, this story reminded me a little of M
Amanda
Some readers are complaining that this book was unbelievable fluff. That's what I liked about it. I don't always want a deep, serious story. There's a lot of humor in this book and I love the banter between Dyer and Lottie. I read this during a weekend vacation when I was looking for something fun and enjoyable to read and this fit perfectly.
Stephanie Haefner
I really liked this book! I've just recently started reading historicals and this time period definitely piqued my interest. I am a huge Gone With the Wind fan, so the pre war and post war times fascinate me. I loved these characters...the main characters, and also the secondary characters.
Brit Blaise
This book just kept surprising me. I read it on the long flight to Mexico, and it's a page turner. While the plot might've been contrived...riverboat gambler meets southern belle virgin... It wasn't! It was fresh and unique! I look forward to Lisa Cook's next book.
Meg ♥
Nice quick historical romance. Picked this up for free on the Nook and was very happy with it. The romance was great, the characters were sweet, and it was worth the download. Loved the fact that is also taught a mini poker lesson inside the book.
Heidi
First time reading this author and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Dialog was funny and frequent and the chenistrty between H & h was great! Will definately be looking forward to more by Lisa Cooke!
Toya
very good book,I loved it from start to finish.I'm not a fan of love stories but i love how their romance happen slowly and naturally. will recommend to everyone that love a good old texas romance.
McKayla
I really liked this one. There was a lot of banter between these two that it made me never want to get to the end. Also things weren't drawn out like normal. It was a nice refreshing read.
Jane
Sometimes what you need to get your mind off worries beyond your control is a period romance novel. What can I say? I'm a girl.
Dalba Castrillon
I really enjoyed this book. Made me smile and laugh a lot. Just the right combination of sweetness, romance and comedy!
Anne OK
Entertaining quick read set on a gambling boat headed for St. Louis. Quick-witted characters and a nice warm romance.
Jane Stewart
The characters and story were predictable. I didn’t see the reasons for relationships to develop.

STORY BRIEF:
The New Orleans Mason family lost their land and wealth due to the Civil War and carpetbaggers. Harold was a confederate soldier who suffered a stroke and lives with his daughter Lottie in a small house. A blackmailer tells Lottie he saw Harold commit a murder and will tell the authorities unless Lottie gives him $15,000. Harold’s mind is too weak to remember or defend himself, and Lottie
Nancy Bennett
I really liked the characters, Lottie and Dyer, a lot, which should have meant 4 stars, but there were just too many implausibilities and such in the plot for me to rate it that high. The characters were people I cared about; the backstories were important but didn't overshadow the present, and the secondary characters were present enough -- and flesh-out enough -- to feel a real part of the story but didn't take the focus away from the hero & heroine.

I was drawn to the characters from the f
Shannon
Aww, this was just a really cute book. I thought the title was adorable in a corny sort of way and the premise was enough to get me hooked. I didn't know crap about about poker when I started playing poker and I still don't, but I think listening to Dyer's lessons helped me understand a bit more. I loved the romance. I thought it was realistic and there was enough sexual tension between Lottie and Dyer to keep things interesting. There one or two sexy scenes, but they weren't at all graphic. The ...more
Leah  St.James
I wish there were a mechanism to split stars in this ranking system. I'd love to give an extra half star for this story of a naive young woman who decides to raise money by joining up with gamblers on a riverboat in post-Civil War America. I enjoy that period of history, and Ms. Cooke did a credible job of capturing the resentment of the Southern people toward the victorious Yanks. (As a northerner living in southern Virginia, I can tell you I've been called Yankee more than once....and I'm not ...more
April
Free download for my Nook. I liked this one, though the likelihood of any woman in this era taking such a chance as this heroine did seems really tiny. She's being blackmailed, and her father is the one at risk should the blackmailer reveal whatever secrets he holds. It's generally hard for me to sympathize with a heroine who can be blackmailed, but this was easier for me to take because she's not the one in danger. She doesn't know if what the blackmailer "knows" is actually fact, but she can't ...more
Carla
What I liked about the book?

It was set in New Orleans and much of the South. The story was a good one. A man is blackmailing Lottie Mason's father and she has to find a way to pay him $15,000 dollars to keep her daddy from hanging. Lottie does not tell her father about the blackmailing, he is weak and a little out of it since returning from the War.

Lottie gets on a gambling boat on its way to ST Louis for a high stakes game. She tries to get Dyer who is the best gambler on the boat to teach her
Jacqueline
May 21, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone- even though it's a DNF for me, I didn't hate it, so others could still enjoy it!
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Impulse buy
Okay, so I've read to page 106. I don't like it, but I don't hate it either...since I'm now on my yearly Dark-Hunter series reread, I figured I'll let this one sit on my dresser for a few weeks.

Not sure if I'll end up finishing it or not, but either way I'll no doubt read one more chapter after my DH reread to decide if I'll finish or not.

It's rare, but sometimes a Book Pause does happen. Shocking, no doubt!

...

Pages Survived: 106
(May 21, 2010)
Nope. I changed me mind, LOL...While a Book Pause d
Stephanie
Texas Hold Him is a slight, simple read, and it’s hard to argue that the premise is anything awe-inspiring. The speed with which Lottie throws away her lady-like upbringing to go and work on a boat full of harlots and gamblers feels a little off, and the reader does wonder why she doesn’t go through more standard channels before resorting to playing poker as a way of saving her father. But once that initial disbelief is suspended, it’s all a good deal of fun: witty (and often crass) banter, unti ...more
Rachel Thompson
I downloaded this for free for my Sony e-reader.

Lottie finds herself the victim of a blackmail attempt. The only way to save her ailing father's life is to raise $15,000. After failing to make that much money materialize, she overhears a conversation about a poker player and decides poker is the only way to earn her money, but first she needs to convince Obediah Straights (or Dyer) to teach her how to play.

This was a fun, enjoyable read that didn't take itself too seriously. Dyer was a likable c
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Finally finished reading this book. Between the delay of starting it (it was BOM for one of my groups), the lure of other books calling my name, and then a lingering cold, that in itself is amazing, LOL!

I liked this story. I used to only want to read about innocent young ladies and Lottie was fun to read about. The poker info was presented in such a way as to hold my interest, but not too overpowering for someone who doesn't care that much about cards. I enjoyed the scenes between Dyer an
Kenzie
Wonderful romance in an interesting period. Loved the humor! A fun read.
Cynthia D'Alba
This is was a fun read. When the hero spoke, I kept hearing Clark Gable's voice. I'm sure this is a reflection of my many viewings of Gone With The Wind and in many ways, Dryer reminded me of Rhett Butler. Gambler. Ladies' Man. Lover. The heroine was wonderfully determined to win $15,000 and her rationale for doing so made sense. No one would ever believe that a novice could learn poker and play with the big boys but that's what fantasy is all about. So let go of that and enjoy the ride of this ...more
Kamille
A character names Dyer Straights isn't clever, it's punny. Not collectively stupid, but glad I didn't have to pay for it.
  • The Mistress' House
  • Legacy
  • Grace (Virtue, #1)
  • Never a Bride
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • The Privateer
  • Bridleton
  • When Love Comes (Night Riders, #5)
  • The English Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #1)
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Sold to the Highest Bidder
  • Bound by the Heart
  • Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)
  • Heart of a Knight
I started writing fiction at the age of forty-five. It wasn’t easy for me since my formal training is in science education. Lab reports are written very differently than novels or at least they’re supposed to be, though some of my students never fully understood that concept.

I made it my goal to be published by the time I retired from teaching. It took a lot of work and dedication, but four weeks
More about Lisa Cooke...
A Midwife Crisis An Heir to Spare (The Brotherhood Series, #2) Emma's Dilemma (The Brotherhood Series, #1) The Promised Child Boo! A Collection of True Ghost Stories

“I believe the way to solve this dilemma is if you marry me, so I’ll always be close by.”

Love swelled up in her heart. “I think I can manage that.”

“Good, ’cause the way I’ve got it figured, it’s the only way I can stay somewhere in the same vicinity as my balls.”

~Dryer and Charlotte”
4 likes
“He squeezed his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Perhaps you should invent a new deck with numbered pink butterflies and God cards."

~Dyer”